PDA

View Full Version : Vibration/Noise at 2K RPM

MattM
Thursday 21st January 2010, 17:21
Recently at around 2K RPM, whether accelerating or cruising, the engine note is a lot rougher and I can feel a vibration through the pedal. Any ideas? Thanks.

v70torslanda
Thursday 21st January 2010, 22:32
Engine top mounting or lower strap mounting (rear engine tie bar) if I had to guess.

Plenty of incidences of both on here . . .

MattM
Friday 22nd January 2010, 06:43
I recently replaced the engine top mount but the issue was occurring before that.

v70torslanda
Friday 22nd January 2010, 08:35
Might be this, then.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/22711.jpg

J

MattM
Friday 22nd January 2010, 11:42
How can I be check this to be the cause?

The bar that is connected to the top mount has a lot of movement in it if I push it, is that normal?

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/vgreenwap/image/model/Volvo/Volvo%20S60%20front.jpg

It's the one in this image, the bigger bar. Is it supposed to have a lot of play in it?

richiemat
Friday 22nd January 2010, 12:52
yep the bigger bar is meant to be quite wobbly

MattM
Friday 22nd January 2010, 13:25
Thought so. Is this one of those things I should just take it to a garage?

thebadger
Friday 22nd January 2010, 13:42
It could be a duff exhaust mount... sometimes they cause an increase in vibes at a certain rev level.

Failing that if it is just after 2k revs it may be due to the turbo spooling which is a whole new & scary set of problems & costs.

My money is a dud mount on the engine or exhaust system, but I'd say exhaust over the engine mounts. Have you replaced the exhaust recently? Or the lower tie bar as J suggests?

cornclose
Friday 22nd January 2010, 13:46
yep the bigger bar is meant to be quite wobbly

Unless it has washers around it.

The other bar though Matt is not standard, it's the Ultra Racing strut bar which makes a WORLD of difference to the feel and handling (just FYI...).

MattM
Friday 22nd January 2010, 14:08
It could be a duff exhaust mount... sometimes they cause an increase in vibes at a certain rev level.

Failing that if it is just after 2k revs it may be due to the turbo spooling which is a whole new & scary set of problems & costs.

My money is a dud mount on the engine or exhaust system, but I'd say exhaust over the engine mounts. Have you replaced the exhaust recently? Or the lower tie bar as J suggests?

The exhaust does have a few issues. Both the hangers at the tail pipe and the center section have rusted off. I have however fixed the one hanger by the tail pipe but as yet have not done the center section, which is getting done when the part comes through.

I haven't looked at the lower tie bar, where can I find it? If it's anything like the top engine mount I replaced it could well be shot.

The car was in Volvo on Wednesday and it didn't show any codes, if that makes any difference regarding the turbo.

When the revs reach about 3k they are fine, it;s just around the 2k area where it is very noticable.

Unless it has washers around it.

The other bar though Matt is not standard, it's the Ultra Racing strut bar which makes a WORLD of difference to the feel and handling (just FYI...).

It looks very close to the bigger bar. Doesn't the bigger bar vibrate off the strut?

cornclose
Friday 22nd January 2010, 14:17
There should be no vibrations as such from that bar as it is mounted using rubber bushes. That's why it feels wobbly.

HammyUK
Friday 22nd January 2010, 20:09
Check you haven't got a split air pipe, mine was rough the other day and Volvo found a split charge air pipe causing it to run rough below 2/3k - also caused the plugs to foul slightly.

MattM
Friday 22nd January 2010, 22:08
Check you haven't got a split air pipe, mine was rough the other day and Volvo found a split charge air pipe causing it to run rough below 2/3k - also caused the plugs to foul slightly.
how can i check ?

HammyUK
Friday 22nd January 2010, 22:31
Volvo pressurise the system and then go round squeezing all the pipes to see if they hiss!
Otherwise just give them a REALLY good check over.

thebadger
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 00:44
The lower tie bar is roughly level with the right hand side of the number plate as you face the front of the car.

They retail at about £40 for a 3rd party, or you could buy that & the powerflex replacement bushes too.

If the top mount is done, it's a good place to look.

I'm sticking with my exhaust theory tho now that you've said there's missing mounts.

All that energy through one mount that's "sort" of fixed may be very bad.

MattM
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 10:10
The lower tie bar is roughly level with the right hand side of the number plate as you face the front of the car.

They retail at about £40 for a 3rd party, or you could buy that & the powerflex replacement bushes too.

If the top mount is done, it's a good place to look.

I'm sticking with my exhaust theory tho now that you've said there's missing mounts.

All that energy through one mount that's "sort" of fixed may be very bad.

I've got the other part through so I can fit it today

MattM
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 14:23
problem solved. turns out the exhaust was resting on a bar under the car. fitting the new bracket lifted it up and stopped the vibrations.

thebadger
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 15:20
Glad I picked the issue up for you. Did the exhaust get any damage from resting on the bar?