PDA

View Full Version : Castle Combe track day

Tim Williams
Friday 29th January 2010, 23:54
Ashok is organising a track day at Castle Combe on the Friday 2nd July, there will be free instruction for any who want it from Castle Combes own "Yoda" or for those that don't want to support Help The Aged there will be a professional driver there also offering free instruction. It is strictly none competitive being a track day and not a race day so all cars and drivers (with a licence!) are welcome. A helmet is required that can be hired from Castle Combe themselves, arms and legs must be covered but that's about it. It's on a Friday, the next day is the annual MRG meet just down the road that all are welcome to pop along to.

For more details you can look here http://forums.t5d5.org/2010-summer-p...ck-t10351.html and if interested please put your name down there or here.

1 Pyaap

2 A N Other

Al115
Saturday 30th January 2010, 18:44
Would love to! Don't think that I'd pass the noise limit though. Will check.

Thanks for posting up!

IC
Saturday 30th January 2010, 19:54
Would love to! Don't think that I'd pass the noise limit though. Will check.

Thanks for posting up!

Hi Alastair, you can buy inserts to temporarily muffle the exhaust - Merlin Motorsport at Combe would be able to advise.

daveforber
Saturday 30th January 2010, 21:29
I believe I'd be up for that ... in the novice class :D

Tim Williams
Saturday 30th January 2010, 23:21
I have forgot the exact noise level for Combe but will find out and post it, forced induction cars don't normally have a problem with the static test but it is the drive by at the end of the pit straight that can catch them out.

I look forward to seeing you Dave.

Al115
Sunday 31st January 2010, 00:07
Thanks Iain and Tim. THB I'd fail at Bedford and Coombe is 100db(A) static so I'd probably fail that too. I'll look at making it a bit quieter :)

daveforber
Sunday 31st January 2010, 16:02
How many spondulicks?

Tim Williams
Monday 1st February 2010, 08:52
It's £170.

Al are you sure your car is over 100db(A) static? Thats very loud, Ashoks T4 is is under 90 IIRC.

Al115
Monday 1st February 2010, 10:14
I think so, but I'll check it this month to be sure. It's absurdly loud... :(

Tim Williams
Saturday 6th February 2010, 19:15
This is just a cut and paste from the other forum to give some more details and conditions so if daveforber is still interested then please follow them.

Thanks

Tim

Payment Details

Hi all,

I now need to get all of the places for the MRG Volvo track day sorted out. Just to confirm, this is going to be an exclusive, open pit-lane event to be held at Castle Combe Racing Circuit, on Friday 2nd July 2010. Its only fair that I use the list that has already been posted, so in the first instance, I would like to ask that those with their names already up, please write “– CONFIRMED” next to your name so that I know that you’re definitely committing 100% for the event. We have to fill 25 places in total. Participants on the list will have to confirm their places in this way by Sunday 21st Feb 2010 (please spread the word to any interested parties from other forums).

Once that’s done, a non-refundable deposit of £100 must be sent to me no later than Sunday 28th Feb 2010. The balance of £50 must be paid in full by Sunday 4th April 2010 at the very latest. Only on receipt of full payment of £150 will a place be secured for the day; you can of course choose to pay the full £150 up front should you wish to do so.

I am organising and sorting all of this out by myself so I will be the point of call for anyone with any queries – please do not contact MRG about securing a place on the day as I have assumed all responsibility for that. In light of that fact, I would like to ask for the co-operation of all interested parties by adhering to the following requests please:

1. All monies paid should be out of cleared funds. I am happy to accept PAYPAL, cheque or bank transfer payments, but any charges which may be levied (particularly by PAYPAL) must be covered by the participant.
2. When payment is about to be made, please contact me by PM on the forum to let me know so that I can look out for it. Please do also let me know the means by which you’d like to pay so that I can give you the relevant details, e.g. Paypal address etc..
3. When making payment, please do indicate your name (actual) and forum username as a payment reference, so that I know whom the payment is from.
4. Payment is non-refundable; if there are any doubts about the possibility of making it on the day, please give it careful consideration before committing to the event.

