PDA

View Full Version : Finally got round to fitting tailgate spoiler V70 P2

richiemat
Sunday 24th January 2010, 21:52
Hi All,

Since i've had this car its never quite looked finished to me without the spoiler above the rear window so I finally got round to buying a genuine one from ebay and sent it for painting last week. It was ready from the bodyshop on Friday ready and I fitted it today using these instructions which were good - http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/Details.aspx?uid=f2e1d651-a9c2-4c9b-a16e-d71e41b2bd72

I didnt need Volvo's fitting kit as the spoiler already had the stop lamp fitted, electrical connection etc but i understand it contains:

4 m6 bolts
some tie wraps
an electrical connection clip
two templates for marking out the external drilling positions
a blanking piece for the existing rear stop lamp

I did need the correct bolts however so sourced these from a dealer which came to £3.50ish. Armed with a bright day a couple of hours free time and a cordless drill i set to work.

Trim removal - Simple once the torx screws were out inside the tailgate (4no) a lower and upper trim piece are removed to expose the rear wiper motor and wiring.

The drilling - (the point of no return lol) The tailgate is plastic so drilling wasn't a problem and because I didnt have the templates for drilling from the outside I drilled pilot holes from the inside using very light pressure on the drill and a sharp drill bit. The drilling positions are clear on the inside of the tailgate because the there are crosshairs to indicate the hole positions. The tailgate hinge arm impeded slightly because two of the holes are close to it, i anticipated that i may need to adjust the holes but i still found that the holes were still in the correct place.

Fixing - Once the holes of the final size were the formed correct size the spoiler easily hung off of the tailgate because of the lugs it has at the back - nearest the top of the boot. The bolts then were straight forward to fit and tighten, bearing in mind that the tailgate is plastic as is the spoiler I was careful not to overtighten them.

Electrics - the instructions suggest removing and blanking off the existing stop lamp in the rear window. I left the exisitng lamp operational and connected the spoiler wiring into it so that there are 2 working lamps in the centre which seems to look ok.

I took my time especially over the drilling because measure twice (which turned into 3 times) drill once, but am pleased with the overall effect especially because i saved the labour cost of getting someone else to fit it.

Pictures:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/Spoiler/DSC01027.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/Spoiler/DSC01028-1.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/Spoiler/DSC01024a.jpg

I'm pleased with result :)

When I took the photo above I thought about removing the rear mudflaps, what do you think?

Hope this is useful to someone :)

Cheers

Rich

kevin4878
Sunday 24th January 2010, 21:54
looks very smart, love the reg too. the mud flaps look good, keep em!

kyebosh
Sunday 24th January 2010, 21:56
Hi All,

Since i've had this car its never quite looked finished to me without the spoiler above the rear window so I finally got round to buying a genuine one from ebay and sent it for painting last week. It was ready from the bodyshop on Friday ready and I fitted it today using these instructions which were good - http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/Details.aspx?uid=f2e1d651-a9c2-4c9b-a16e-d71e41b2bd72

I didnt need Volvo's fitting kit as the spoiler already had the stop lamp fitted, electrical connection etc but i understand it contains:

4 m6 bolts
some tie wraps
an electrical connection clip
two templates for marking out the external drilling positions
a blanking piece for the existing rear stop lamp

I did need the correct bolts however so sourced these from a dealer which came to £3.50ish. Armed with a bright day a couple of hours free time and a cordless drill i set to work.

Trim removal - Simple once the torx screws were out inside the tailgate (4no) a lower and upper trim piece are removed to expose the rear wiper motor and wiring.

The drilling - (the point of no return lol) The tailgate is plastic so drilling wasn't a problem and because I didnt have the templates for drilling from the outside I drilled pilot holes from the inside using very light pressure on the drill and a sharp drill bit. The drilling positions are clear on the inside of the tailgate because the there are crosshairs to indicate the hole positions. The tailgate hinge arm impeded slightly because two of the holes are close to it, i anticipated that i may need to adjust the holes but i still found that the holes were still in the correct place.

Fixing - Once the holes of the final size were the formed correct size the spoiler easily hung off of the tailgate because of the lugs it has at the back - nearest the top of the boot. The bolts then were straight forward to fit and tighten, bearing in mind that the tailgate is plastic as is the spoiler I was careful not to overtighten them.

Electrics - the instructions suggest removing and blanking off the existing stop lamp in the rear window. I left the exisitng lamp operational and connected the spoiler wiring into it so that there are 2 working lamps in the centre which seems to look ok.

I took my time especially over the drilling because measure twice (which turned into 3 times) drill once, but am pleased with the overall effect especially because i saved the labour cost of getting someone else to fit it.

