PDA

View Full Version : T5 turbo spooling up - What rpm?

sebasteeno
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:28
Gonna be doing your heads in big style whilst trying to get my motor back on the road so hope you dont mind.

Anyway whilst driving it home yesterday i noticed that the turbo seemed to spool up higher in the range than my bros T5. His seems to come in with a bit of a bang at around 2500 revs where as mine seemed to start spooling up but quite gradual with all the power seeming at 3500-4000 revs. The sellar reckoned mine had a different ecu for more power but he was probably talking out of his @rse.

So whats right?

smithy
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:34
check the actuater bar on the turbo to see if it is too tight can course a problem like that

phil_woods
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:36
Agreed with smithy! There was a post on here last week very similar the guy adjusted the actuator and bob was his uncle. I'll try and dig out the thread mate

phil_woods
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:38
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26483&highlight=Actuator

have a butchers at this mate it may help

sebasteeno
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:39
check the actuater bar on the turbo to see if it is too tight can course a problem like that
And where is this located?

smithy
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:42
on the top of the turbo on the back of the engine by bulkhead .it is a long rod with a round vacuum cylinder with a pipe coming from that to the bcs

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:43
You have to take the heat shield off the rear of the engine and the turbo and actuator are revealed, the arm is held on with an R clip, pull it out and turn the end clockwise to tighten it, be very cautious though as adjusting it too much will give over boost and could lead to bent rods.

A boost gauge is also a must when doing it, give it 1 turn then check, then another and check, you get the gist :B_thumb:

sebasteeno
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:45
Any pics please folks?

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:58
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/www.jpg

Theres a small nut that tightens up against the head to stop it moving, it needs to be slackened off before moving trying to move the rod end.

sebasteeno
Sunday 17th January 2010, 21:18
I can see the actuator in the engine bay but it looks a bit tight to be getting at the rod end

Then again my engine bay is a complete fecking mess with wires, hoses and cables everywhere.

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 21:28
Take the heat shield off and theres loads of room ;)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 17th January 2010, 23:08
AFAIK the turbo should have an initial pressure of 4-5psi at 3000rpm on a standard ecu

mightywolf
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:36
Agreed with smithy! There was a post on here last week very similar the guy adjusted the actuator and bob was his uncle. I'll try and dig out the thread mate

Yeah it was mine. really easy to do once you get the chuffing heat shield off. The top of my wastegate arm is pointing slightly towards the drivers side when you look at it from the front of the car. My turbo starts spooling around 3000rpm and kicks in big time at 4000rpm. My turbo was originally spooling around 2000rpm and hitting at 3000 but it was overboosting badly. I couldn't get mine past 5000rpm is was that bad. It comes on much later now but the power is there all the way upto the redline. To be honest your mates car sounds unusual for a T5. They should kick in later for all the top end power.

sebasteeno
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 14:36
Just going back to this. Smithness adjusted the actuator for me and now sometimes it spools up from 2500rpm but then others doesnt seem to really start till 4000rpm.

Its got both the factory recirc valve and an aftermarket DV fitted atm as thats how i bought it but ive ordered a blanking plate so i can get the recirc off but would this effect it in anyway does anyone know?

mightywolf
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 22:28
spring could be knackered in the actuator and not controlling the wastegate properly? if the rod had been screwed in too far it could have damaged it. just a guess though.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 09:19
A/M dump valve is probably leaking as well. You may have a boost leak. Replace the DV with the cut end of a broom handle - it'll work better.

If you set the actuator correct (3.5 psi) - and still no joy then you may need to look at the replacing BCS (boost control solenoid) - it may not be closing properly.

You'll just have to be methodical and work through the various parts of the system.

sebasteeno
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 10:24
A/M dump valve is probably leaking as well. You may have a boost leak. Replace the DV with the cut end of a broom handle - it'll work better.

If you set the actuator correct (3.5 psi) - and still no joy then you may need to look at the replacing BCS (boost control solenoid) - it may not be closing properly.

You'll just have to be methodical and work through the various parts of the system.There is a small split in the hose just after the DV which is getting replaced tomorrow

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th January 2010, 10:32
indeed an airleak was my next suggestion.