Please be advised that spectators are welcomed for the event, and passenger rides out in the various cars will be free (subject to signing a disclaimer). There will be plenty of time for everyone to go out in the various cars etc., so please don’t feel that its not worth attending just because you may not want to drive your own car. There’s much more going to be happening on the day, which I cannot really post up about just yet, but suffice to say it will definitely be worthwhile attending!!

If there are any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

cookie
Wednesday 10th February 2010, 09:34
Just to update this thread

Right folks, I'm absolutely lost for words at the minute, but let me try to explain..........

Following further discussions with MRG Volvo, they have decided to support us in a way which is totally unprecedented. MRG Volvo have decided that they are going to be sponsoring the event by paying the balance (several thousand pounds!) for complete hire of the circuit for the day; hence its now going be an exclusive open pit-lane event, for our and their customers' use!!!

On account of this unprecedented generosity on their part, the cost per car (and driver) has fallen significantly to £150 (incl VAT) and we will have 25 places to fill. I will post up more about this and payment details in due course.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Neil Smedley, dealer principal and owner of MRG Volvo for being so kind in showing us their support in this way and I hope that the forum will continue to reciprocate this through out the year. Castle Combe Circuit have kindly re-arranged their schedule to accommodate an exclusive event for us on 2nd July 2010 and I've today booked the day with them. There’s more planned to be taking place on the day, which I’m not at liberty to disclose for the time being, but its going to be the biggest performance oriented Volvo meet of its kind in the UK and one hell of a cracking weekend - that’s for sure!!!

EVENT NOW OPEN TO 30 PARTICIPANTS

Right guys and gals,

Due to the overwhelming interest, I've re-negotiated with Castle Coombe and they have offered me a better deal, including free instruction with 2 of their ARDS instructors (which originally could not be included on account of the remarkable rate they offered me – my apologies for that oversight on my part), free helmet hire, free passenger rides, 12 cars out on circuit at any one time (up from 6) so there should be no long queues to get out on track BUT we will have to fill up 30 spaces at the same rate of £150. So whilst the cost remains the same, it is a better deal overall and will ensure that those on the current "reserve" list can be included and confirm their places, the fact is we will have an additional 5 spaces to fill from what I had previously arranged. Its still an exceptional deal as anyone who knows about or does track days will tell you, so I hope that I can count on the support to make the numbers up within the same time frame already set out.

This is an unprecedented chance at a track day, or just to come along, have a passenger lap or 3, with a mix of abilities from total novices to Pro's in a totally Volvo orientated day, with the chance to drive as much or as little as you want.

S70T5Chris
Friday 12th February 2010, 21:40
This forum makes you laugh sometimes......

You've got the BIGGEST and BEST performance volvo meet of the year. A track day at Castle Combe, with the whole track TO OUR SELVES for the whole day, the biggest volvo meet of the year at the MRG volvo dealership, and you get next to f*ck all interest from THE VOLVO PERFORMANCE CLUB. Funny that.

volvolised
Friday 12th February 2010, 21:56
Well said chris...(say's he without volvo anymore, after 8 years,:rolling_e)...but when i did catch up i have more than enjoyed the meets with our fellow members.....get too a meet and then you can take peeps on face value not keyboard warriors.... catch up......

Tomcat
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:23
At the end of the day that will be upto the members to decide, bleeting on about it won't help.I'm not coming because I've no money at the moment, fraid I can't speak for anyone else. Chis, can you please knock the attitude on the head it's getting very old now, any chance to stick the boot in and there you are.

irf
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:33
he's got a point though.

it was THE biggest volvo meet last year. going to be even bigger this year.

it's at a volvo dealership where work can be done at reduced rates.

that same volvo dealership has already put money down to pay for the tracktime.

