PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat housing

Tomcat
Monday 25th January 2010, 12:32
I've had a minor problem with the thermostat for ages now(more than a year) but it was only that it was a bit slow to open, being as both bolts holding the cover on where completley seized and also ££££££ed from where I'd attacked them with varying implements I've never gotten around to changing it. On saturday however I decided to change the heater matrix as it was a little leaky, so while I had to drop the water I thought I'd have another go at changing the thermostat, this time though I thought that I'd just change the whole housing. After most of the day I'd managed to change the heater matrix fairly easily with only a few broken components that needed replacing, however I had to call it quits with the thermostat housing as I just wasn't getting anywhere. Ok, so it was just a little slow to open I thought, it'll be ok, 'It' however had other ideas, the very next day the car started to use water, which it's never done before, after much head scratching it turned out that my abortive attempt to remove the thermostat housing the other day had some how managed to loosen one of the bolts(even though I hadn't even tried to undo any of them). Today I decided to have a proper go at it, so I proceeded to strip half the engine out to give me access and lo!, it virtualy fell off(only once I'd took an angle gringer to the bolts holding the cover on), BRILLIANT! I thought, I can get on with replacing the housing and putting the nice new thermostat in that's been gathering dust in the garage for over a year, however the car had other ideas...again. I offered up the new thermostat housing and lo and behold it's the wrong one, the bolt hole's are too far apart. So now my car is in a million pieces awaiting a new housing.....

Why is nothing ever simple?

Rnash2002
Monday 25th January 2010, 13:03
Not good,thats always the way fix one problem then another comes along to test you even more lol.

mk3phill
Monday 25th January 2010, 18:08
thats not good,.. and now im scared haha ive got my new thermostat and sender collecting dust.......

cameron
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:13
Volvo's, you either love them or hate them but sure enough every now and again they will bite you in the ass :grumpy:

Hope you get it sorted TC and its an easy fix.

Tomcat
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:22
Meh, it's gonna be easy enough to fix(all the bits are off), I'm just waiting on a replacement housing, but it's not going to get here until Wensday, ah well....shank's pony again..

Volvostorm
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:23
Why is always the small things that stop you in your tracks? Hope you get it snorted soon mate

Tomcat
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:31
It was that sort of job that could have been left, there was nothing much wrong with the thermostat (other than it was a little lazy to open) but I knew the two bolts where seized and it was niggling at me, it's the sort of job you've either got to go all out on or you don't bother with it. Sadly I chose to try and get it sorted before I sell the car to who ever ends up buying it,lol.