PDA

View Full Version : Ignition quirk - help please!

Flatout Phil
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:21
Pulled the keys from the ignition tonight - and the radio stayed on, as did the heater fan and the aircon light. Twiddled and tweaked the keys again, all switched off as it should. Used car a bit later, same problem - and this time it won't go away. Any suggestions? Usually, turning the keys to the off position would switch everything to off. Curiously, the head/taillights all do switch off - just not the internal fan, radio or aircon lights. Can see this might lead to a flat battery if not careful. Have lubed the barrel, but suspect a relay or similar somewhere. Ideas welcomed.

Tomcat
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:24
Could well be the switch on the back of the barrell, maybe it's broken and not engagine with the connection from the barrell, maybe worth taking it apart and having a look. I know that the ignition switch is prone to going faulty but all that usually happens is you have to turn the key back a little after starting to get the dash warning lights to go out.

t5 stealth
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:27
Could well be the switch on the back of the barrell, maybe it's broken and not engagine with the connection from the barrell, maybe worth taking it apart and having a look. I know that the ignition switch is prone to going faulty but all that usually happens is you have to turn the key back a little after starting to get the dash warning lights to go out.

i agree with tomcat........common fault
usually caused by to many keys & too many hanging things on the key ring lol...the weight pulls down on the barrel.

Flatout Phil
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:27

The car is punishing me for lending it (well, more like 'I'm having that for the day' cos it's got seven seats) to the wife yesterday!!!

Tomcat
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:30
They're good at doing things like that, they wait until they're lulled you into a false sense of security and then they baffell you with a wierd fault that has symptoms completley un related to it.

Flatout Phil
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:30
They're good at doing things like that, they wait until they're lulled you into a false sense of security and then they baffell you with a wierd fault that has symptoms completley un related to it.

Wives or cars?

Or both....

Tomcat
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:33
Er........Lol..

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 16:17
I have not got the time to do a fix until the weekend, but oddly enough I discovered that by removing the keys and pressing the horn that everything switches off (I can see the double entendres coming thick and fast now...). So I have a temporary fix - and a clue to the problem?

Tomcat
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 16:40
Er.........Your horn is broken???,lol.

cookie
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 19:57
try putting keys back in, turn key, thump cowling behind steering wheel , then remove keys, 460 does it occasionally, usually when its very cold and damp. Never had a problem starting car, but a few times spent a few mins trying to stop it :)

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 21:01
Er.........Your horn is broken???,lol.

No, the horn is fine - but pushing the horn push seems to now switch off everything that ought to be switched off when the keys are removed. Weird. But suspect the switch you mentioned is probably to blame.