£150 for castle combe ALL day in the middle of summer!

and yet not one person has shown any interest. it truly doesn't bother me as this will be my second last post on this forum . i don't have a volvo anymore, have an accord type r now which i'm sure many here will think is slow. in a straightline it probably is compared to some but it'll be at combe in pretty much standard spec with a driver who hasn't driven there before....

Tomcat
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:37
As I said I can't comment on why our members don't choose to take up the offer, however I am getting sick of backhanded insults and slurs against this forum, if you hate it so much Chris then don't come here.

volvolised
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:50
TC what is insulting about chris's post apart from trying to drum up support for something you have in common "volvo", it's people like you who are making this anything but a chance for an even greater meet at mrg than last year..

Tomcat
Friday 12th February 2010, 22:55
*Cough*...People like me?.....and what exactly have I done to disuade people from coming?, if they're going to come then that's entirely upto them I don't think moaning about it is going to help anyone, as I already said.

volvolised
Friday 12th February 2010, 23:08
*Cough*...People like me?.....and what exactly have I done to disuade people from coming?, if they're going to come then that's entirely upto them I don't think moaning about it is going to help anyone, as I already said.

Cough (must be catching)....people like you refers to posts #14 and #16...at no point do you refer to the meet having anything positive for the volvo followers, chris on the other hand seems to feel it is a great meet...as do many of us that have been before.....so if you've not been before go it is a realy great meet...

Tomcat
Friday 12th February 2010, 23:16
Meh all I said was that I couldn't come and that I could't comment on why others weren't taking up the offer, I have no objection to the day being promoted on here, what I do object to is certain people's methods of doing this.... This is productive and promoting the day is it?

"and you get next to f*ck all interest from THE VOLVO PERFORMANCE CLUB. Funny that."

At the end of the day we're all Volvo enthusiasts and anything that promotes the brand and gives us something to do is a good thing, just don't go bringing a sh*ty attitude when you come to try and generate more interest.

Al115
Saturday 13th February 2010, 01:03

Chris, you make me laugh sometimes, but hey, we're all friends here :)

Good on Ashok for organising it and I hope the event gets loads of support - it deserves to! I'm sure it will be an epic day.

On my side, no point tracking my (or any) Volvo when I've got access to a couple of more track-friendly cars. I'll be at Brands within the month in one of them... hope it's not raining (or snowing) but the odds aren't good.

Justin
Monday 15th February 2010, 19:54

You've got the BIGGEST and BEST performance volvo meet of the year. A track day at Castle Combe, with the whole track TO OUR SELVES for the whole day, the biggest volvo meet of the year at the MRG volvo dealership, and you get next to f*ck all interest from THE VOLVO PERFORMANCE CLUB. Funny that.

Perhaps its the clientele attending, have fun wont you :)

S70T5Chris
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:01
Hey, I was quite restrained in not replying to any of the crap from TC. I thought that would put an end to it rather than continuing another row for you lot to moan about.

A lot of the people attending are very good friends of mine. So I find that snide comment quite offensive, and I'm quite pissed off now.

t5 pete
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:10

Its obviously catching as you will most likey know i am in the process of organising a meet at york this year on the 30th of may, that also was a very good meet last year with many volvos attending.
I have had very good intrest from the volvo performance club and also the volvo owners club, can you explain to me why i havent had one reply from the t5d5 club.
So iN reality dont just be knocking this club when the t5d5 are doing the exact same at least tim got a few replys from here i didnt even get one from t5d5 maybe you should go and tell them aswell that there forum makes you laugh sometimes..... and we get F*CK ALL FROM THE T5D5 CLUB.
Heres a link to it http://forums.t5d5.org/york-raceway-rwyb-24th-t10199-pid-118947.html#entry118947 .

Justin
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:19
Hey, I was quite restrained in not replying to any of the crap from TC. I thought that would put an end to it rather than continuing another row for you lot to moan about.

