PDA

View Full Version : Clonk from sterring wheel on full lock

Clan998
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 14:14
Hi

Thought my suspension bushes / Ball joints were shot but they seem ok the clonk I was getting seems to be from the steering Rack.

The rubber gattor on the passenger side has completely spilt .... Im assuming Ive lost all the oil in the rack. Im gonna order a new gattor or do you think the rack might have had it ? Or can is the oil etc ok and the gattor to just keep the muck out ?

Cheers Rich

Flatout Phil
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 15:13
It could be - but my money is on CV joint - does it click on full lock? Not HUGELY expensive to have done (or even do it yourself).

t5 stealth
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 20:01
is it only when on lock stationary or while moving on lock,
does the clonk get faster with speed as you accelerate from a corner or from a junction,
as mentioned,the cv joint could be an issue,
or the steering lock stops are worn or dry,
a spot of grease on the touching surface can stop that lol

Clan998
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 20:50
is it only when on lock stationary or while moving on lock,
does the clonk get faster with speed as you accelerate from a corner or from a junction,
as mentioned,the cv joint could be an issue,
or the steering lock stops are worn or dry,
a spot of grease on the touching surface can stop that lol

I get a clonk when i reverse off the drive and sometimes when I turn right but usually only at low speed.

The lock stops are dry ill put some grease on them tomorrow. Im gonna have to replace the steering rack gattor anyway ...hope it is just dry lock stops .

Hesketh
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 23:59
Droplinks £8 a side an some coppaslip on the bumpstops....Job's a good un..

cameron
Sunday 24th January 2010, 01:18
Sounds like a dodgy CV to me buddy.

Clan998
Sunday 24th January 2010, 13:12
Droplinks £8 a side an some coppaslip on the bumpstops....Job's a good un..

Im gonna do the bump stops the drop links have been done there ok :-)

Illl have to get my mechanic to have a look at the CV ...It only happens at low speeds , when im reversing off the drive or manuvering in a car park .

Im gonna do the bump stops now and wil report back !

Clan998
Sunday 24th January 2010, 14:39
Im gonna do the bump stops the drop links have been done there ok :-)

Illl have to get my mechanic to have a look at the CV ...It only happens at low speeds , when im reversing off the drive or manuvering in a car park .

Im gonna do the bump stops now and wil report back !

Well ive greased the the bump stops and have been on and off the drive a few times and done a few slow speed turns and all seems quiet :-) I ll keep an eye on it tomorrow but fingers crossed its nothing more serious than that .

Thanks for the advise

Rich