PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Switch!!

pete_s60
Sunday 24th January 2010, 17:37
I transfered a few bits into the new car today... whilst I was in the boot of the S60 noticed an unmarked black switch with quite a thick cable attached to it tucked into the metalwork just below the parcel shelf.

There was also a black finger shaped thing.... it looked like a massive fuse holder (but it wasnt).

I followed the wires as best i could back to the right hand rear light cluster space where it was spliced into lots of other cables. - I cant figure out what it does?

Thoughts so far;

1) Effects rear lights or brake lights for stealthy undercover secret squirrel stuff and car chases.

2) Interior / boot courtesy light switch

3) Turning the rear numberplate illumination on / off for the purpose of dubious activity at night.

I have played about with it a bit and it as far as i can see it doesn't do any of those things....

Any suggestions anyone?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7973&stc=1&d=1264354616

phil_woods
Sunday 24th January 2010, 17:41
towbar electrics possibly?

I know certain forces including the army have a switch for turning off the rear lights if they are doing surveilence etc.....make sure you let us know when you find out what it does as this is a strange one

scooter
Sunday 24th January 2010, 17:53
maybe it is a switch for opening the boot from the inside (so the body can jump out and run hehe)

phil_woods
Sunday 24th January 2010, 18:10
ahhhh good suggestion I think pete should try it!

a lot of cars have this feature so you could be right.

Pete, does it look like its meant to be there as in fitted at the factory or would you say its an aftermarket installation?

PNuT
Sunday 24th January 2010, 18:22
try its a switch to turn off the parking sensors when towing

pete_s60
Sunday 24th January 2010, 18:56
An unwilling volunteer has just disproved the opening it from the inside theory... lol! I left my brother in there for a few minutes just to make sure :-p

pete_s60
Sunday 24th January 2010, 18:57
Its definitely factory fitted... it says volvo on the switch and all the wires have 'made in finland' on them.

PNuT
Sunday 24th January 2010, 18:59
i will just talk to my self then

phil_woods
Sunday 24th January 2010, 19:26
lol

I like the idea above of turning off the reversing sensors!

p fandango
Sunday 24th January 2010, 19:29
i haven't got the switch or reverse parking sensors, anyone thought it might be to turn them off? (sorry PNut, couldn't resist lol)

pete_s60
Sunday 24th January 2010, 19:34
Apologies PNuT, I missed your post there!

It would appear you're right!! - I didnt even know it had parking sensors!

Turned it on... and it happily bleeps away when reversing.

I'll leave it off I think - but at least I can sleep tonight knowing what it is :-D

Thanks all!

phil_woods
Sunday 24th January 2010, 19:43
winners prize to PNuT, well done that man!

wish I had reverse sensors

PNuT
Monday 25th January 2010, 05:23
winners prize to PNuT, well done that man!

i searched the net....

phil_woods
Monday 25th January 2010, 09:07
Isn't that cheating? Lol

Storm-Troll
Monday 25th January 2010, 14:58
Apologies PNuT, I missed your post there!

It would appear you're right!! - I didnt even know it had parking sensors!

Turned it on... and it happily bleeps away when reversing.

I'll leave it off I think - but at least I can sleep tonight knowing what it is :-D

Thanks all!

dont you have those little round thingys on ya bumper if you have parking sensors?.. I have a 2001 S60 like you. I will have to have a nose and see if said hidden goodies are there too...

volvokid
Monday 25th January 2010, 15:13
They were probably added later, the S60 cut off switch for the sensors is up front, unless the earlier ones were different

BigJC
Monday 25th January 2010, 15:23

You have - eyes and ears! And don't forget to put one arm around front passenger seat when reversing.

pete_s60
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 09:44
That is cheating :-p

It does have the sensors at the back... but being a new car (and never had one with reversing sensors) I didn't even think to look at the time!

It is an earlier model, its a 51 plate - It looks factory fitted, its really nicely done!

thebadger
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 09:56
I fitted a camera, saves my bad neck from getting hurt!

pete_s60
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 10:00
That sounds snazzy! - Where did you fit the camera and screen? - Any pics of the installation? :-D