PDA

View Full Version : Air Con Question

Martinr
Friday 17th June 2005, 12:58
Just had a guy look at my system because it's not too cool.

Hoped it would be a re-gas job but he has found a hole in the condensor where a stone has gone through :(

As it has been open to the atmosphere he says the Receiver Dryer also needs changing as it will have absorbed moisture. ECP do the bits for around £175

Anyone changed one of these? Degree of difficulty? Also I think you need a special tool to disconnect the pipes on the dryer anyone know a source for these?

Thanks

siamblue
Friday 17th June 2005, 13:16
I thought the Condensor was the big round thing behind the rad?Maybe i am wrong but that isn't going to be cheap replacing and repairing that lot,
Anyone else shed some light for this guy?

Gary

Justin
Friday 17th June 2005, 13:17
I had a new dryer unit on mine, about £80, i know a mobile man that is awesome and cheap too, will supply and fit you bits onsite and then regas ;)

Martinr
Friday 17th June 2005, 14:33
Condensor is in front of radiator, looks the same.

Big round thing is the receiver/dryer basically a filter full of silica gel that absorbs moisture. If this isn't changed when the system has been open to atmosphere for some time the contents will freeze when the air con is used and this will block the system.

To get at the condensor it looks like you need to access it from the engine side. I thought maybe remove intercooler plumbing, and then leaving rad pipes and coolant intact release rad from front panel and then tip backwards. It appears the condensor then slides up and out. (This is the theory, not looked at Haynes yet as at work :) )

Condensor at ECP is £131.25 and Receiver/Dryer £41.95

Justin. Might get that name off you for a quote. Hoping that as system been dry for some time other leaks won't be an issue (E.g. Evaporator).

Justin
Friday 17th June 2005, 14:37
Let me know ;)

siamblue
Friday 17th June 2005, 15:30
Just had my aircon fully serviced at Braydons, With todays heat i am glad i got it done, Missus still thinks it wasn't important to spend the money on it :slap: It's alright for her she is used to the heat, Not this little white boy,

oliwally
Friday 17th June 2005, 18:13
If it has round couplings there quite easy to remove.
Get an old rattle can lid,Like WD40,The flexibale type,Cut the top off and Straight Down One Side.
find which way the 'Push In' part is,Then wrap whats left of the lid around the pipe and trim off the excess.
Once you have done that,You simply push in and pull apart if that makes sence?.
Broke the tool at work and thought that up in a panic.

If its been dry for some time I'd recomend having the system flushed through,make sure they use liquid refridgerent and not solvent cleaners.
and make sure they add some more oil.
If your fitting this lot yourself then the flush and gas should only be 2-3 hours charge.

siamblue
Friday 17th June 2005, 20:47
When my car went into Braydons last week, They put it on a vaccuum to make sure it was holding alright,Otherwise it would be pointless gassing it up, Then they put a sealant in and oil and gassed it,
The aircon only had 50grams of gas in it,
Now it is ice cold all of the time,

Gary.

oliwally
Friday 17th June 2005, 21:48
I'm not knocking it,But I have never seen the vacuum gauges move,Even when i found a dirty great hole in the condenser. The basic aircon machines arnt the best.
When we carry out aircon servicing,We always add leak seaker dyes.
At least were not talking about galaxys :doh: