PDA

View Full Version : To flush or not to flush ? S60 D5

mas
Friday 22nd January 2010, 09:22
O.K I'm not talking saving water when using the loo here before you worry :)

I'm about to have an oil change this lunch time on the S60 D5 with 140,000 on then clock. The oil is disgusting as I do a lot of miles and have been naughty in not changing it for far too long ( ages in fact).

I have ben told by an indy in the past that flushes are likely to cause/show up leeks on sa high mileage car and shold be avoided. What is the general consensus on this. I am tempted to agree and thinking even withut a flush , then changing the oil and filter has t be better than the sludge in the car but I have no problem with a flush if there is no risk of agrovating seals etc.

Cheers Mas

timbo_1975
Friday 22nd January 2010, 09:36
Best to avoid flushing in my opionion, unless you are going to remove the sump and check / clean the pickup strainer after. (which you probably arent by the sounds)

Best plan would be to drain, stick in some mediocre diesel oil and new filter, run it for ~500miles, then change again with a new filter and best quality oil.

And slap your wrists for not changing it at least as often as the book says.

mas
Friday 22nd January 2010, 14:54
All done , I confessed my sin repented and the oil and flter have been changed. I suppose the fuel filter will have to be changed next. Does anyone know how easy this is t get to.

Cheers Mas