PDA

View Full Version : Keys locked in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kevin4878
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:25
Just before the abuse starts ill tell the story, one morning, i wake early for my run, alls well in the world, suns shining(ish), snows long gone. Misses in bed, walk out of house, stretch off. lock front door of house. Ok, i thiught to myself ill hde the keys in garden, then thought better of it, security and all that. So in my wisdom, ill sling them in the volvo. Anyway start my run, come home a while later, do my warm downs, go to the volvo, open the door. However, doors locked!, numerous thoughts went through my mnd, not all pleasant. It turns that the car had decided to lock itself. However in the past i have forgot to lock it over night with nothing happening. come back in the morning and no probs. so, my keys are locked in car, any idea on how to open her up, with minimum damage? oh yeah, only have the one key lol. funny situation, I can take a joke, so after the micky taking any suggestions bar a brick?? thanks folks. Look forward to your suggestions, i think. PS 94 plate 850 t5 estate.

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:28
We've all done it............ haven't we :hidesbehi

Best way to open it mate is to get a couple of wedges in the top of the door then with the gap it creates at the side of the door use an old wire coat hanger to pull on the handle.

Thats how i done mine, although i left mine on top of the battery and closed the bonnet, whilst the doors were locked :doh:

Tomcat
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:31
Gotta agree with Lee, that's how the place I used to work for used to break into locked cars (legaly I must say). Failing that can you contact Volvo and get a replacement key?...

kevin4878
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:31
will this damage the door at all, if so you think its best on passenger side? righty then, wedges it is then, gotta sell the old girl anyhow so, here goes,

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:32
It wont damage the door if your not agressive and use plastic wedges ( you only need about 50mm ), Like the sort you can buy to put between double glazing windows and the wall to wedge them in place :D

Tomcat
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:33
Shouldn't do, all your doing is prising the top of the door away from the frame, provided you don't go too far you should be ok, a gap of 10-15 centimetres is plenty.

martybelfastt5
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:34
with no keys mate your best knocking in the quater window,,,on the car locking itself ive noticed if i unlock mine with the remote and just leave it alone it does lock itself shortly afterwards not sure of exact time then if i unlock go out in it come back dont lock it stays open so im thinking the alarm relocks the car if it feels the car may have been unlocked by mistake,,,cheapest and easiest fix i would think would be the quater window if you fail with the above,,them guys that unlock cars do it for about 30 quid use wedges and air pads

kevin4878
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:34
just enouigh to get a stick to knock the door opener

Vikingxl
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:37
Decent auto locksmith should get you in in under 5 mins for not a huge amount of cash

850 t5 vs 600cc
The AA or the Police may do it. I done it when i first passed my test in a Metro. The car was locked with the radio on and engine running. I managed to get in through the glass sunroof but not after 2 police on horses cames running over to me to try and stop me. Got it sorted out in the end but it does happen to all of us.

kevin4878
Will do it first thing in morning, will let you know how i go on, thanks for the help

Vikingxl
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:39
Plastic wedges can scratch paintwork and damage seals.If you bend the frame too much it will stay bent or in extremes smash the window.Also if its deadlocked your not going to be able to open it without a key anyway

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:39
One of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHAINSAW-PLASTIC-5-FELLING-CUTTING-CLEAVING-WEDGE_W0QQitemZ140374306507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H ome_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item20aef5eecb ) would be ideal to wedge the door or you can buy air pads as been suggested above but they are about £35 and if your going to spend that on one then just phone someone to come do it for you.

On the other hand are you not with any organisations like the AA or the RAC ?

They would do it for free :B_thumb:

kevin4878
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:43
One of these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHAINSAW-PLASTIC-5-FELLING-CUTTING-CLEAVING-WEDGE_W0QQitemZ140374306507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H ome_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item20aef5eecb ) would be ideal to wedge the door or you can buy air pads as been suggested above but they are about £35 and if your going to spend that on one then just phone someone to come do it for you.

On the other hand are you not with any organisations like the AA or the RAC ?

They would do it for free :B_thumb:

i do have green flag through tesco, ill try the wedges first, see how i go, like i said, im selling it very soon anyway.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 17th January 2010, 23:02
a gap of 10-15 centimetres is plenty.
Do you mean 10-15 millimetres TC? As 10-15 centimetres is 4-6 inches!!

And Kev, can you see the keys? you could get a length of wire and push the button on the fob, I guess that would require less force than trying to open the door with the handle.

kevin4878
Sunday 17th January 2010, 23:05
Do you mean 10-15 millimetres TC? As 10-15 centimetres is 4-6 inches!!