Pictures:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/Spoiler/DSC01027.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/Spoiler/DSC01028-1.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx218/richiemat/Spoiler/DSC01024a.jpg

I'm pleased with result :)

When I took the photo above I thought about removing the rear mudflaps, what do you think?

Hope this is useful to someone :)

Cheers

Rich

Good job Rich, looks much better.

thebadger
Sunday 24th January 2010, 22:11
Very tidy!

They look the boss with a proper spoiler!

I also left the original break light in operetion. You may notice that the brightness of this is massive! I had considered putting one of thoes "volvo" breaklight decals in the original as it would be less noticable.... but thought better of it!

When I got my car the 3rd light on the spoiler had not been connected to the original one.

volvokid
Sunday 24th January 2010, 22:15
Looks tons better now!!!

t5 stealth
Sunday 24th January 2010, 22:59
nice job mate...glad you finaly sorted it,well done,looks much better,

cameron
Sunday 24th January 2010, 23:04
Spoliers make the estates look 100% better.

Good Job Rich :B_thumb:

phil_woods
Sunday 24th January 2010, 23:52
sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

RobbieH
Monday 25th January 2010, 12:55
Glad to see it all worked out.

IMHO P2 V70's look kinda' naked without spoilers or flaps and mines now fitted with both (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showpost.php?p=238559&postcount=4).

Apologies for a quick hijack but is yours the same colour as mine then - 449, Mistral Green?
My wheels need a refurb and I was debating in my head whether to go standard Volvo "Bright silver" or a darker variety. Do you have a full on side shot I could see?

thebadger
Monday 25th January 2010, 13:03
Richiemats V70 is on Comets is it not?

I would also like a look as I have a set of comets (due a refurb) & I really want an idea of how they may look.

I'm happy with the state of my Orestes for now, but I would like to get the mudflaps.

Just cannot be bothered with the expense.

richiemat
Monday 25th January 2010, 13:32
Apologies for a quick hijack but is yours the same colour as mine then - 449, Mistral Green?
My wheels need a refurb and I was debating in my head whether to go standard Volvo "Bright silver" or a darker variety. Do you have a full on side shot I could see?

Yes its paint code 449, I went for the dark powder coat colour because of all the black trim and wanted them to match something. An image below at the Vine meet in the summer:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/DSC08809.jpg

Richiemats V70 is on Comets is it not?

I would also like a look as I have a set of comets (due a refurb) & I really want an idea of how they may look.

I'm happy with the state of my Orestes for now, but I would like to get the mudflaps.

Just cannot be bothered with the expense.

Yes they're Comets :) The only side photo i can find is in the attached link but isnt great quality:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4638&d=1217939057

Flatout Phil
Monday 25th January 2010, 14:05
Spoliers make the estates look 100% better.

It is an interesting thing to consider if it has any other function whatsoever though ; - )

And yes, I like spoilers and roof-bars. My 850 GLE had neither and looked bald and without cojones...
Bit like me really.

v70torslanda
Monday 25th January 2010, 14:20
Looking Good!

cornclose
Monday 25th January 2010, 14:29
I read somewhere recently that the roof spoiler reduces the drag coefficient by 0.01. Down from 0.29 to 0.28 or similar. This was on a phase 1 V70 (850 style) though, but I'd wager it might have a similar effect on a P2.

v70torslanda
Monday 25th January 2010, 14:57
Then we bugger it up completely with huge steamroller tyres!

t5 stealth
Monday 25th January 2010, 21:10
i was lead to believe the spoilers are there only to keep the rear windows clear,
i know that since iv adjusted mine the back window is always really filthy,
so it definatly makes a difrence...now iv got more downforce than an F1 car surely lol :)

or maybe buggerd the aerodynamics lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 11:12
Top jolly ££££££ - nice work rich. It was the same story for the phase 1's & the 855. Never quite looked right without it.

Flash B
Friday 29th January 2010, 19:41
Nice look. I'm after some new alloys to replace my current ones (comets would be good) and mudlflaps...now want a spolier too after seeing this post.

thebadger
Friday 29th January 2010, 20:26
It is an interesting thing to consider if it has any other function whatsoever though ; - )

And yes, I like spoilers and roof-bars.

Apart from letting the genetic freakish kids that roam around towns & cities trying to hang on to them as you try to drive over them....

richiemat
Friday 29th January 2010, 21:01
Nice look. I'm after some new alloys to replace my current ones (comets would be good) and mudlflaps...now want a spolier too after seeing this post.

I think keyzer soze is selling a P2 spoiler including fitting kit on ebay, send him a pm :)

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 30th January 2010, 08:02
Looks much better Rich your car looked naked with out one :)

Russ

BigJC
Saturday 30th January 2010, 08:42
Doh, messing with iPhone and clicked thanks to rt, meant to thank the thread owner....! Not that I'm not gratefull for some of Russ' posts but just not this one....
I'll get my coat.

