PDA

View Full Version : boost gauge

leet5r
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 21:52
hello guys i have just finished fittin my boost gauge in my air vent next to the windo , i will get some pics up soon , it wasnt that hard to do really

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 21:53
come on herry up with the pics lol what psi does it say you are running

leet5r
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 22:13
come on herry up with the pics lol what psi does it say you are running

haha not enough m8 if thats what ya mean , av had a few drinks so couldnt test it lol , al take it for a spin tomo and see what were doin haha , its runnin rich a think like so am goin to get a air fuel ratio gauge next then get it all checked over , and was thinkin about a side exit exhaust right next to the down pipe lol

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 16:47
right av had the ovlov out this morning like . i think i have the acuatour wound up to tight lol , its peakin at 20psi in 3rd gear from about 30mph then drops off to 12. any ideas like peeps. is there an upgrade acuatour you can put on the turbo .

p fandango
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 16:54
is there an upgrade acuatour you can put on the turbo .
19t's have a tigher actuator, not 100% if its a direct fit or not but as its off the same turbo range i would of thought there is a good chance of it

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 16:57
19t's have a tigher actuator, not 100% if its a direct fit or not but as its off the same turbo range i would of thought there is a good chance of it

cheers pal , a spoke to rufe and there a few quid like , just when i was into the cosworths you could get an -31 or -34 to help keep a higher boost like lol. av got 1 some where but it will take me an age to find in from the bat shed like lol , how much is a r clutch like by any chance

p fandango
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:06
cheers pal , a spoke to rufe and there a few quid like , just when i was into the cosworths you could get an -31 or -34 to help keep a higher boost like lol. av got 1 some where but it will take me an age to find in from the bat shed like lol , how much is a r clutch like by any chance
how about converting a cossie actuator to fit onto your turbo? Not as high as 30psi tho lol

just had a look on PFS & they didn't list an R clutch, & haven't got vadis on this computer to look up for you. Dearest 850 clutch on PFS was £232

irf
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:10
apart from a tightened actuator dose the car have any other mods?

Jamest5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:15
Complete r clutch from Rufe £187.42, Bearing £34.15. I know i just bought one:B_thumb:

And where is the photo? i want to put two dials in my centre vent, how hard is it to get them out mate? all advice welcome

Rnash2002
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:43
Complete r clutch from Rufe £187.42, Bearing £34.15. I know i just bought one:B_thumb:

And where is the photo? i want to put two dials in my centre vent, how hard is it to get them out mate? all advice welcome
The vents just pop out.

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:44
how about converting a cossie actuator to fit onto your turbo? Not as high as 30psi tho lol

just had a look on PFS & they didn't list an R clutch, & haven't got vadis on this computer to look up for you. Dearest 850 clutch on PFS was £232

cheers pal

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:46
apart from a tightened actuator dose the car have any other mods?

it has a daft max power air filter and a bleed valve , and an arse behide the wheel if that helps lol. it wont go past 5.5 revs like , its had a complete stage 0 in the last few weeks and the headgasket done aswell . i want to get the reverse interrcooler pipework done and some sort of turbo and injector upgrade as soon as funds allow

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:48

i put my gauge in the vent next to the drivers door , its best if you pm me your phone number then al be able to talk you thro it cos its a bit fiddly lol

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:49

i was thinkin that like , cos av seen an rs turbo running a 16t with over 230bhp on a 1.6 cvh , if a find or get another 1 al have a go and let yous know lol

irf
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:50
it has a daft max power air filter and a bleed valve , and an arse behide the wheel if that helps lol. it wont go past 5.5 revs like , its had a complete stage 0 in the last few weeks and the headgasket done aswell . i want to get the reverse interrcooler pipework done and some sort of turbo and injector upgrade as soon as funds allow

just my own opinion but i'd turn the bleed valve down so it doesn't go over 14psi. asking for trouble imho.

have you replaced hoses and checked for boost leaks? if you have and it still wont go past 5.5k it could be a blocked cat which would make it even more important to turn the boost down.

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:54
just my own opinion but i'd turn the bleed valve down so it doesn't go over 14psi. asking for trouble imho.

have you replaced hoses and checked for boost leaks? if you have and it still wont go past 5.5k it could be a blocked cat which would make it even more important to turn the boost down.

sorry it has a full set of samcos in blue lol , if a get anothe acuator am goin to take the bleed valve off all together like and fiddle with the actuator to get the boost rite , av been thinkin of bypassin the bosst controller so it boosts the same in each gear , cos av been told that lol

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 17:55

and av been toyin with the idea of just runnin a 3 inch down pipe into side exit flame thrower aswell like , i just need some cash and fast , hows the type r going

irf
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 18:01
sorry, getting a bit confused here but why do you want a tighter actuator when you're hitting 20psi?

is it because it doesn't hold it till the redline?

if it is and i could be wrong but it could be because your ecu is trying to protect the car. it's on the standard map and you're running 20psi so i'd have thought it just **** itself and is retarding timing and lowering the boost to stay alive.

if the car was mine the first thing i'd do is take the bleed valve off and see how the car performs. does it hit the boost it's supposed to?

only then would i use the bleed valve and set it up to hit about 12-14psi.

problem is, if you set it to even 14-15psi it will drop to maybe 10-12psi at redline.

getting a ****load of boost low down only to see it disappear at the top end is (again imho) great for lazy driving but not so great when you're going all out. bit like a turbo diesel. okay, a LOT like a turbo diesel.

edit. the type R is great thanks, a bit slow all out compared to my old volvo but a brilliant drivers car. wouldn't surprise me if i end up lapping the ring quicker lol

