PDA

View Full Version : Next Scottish Meet

t5_monkey
Monday 25th January 2010, 16:55
Just to get the bidding started.... :deal:

not wanting to tread on the toes of any organisers - or indeed anyone who wants to organise something (And don't ask me to organise it - I'm rubbish at stuff like that!) So I thought I'd just start a thread and see where it goes.

Anyone fancy it? if so where and when ?

Crail's been mentioned so far - Dunno when the events are on there tho

If Crail isn't a boat floater...how about... Speed Sunday @ Knockhill on the 21st Feb? There is the buying a ticket issue, personally I don't mind what do other people think?

johnm
Monday 25th January 2010, 17:57
Slighty skint for next month with having to buy a new radiator, wishbone and give it a service, However if a few folk are headin to either i'm sure i could find some funds to come for the banter...

gmain1967
Monday 25th January 2010, 20:33
Now that things are coming together, I wouldn't mind bringing the Turbo Banana up - the Knockhill suggestion would get my vote!

thebadger
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:45
TBH the idea of racing on a track may not get too many votes... too much risk & costs.

I'd be up for it, but again, still need a lot of cash for doing a track day. I'd suggest a track day in the summer when we can all get a nice day for it!

The last big "hike" we all took was donkeys back to Ft Agustus.

I do fancy a run north... or maybe a borders hike? Hook up with some of the Yorkshire/NE boys?

Either way, another meet next month would be nice.

gmain1967
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:59
A "nice day" at Knockhill????!!!!

Don't think I have ever had a nice warm sunny day up there, in all the years since I first went (about 1985 I think)...

If Scotland can have four seasons in a day, Knockhill can do that in an hour!

You may be correct with the comments on the track day badger - couldn't it just be a "meet" that happens to be at Knockhill, but not automatically that everyone pays to go out on track?

johnm
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:02
TBH the idea of racing on a track may not get too many votes... too much risk & costs.

I'd be up for it, but again, still need a lot of cash for doing a track day. I'd suggest a track day in the summer when we can all get a nice day for it!

The last big "hike" we all took was donkeys back to Ft Agustus.

I do fancy a run north... or maybe a borders hike? Hook up with some of the Yorkshire/NE boys?

Either way, another meet next month would be nice.

Like the sound of a run. Was also discussed that the VOC are having a meet in doune on the 28th of feb. I'm too poor to afford petrol for trackday/crail/ run so would suggest possibly goin to the meet with them then headin somewhere for food again. Then in late march organize a wee run down the borders or up north and make a good day of it. With plenty time to stop somewhere for food and discuss the previous miles of heroic driving pmsl..

Also S60 is planning a run to campletown in the summer which will also be a full day run from early morning to late afternoon..

thebadger
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:39
Yeah, agreed John, the time of year is the main issue.

The weather will be rotten, so it may as well just be a run with a bit of a meet, save the track for later in the year.

If we can hook up with another meet it may turn into a convoy!

The run up Glencoe way is pretty awesome!

That road I mentioned about is from Aberfeldy up over to Balmore, then over to Calvine on the A9.

I've worked out that it's about 100 miles to there from Glasgow.

The other option is the Glen Fruin Road by Loch Lomond.

johnm
Monday 25th January 2010, 22:47
I'm up for any of these roads. Just hopefully in march when i have the money to drive them lol...

Sayin that though i will just follow the crowd..

thebadger
Monday 25th January 2010, 23:04
The Fruin has mega bends & sweeping turns (made for big trucks as I told you), the other road is more twisty, narrow & bumpy, but has some awesome views & like I said, some fun straights that go on for quite a while!

I'm also up for just about anywhere (as long as a full tank will get me there & home again!) but would prefer somewhere with a good road to drive!

S60
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 16:08
for me both crail and knockhill are out dont think i'll have enough money to have enough petrol to get to crail and back and knockhill i wouldn't go on track cos i don't want to get rear ended by a ned in a 2 litre corsa with no brakes lol i mentioned in the previous thread on the other scottish meet about the voc thing plus another run so if anybody wants to choose one or suggest somethin else take a look and see what u think

t5_monkey
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 21:06
I think personally I wouldn't have the ££££££££ to take mine on a track full of nut-bags in track only cars.

There is CRAIL FAST CAR DAY - 28th Feb

How about a Rondevous at or near QueensFerry BP (for some of that 'ultimate rocket fuel') early and then for those who fancy it a morning blast up to Crail for some 1/4 mile action??

Those who prefer a lie in can join the party at Crail? :flying:

Only issue will be every copper and speed van in existence will be lining the routes to crail on that day...

