PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 Estate Nivomat Suspension

ken10
Friday 17th June 2005, 06:50
Hi Guys. Hope someone can help me on this:-

I have the Nivomat self levelling rear suspension on my 850 T5 estate. The ride at the back end, in my opinion is pretty hard and harsh. I was told that this is due to the stiff Nivomats on my car. I do not carry heavy loads most of the time and the self levelling suspension feature is not that important to me.

One day I will need to replace the Nivomats when they start to fail. As the Nivomats are quite a costly item, I was wondering if anyone has replaced their Nivomats to a normal suspension setup to give a more comfortable ride. I was told that if I were to replace the Nivomats to the conventional suspension system, I would have to replace my existing coils as well to match the new absorbers.

My question is :- What is the best coil / shock absorber combination to replace my current rear suspension to give a more comfortable ride while maitaining the existing ride height of my car.

I have been looking at the Eibach coils. Any suggestions for matching shock absorbers for the Eibach? Are the Eibachs any good? Will be grateful for any feedbacks on the Eibach.

Thanks!

siamblue
Friday 17th June 2005, 09:45
If you wanted to do it cheaply you could go to ECP and get a set of 4 lowering springs for £111 inc and a set of rears shock for around £60 the pair,

Really easy to fit as well,

Gary

PS I'll buy the front springs if you don't need them ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th June 2005, 10:13
VT have an awesome setup. Eibach springs and monroe reflex shocks. I removed my knackered Nivs on my R with this setup and it is handsome!

ken10
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 01:51
Wobbly Dave & Siamblue - Thanks for your feedback!

Wobbly Dave - was there any reduction in your ride height when you replaced your Nivs with the Eibach / Monroe Reflex setup? If so, how much was it lowered? The reason I'm asking is that I'm afraid of my car bottoming out when going over "speed- bumps" at my office carpark.

Thanks

Martinr
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 09:09
I received this newsflash from VT

New T5 Budget Suspension Upgrade Option
=======================================
Due to popular demand, we've introduced a new range of budget
suspension
options for the 850 T5, S/V70 T5 classic and C70 T5 -

Lowering Kit Only (all round) -
40 mm drop (20 mm for C70)
Price - £299 inc VAT, supplied and fitted.

Lowring Kit and Shocks (all round) -
As above with the lowering kit plus shocks
Price - £648 inc VAT supplied and fitted.

If you are interested, just give us a call.

Regards,
Chip Tuning Team
www.volvotuninguk.com
tel: +44 (0)1527 577710

Might be of interest

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 21st June 2005, 13:04
Wobbly Dave & Siamblue - Thanks for your feedback!

Wobbly Dave - was there any reduction in your ride height when you replaced your Nivs with the Eibach / Monroe Reflex setup? If so, how much was it lowered? The reason I'm asking is that I'm afraid of my car bottoming out when going over "speed- bumps" at my office carpark.

Thanks
I have had no problems with speed bumps* and the ride height - which is already lower as standard on the 850R is no different. For the standard 850 would be approx. 35mm and I doubt you'll have any probs

*there are plenty of nasty ones in Brum.