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 18:07
sorry, getting a bit confused here but why do you want a tighter actuator when you're hitting 20psi?

is it because it doesn't hold it till the redline?

if it is and i could be wrong but it could be because your ecu is trying to protect the car. it's on the standard map and you're running 20psi so i'd have thought it just **** itself and is retarding timing and lowering the boost to stay alive.

if the car was mine the first thing i'd do is take the bleed valve off and see how the car performs. does it hit the boost it's supposed to?

only then would i use the bleed valve and set it up to hit about 12-14psi.

problem is, if you set it to even 14-15psi it will drop to maybe 10-12psi at redline.

getting a ****load of boost low down only to see it disappear at the top end is (again imho) great for lazy driving but not so great when you're going all out. bit like a turbo diesel. okay, a LOT like a turbo diesel.

edit. the type R is great thanks, a bit slow all out compared to my old volvo but a brilliant drivers car. wouldn't surprise me if i end up lapping the ring quicker lol

its hard to explain in words lol, i have just fitted a after market boost gauge so i could see what i was runnin .
i got the gauge fitted late last nite and didnt test it till this mornin. if am in 1st and plant it the gauge reads 12 (i think i will double check later ) and each gear it stays at 12 , i onlt tryed the 1st 3 gears lol ran out of road.
but if i am say doin 30mph in 3rd gear then plant it it hits 20psi then drops to 12 .
i know its hard to say with out seing the car , cheers bud

irf
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 18:16
that's normal. i think the normal way to test the boost is to run it in fourth or fifth gear. something to do with load which in your case means 20+ psi. totally up to you mate but i'd turn it down.

leet5r
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 18:21
that's normal. i think the normal way to test the boost is to run it in fourth or fifth gear. something to do with load which in your case means 20+ psi. totally up to you mate but i'd turn it down.

al have a look at it tomo and see what its doin like , cheers

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 15:38
i had the car out like and its peakin at 20psi then droppin to 12psi like in every gear , so does that mean the actuator is wound up to tight

p fandango
Thursday 28th January 2010, 15:39
i had the car out like and its peakin at 20psi then droppin to 12psi like in every gear , so does that mean the actuator is wound up to tight
BT used to boost to 20.8psi & i've never touched the actuator, mine was due to a split elbow which was acting like a bleed valve lol

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 16:00
BT used to boost to 20.8psi & i've never touched the actuator, mine was due to a split elbow which was acting like a bleed valve lol

mines got a bleed valve on like , the in car boost gauage doesnt show it like , it must be a little delayed lol. av just changed all the pipe work when the head was done like pal

p fandango
Thursday 28th January 2010, 16:22
mines got a bleed valve on like , the in car boost gauage doesnt show it like , it must be a little delayed lol. av just changed all the pipe work when the head was done like pal
assuming you mean the factory boost guage there shouldn't of been a delay as its purely mechanical & uses a vac pipe to move the needle

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/580/interior5.jpg

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 16:31
yeah that 1 goes to the end of the white , but the after market 1 goes to 20 then drops to 12 , but i have that conected to the vac tree

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 18:30
Quote.... hello guys i have just finished fittin my boost gauge in my air vent next to the windo , i will get some pics up soon , it wasnt that hard to do really

:worthless:hidesbehi

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:12
Quote.... hello guys i have just finished fittin my boost gauge in my air vent next to the windo , i will get some pics up soon , it wasnt that hard to do really

:worthless:hidesbehi

give me time man , your like a woman lol , it looks like a boost gauge in a wooden block covered in leather and it lights up blue lol hope that helps lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:14
give me time man , your like a woman lol , it looks like a boost gauge in a wooden block covered in leather and it lights up blue lol hope that helps lol

Sounds like a knocking shop to me mate lol

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:24
Sounds like a knocking shop to me mate lol

i dont know how to put the pics on this thread , but i can put them in my album m8 , so they should come on on the bottom of the home page

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:27
i dont know how to put the pics on this thread , but i can put them in my album m8 , so they should come on on the bottom of the home page

Just click on the paper clip and select what you want from your pics and upload as thumbnails that's what i do

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:29
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=221&pictureid=1630
a hope ya happy lol

cameron
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:44
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/t5r1.jpg

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 20:49
Cheers lee and cam, i want to do similar with 2 dials in the centre vents but would like to just trim the plastic out is this impossible??

bonus
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:01
james,you can just use a hole cutter on the vent if you want to leave some of the fins there,i did with a gauge on my old t4(looked like a pile of £££££e like!)

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:01
its pretty easy to do the boost gauge ,i just ran the air pipe down the side of the dash behind the door seal , if ya at york al show you m8

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:11
its pretty easy to do the boost gauge ,i just ran the air pipe down the side of the dash behind the door seal , if ya at york al show you m8

Cheers mate, look forward to york just looked at your gallery shots nice car mate love the colour but imho you need to drop the rear end a bit. T5r's nothing rarer or better>

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:13
Cheers mate, look forward to york just looked at your gallery shots nice car mate love the colour but imho you need to drop the rear end a bit. T5r's nothing rarer or better>

yeah m8 theres a coil coming off this weekend a think like lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:28
Yeah one coil off the back will be about perfect, easy job as well on the rears

p fandango
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:31
Yeah one coil off the back will be about perfect, easy job as well on the rears
i've got to cut both front & rears on BT, there not pig-tails top & bottom on the front are they mate?

leet5r
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:49
Just click on the paper clip and select what you want from your pics and upload as thumbnails that's what i do

a cant see any paper clip m8 lol

p fandango
Thursday 28th January 2010, 21:53
a cant see any paper clip m8 lol

on the reply screen, just to the right of the smilie face icon