JG220
Sunday 31st January 2010, 08:40
Has anyone tried some of the non-OEM ones that seem to be availlable.

Or is there are good source of OEM spoilers somewhere?

linkin582
Sunday 31st January 2010, 09:30
looks good !! keep the flaps there for a reason as i found out !!!

RobbieH
Sunday 31st January 2010, 10:43

Unlikely non-OEM will have the high level brake light fittings which come with genuine Volvo items. Quality and surface finish might also be questionable.

Just my opinion.

MacXC60T5
Sunday 31st January 2010, 14:29
I am looking for one for my 2005 T5 had a butchers on ebay could'nt see an original. Cost new is £257 inc vat plus fitting. No change from £400 notes but just remember some of us aint very good with them spanners screws and drills.
Also going for the mud flaps they look good and keep the 5h1t away.

MacXC60T5
Sunday 31st January 2010, 14:32

I am looking but I have been led to believe that the non OEM ones are not the same quality as the originals.

JG220
Sunday 31st January 2010, 14:49
Unlikely non-OEM will have the high level brake light fittings which come with genuine Volvo items. Quality and surface finish might also be questionable.

Just my opinion.

I rather thought the same.

RobbieH
Sunday 31st January 2010, 17:20
I am looking for one for my 2005 T5 had a butchers on ebay could'nt see an original. Cost new is £257 inc vat plus fitting. No change from £400 notes but just remember some of us aint very good with them spanners screws and drills.
Also going for the mud flaps they look good and keep the 5h1t away.

Go talk to Simon (Rufe) at FRF.

Genuine Volvo spoiler with all fittings, primed and ready for painting in your choice of colour was (last year) £125ish.

cornclose
Sunday 31st January 2010, 18:35

Genuine Volvo spoiler with all fittings, primed and ready for painting in your choice of colour was (last year) £125ish.

That's true. But only in certain colours now. My colour is no longer available ready painted, so I'd have to get one primed and painted by someone else.

Unless things have changed...

RobbieH
Sunday 31st January 2010, 19:32

That's true. But only in certain colours now. My colour is no longer available ready painted, so I'd have to get one primed and painted by someone else.

Unless things have changed...

If they are not available in your colour they come pre-primed and ready to paint in your chosen colour (plus laquer of course).

Come on CC, keep up with the program :haha:

:saythat::hidesbehi

t5_monkey
Sunday 31st January 2010, 19:56
Nice looking spoiler

You just need a phat Chrome tailpipe now!

cornclose
Sunday 31st January 2010, 20:35
If they are not available in your colour they come pre-primed and ready to paint in your chosen colour (plus laquer of course).

Come on CC, keep up with the program :haha:

:saythat::hidesbehi

Yeah, what I meant by 'get one primed' was 'purchase one primed' and then get it painted by a third party. Although I can see how that sentence was misconstrued!

JG220
Thursday 25th February 2010, 12:56
I finally bit the bullet and purchased one of the OEMs on ebay.

Now just need to find someone to paint it. Thats doesn't break the bank.

Al115
Thursday 25th February 2010, 13:13
I will have a look at it in the work carpark once you've had it fitted and tell you if it looks sh*t or not :D

JG220
Thursday 25th February 2010, 13:31
:biggrin:

MacXC60T5
Saturday 27th February 2010, 10:14
Had the new spoiler and mud flaps fitted by local Volvo Dealer. Decided on Tints, getting those done on Tuesday 2nd March 2010. Will post pics when done. Noticed on Friday when replaced two rear tyres after a puncture that the refurbished wheels, when you have a close look are cr@p. Looks like a quick job and not a complete strip. May go for a complete strip and repaint to a darker colour, any suggestions, body colour is Titaimium grey 2005. Now have a set of blinds available will be putting on ebay unless somebody makes me an offer thats rear and two sides.

richiemat
Sunday 28th February 2010, 23:23
Had the new spoiler and mud flaps fitted by local Volvo Dealer. Decided on Tints, getting those done on Tuesday 2nd March 2010. Will post pics when done. Noticed on Friday when replaced two rear tyres after a puncture that the refurbished wheels, when you have a close look are cr@p. Looks like a quick job and not a complete strip. May go for a complete strip and repaint to a darker colour, any suggestions, body colour is Titaimium grey 2005. Now have a set of blinds available will be putting on ebay unless somebody makes me an offer thats rear and two sides.

why did you need a new spoiler?

your wheels may of just had a spray over, is the surface smooth? powder coating is the way once you have chosen a colour.