I just read the bit about Doune - how about meeting at Doune with the regular volvo hounds and then a run for those who fancy it if it's a nice day ?

Don't seen the link on VOC for the Doune meet tho.. is it still on?

gmain1967
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 21:23
Yeah, agreed John, the time of year is the main issue.

The weather will be rotten, so it may as well just be a run with a bit of a meet, save the track for later in the year.

If we can hook up with another meet it may turn into a convoy!

The run up Glencoe way is pretty awesome!

That road I mentioned about is from Aberfeldy up over to Balmore, then over to Calvine on the A9.

I've worked out that it's about 100 miles to there from Glasgow.

The other option is the Glen Fruin Road by Loch Lomond.

I agree it would be a good run, just that for myself, that is a near 300 mile trip from door to door.... Guess that is one of the joys with having folks from the far flung extremities of Scotland.....! Any forum members from Shetland - though I doubt they'll be online just now seeing as it's Up Helly Aa tonight!!!!!

S60
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 21:54
to be honest for me moneys tight just now and will be for a lot of ppl for me its a definite no plus with all the police attention that'll be around goin to crail it wouldnt be enjoyable either

Mr Sheen
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 13:18
The Police at Crail are usually on look out for number plates and tints or ropey looking Nova's. Most decent stuff doesn't get a second look. Though the camera vans will be out.

www.crailthrash.co.uk

johnm
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 15:46
[/I]

I just read the bit about Doune - how about meeting at Doune with the regular volvo hounds and then a run for those who fancy it if it's a nice day ?

Don't seen the link on VOC for the Doune meet tho.. is it still on?

Yeah it still on. They said that more info would be posted at the begining of feb!

S60
Friday 29th January 2010, 15:30
so whats happenin then have we decided on doune or somethin else?

kev240
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:20
Hi Guys,
The Scottish Section of the Volvo Owners Club are holding their February meeting on Sunday 28th February, at the Scottish Arts & Antique Centre, Doune, Stirlingshire, at around 13:30.
The venue is located on the A84, Stirling > Callander Road, (Postcode FK16 6HG), not as stimulating as a track day at Knockhill, or a thrash at Crail, but if you fancy a visit, we will be glad to see you.
Check out VOC Forums for further information.
Everyone Welcome.
Kevin,
Scottish Section Secretary,
Volvo Owners Club.

thebadger
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:53
Sounds very possible! :)

johnm
Saturday 30th January 2010, 01:45
Thinkin that my plan. Done the last meet on £50 of petrol so i think i can stretch to that this month lol

S60
Saturday 30th January 2010, 01:52
well i think thats decided then for this month :)

t5_monkey
Saturday 30th January 2010, 18:50
I'll be there!

What time we all meeting up? - 130pm like the regular volvo heads?

gmain1967
Saturday 30th January 2010, 21:21
I'm going to try and make it up with the turbo banana T4!

Things will be a bit tight money wise however, as we are going from weekly paid to fortnightly paid that weekend, so no money for two weeks....!

Cheers

johnm
Friday 5th February 2010, 22:05
I'm out for this month's meet. Really strapped for cash and i've got a birthday party that night so i need to keep the money for that. Plus with the volvo still needin fixed i really don't have any money.

t5_monkey
Saturday 27th February 2010, 18:13
OK so who's going to this thing tmrw ? :)

thebadger
Saturday 27th February 2010, 19:40
Sadly (or not if you're name's frazer) I'll not be there as I'm a bit strapped for cash after having to replace my BOV.

I fully intend to make the next one though!

Just try & stop me!

gmain1967
Saturday 27th February 2010, 19:57
Me likewise. Trying to tide things over until 10th March when we get paid again... Next time!

DuncVolvoTurbo
Saturday 27th February 2010, 21:07
If there weather ain't too bad I'll be there.

bobbych
Sunday 28th February 2010, 10:16
sadly, not me, i have my weekly 350 mile commute in the turbo to do!

t5_monkey
Sunday 28th February 2010, 21:59
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/s40t5_ben/doune%20VOC%20meeting/DSCF0480.jpg

Was quite a good meet - just Duncan and myself there from VPC - although a couple of 2 and 2.5 petrol Turbos so quite an interesting day.

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/s40t5_ben/DSCF0483.jpg

johnm
Tuesday 2nd March 2010, 00:26
My volvo has gone bang and i now have a house to pay for so it parked up for the for-seeable future. I will still be at a meet at somepoint just prob not in the volvo :(