A lot of the people attending are very good friends of mine. So I find that snide comment quite offensive, and I'm quite pissed off now.

Ahh bless :)
Like Al said, were all friends here, no need to take offence.

Yosser
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:20
I hesitate to get involved in this, but I'm on t5d5 and on here and I WAS intending to go to York - as I had posted on the thread on this site.

I'm more than likely not going now, but only due to lack of funds - nothing to do with who organised what.

I went last year and enjoyed it (as did Dooby off t5d5) - although I did get a snide remark about my t5d5 t-shirt...

Justin
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:23
By the sounds of things there will be some vpcuk t-shirts being worn that day, you can get your own back mate :)

S70T5Chris
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:25
Ahh bless :)
Like Al said, were all friends here, no need to take offence.

fine, you win.

Justin
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:25
It wasnt a game Chris, just an observation :)

irf
Monday 15th February 2010, 20:42
to be fair, T5pete has a point, no-one posted up on your thread pete, i can't comment on why but like i say, fair point.

It is a shame though.

i think we're pretty close to making up all the numbers for the trackday at combe now anyway as there are some people who aren't listed on the relevant thread.

Engineer
Tuesday 16th February 2010, 19:11
I wish you guys would stop slagging off the Volvo forums as most of us after all are members on all of them, even if we choose to lay our hat at one more than another.

No one person is bigger than any forum and traders especially should remember that, as well as forum mods and owners IMHO.

Sure we all take the mickey sometimes but I still count the many friends I have made on all of them so this joke is for everybody who wants to see our cars shine.................so cut the c--p and support each other...........

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/s70rmte/gifs/volvounited.gif

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 17:28
That's a fair point Gary, and one I shall remember in the future.

I do have a tendency to get a bit carried away, especially in the heat of the moment. Perhaps I was a little overboard in my original opinion, which still stands by the way, and would maybe do well to tone it down a bit in the future. Appolgies to all I offended.

I'll do my best to back off my 'attacks' on this forum... unless I really have a serious gripe!! :lol: :hidesbehi Afterall, this was the first forum I joined, back when it was volvo-t5, years and years and years ago! and I have made a lot of friends here too.

I hope that some of the other members, and a few of the moderators (you know who you are punks :uglyhamme) take note of your point as well Gary.

See, thats all we needed, someone who's (much, much, much) older and wiser to show us the light! :worship: :hilarious

:beer:

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 17:31
Its obviously catching as you will most likey know i am in the process of organising a meet at york this year on the 30th of may, that also was a very good meet last year with many volvos attending.
I have had very good intrest from the volvo performance club and also the volvo owners club, can you explain to me why i havent had one reply from the t5d5 club.
So iN reality dont just be knocking this club when the t5d5 are doing the exact same at least tim got a few replys from here i didnt even get one from t5d5 maybe you should go and tell them aswell that there forum makes you laugh sometimes..... and we get F*CK ALL FROM THE T5D5 CLUB.
Heres a link to it http://forums.t5d5.org/york-raceway-rwyb-24th-t10199-pid-118947.html#entry118947 .

Pete, I don't why you didn't get any replies. I personally never saw the post, but I would of thought you would of had some interest from the guys up that neck of the woods. So it is a bad show on the part of the T5D5 members.

Hope the meet goes well.

t5 pete
Wednesday 17th February 2010, 17:42
Pete, I don't why you didn't get any replies. I personally never saw the post, but I would of thought you would of had some interest from the guys up that neck of the woods. So it is a bad show on the part of the T5D5 members.

Hope the meet goes well.

Yeah its a shame really as were all volvo members and should all get along.
It would have been good if some from t5d5 attended as theres alot of people on there with good mods and knoledge just like the other clubs, which alot of members from all the clubs can benifit from.
Enjoy yor day a castle combe and hopefully next year both events will recieve more intrest from all the clubs.
Cheers pete