PDA

View Full Version : How to steal a Volvo ?

procee
Thursday 16th June 2005, 23:24
Dunno if it's anyone from on here but a guy seems to be selling info on how to get an 850 started by bypassing the alarm/immobiliser on ebay...

ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10432&item=4556543250&rd=1)

Anyone think this is somewhat dodgy? If it works then any old thief can just come along an off with your pride an joy...

The Flying Banana
Thursday 16th June 2005, 23:30
You still need the key to unlock the deadlocks and operate the ignition tho, apparently it is a Volvo handout for mechanics

procee
Friday 17th June 2005, 00:18
ah but a smashed window removes the need to undo the deadlocks, whilst a piece of scaffolding over the ignition barrel usually does away with the need for a key there. brute force and ignorance is apparently the aberdeen neds preferred way round ignition locks...

GATHY
Sunday 19th June 2005, 10:10
if they want it bad enough theyll get it
they just rob your house now for the keys, or rob you >

p fandango
Sunday 19th June 2005, 10:17
if its as simple as he's making out its got to be a fuse out job

i never trust factory alarms anyway so had a CAT1 fitted as soon as i picked her up (along with some other security gadgets :wink: )

DONKEYT5
Sunday 19th June 2005, 11:48
up here in manchester they just stop u at lights and threaten u with a handgun or some similar weapon, so it dont matter what alarm etc u have, there gonna get ur car!

Andrew
Sunday 19th June 2005, 12:07
If I recall Wobbly Dave had to remove fuse(s) for his alarm / immobalizer when his keyfob went dead. So it's probably the same trick.

At the end of the day they need a key to get into the car, undo the bonnet etc. If there in the car they can start it. Any alarm is a deterent - nothing is going to protect you 100% all you want to do is for them to steal the ford next to you rather than your T5. Thats it! this in my mind is a) someone finding a way to make money from common info - not the first time won't be the last b) nothing more to worry about than normal!

Business as usual folks! :)

ripper
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:07
If your car gets broken into it cannot be started without the transponder which is built into the key itself, as for bypassing the immobiliser that is very simple. It's a procedure that you would need to carry out if and when your key fob packs up so you're not stranded. I'm not gonna post exactly what you need to do as anyone can read it, but if you wanted to know what to do in the event of your key fob becoming inoperative PM me.

This procedure relates to 850 models, i don't know about other models.

lighterfuel
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:55
Speaking as an ex-policeman i felt it polite to step in here. Yes it is fairly easy to steal a Volvo. However, so is any car on the road. I have seen top range porsche's down to your Ford cortina and every thing else in the middle stolen. However, most people out there do not appreciate the sporty agenda of the Volvo T5. So statistically you will find that Volvo 850's are low down on the 'go get a sports car' theft list. Maybe thats a blessing in disguise!