And Kev, can you see the keys? you could get a length of wire and push the button on the fob, I guess that would require less force than trying to open the door with the handle.

pretty good idea, will give that a shot, have to wait till morning though, ill let you know.

scooter
Sunday 17th January 2010, 23:22
with no keys mate your best knocking in the quater window,,,on the car locking itself ive noticed if i unlock mine with the remote and just leave it alone it does lock itself shortly afterwards not sure of exact time then if i unlock go out in it come back dont lock it stays open so im thinking the alarm relocks the car if it feels the car may have been unlocked by mistake,,,cheapest and easiest fix i would think would be the quater window if you fail with the above,,them guys that unlock cars do it for about 30 quid use wedges and air pads

Now that is strange I thought the same thing and the funny side of it is I live in northern ireland as well not far from belfast

Al115
Sunday 17th January 2010, 23:47
Volvo alarms usually relock after a short time if you don't open a door - by design.

kevin4878
Monday 18th January 2010, 00:00
Volvo alarms usually relock after a short time if you don't open a door - by design.

i believe so, just anoying that its never happened when i left it open with the keys with me!! but, live n learn eh.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 18th January 2010, 08:21
Usually by opening the door the alarm knows that something is happening, but if your door switch is playing up then it wouldn't know. Do the lights come on when you open that particular door? (don't forget to check it after the light delay has gone off)

kevin4878
Monday 18th January 2010, 08:43
Ok folks, zero hour is here, wedge out, coat hanger, rubber mallet, lump hammer and brink on standby for when i loose it!!!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 18th January 2010, 09:08
Good luck!

Tomcat
Monday 18th January 2010, 09:14
Fingers crossed for you...Good luck.

Vikingxl
Monday 18th January 2010, 15:32
Hes been out there a very long time

Dangerous Dave
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:05
Maybe he's locked himself in?

Vikingxl
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:17
Maybe hes been stolen by goblins to partake in experiments with large quantities of dodgy toadstools?????

Tomcat
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:30
You've not taken your medication again today have you Rich?.

Vikingxl
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:05
I couldnt tomcat the goblins never arrived with it, on the subject of things being delivered did you get your meals on wheels ok over the festive season with all the snow and ice??

Dangerous Dave
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:12
PMSL, meals on wheels.

Tomcat
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:57
I couldnt tomcat the goblins never arrived with it, on the subject of things being delivered did you get your meals on wheels ok over the festive season with all the snow and ice??

Yeah they got through lol, did the home help from 'Care in the community' turn up to help you get dressed or did you spend all christmas in nothing but your soiled undies again?...

Vikingxl
Monday 18th January 2010, 18:02
Tomcat you know better than that they werent soiled as i had only just changed them being xmas.Might be a different story in a few months though

Storm-Troll
Monday 18th January 2010, 18:27

thats true.. mine does.. unlock with fob but dont open the door.. 7 mins later it locks itself again. then another 30 seconds after that.. dead locks itself again too

Storm-Troll
Monday 18th January 2010, 18:30
Tomcat you know better than that they werent soiled as i had only just changed them being xmas.Might be a different story in a few months though

nearly took a flymo with me last time... thought Rich had a bad grass problem outside the front door.. but they he stood up and i saw it was just grass growing out hte waist band of his Undies....

Tomcat
Monday 18th January 2010, 19:20
nearly took a flymo with me last time... thought Rich had a bad grass problem outside the front door.. but they he stood up and i saw it was just grass growing out hte waist band of his Undies....

Lmao...That'll be all the fertiliser he keeps in his pants....

kevin4878
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 14:34
ok, im in, got keys, no damage, bruised ego but hey. agagain thanks to all who helped out, took about 5 mins thats all.

kevin4878
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 14:36
heres the pics

Al115
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 14:52
Scary. Well done.

Tomcat
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 15:05
Glad you managed it without injuring yourself or the car, just goes to show that if you really want to get into a car it's not really that difficult.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 16:51
Glad you managed it without injuring yourself or the car, just goes to show that if you really want to get into a car it's not really that difficult.

Lol you have no idea Tomcat

cameron
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 19:14
Glad you got it sorted Kev :B_thumb:

kevin4878
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 21:11
i was quite shocked how easy it was, i thought volvos would be like a fortress. but ill know for next time!! if i keep it for that long

Tomcat
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 21:56
Lol you have no idea Tomcat

Yeah I do, any fool can get in within seconds with a house brick, however getting in without causing any damage takes a little longer (unless your a trained locksmith like your good self).

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 23:19
good job mate,,,,result its not going to cost!

gmain1967
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 06:26
A tip which may help a few folks in future...

If you happen to lock your keys in the car, or lose them, you can open them with your spare remote fob, even if the spare keys are not with you.

Provided there is someone who has access to the spare set, call them on a mobile, and have them lock/unlock the fob, whilst holding it to the mobile phone.

Hold your mobile phone to the car door lock/sensor, and voila! I didn't believe this when I was told about it but tried it, and it works on my S40. Also worked on mates Subaru!

Saves using a Govan key (aka a brick....!)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 10:48
I was thinking more of asking the average 14 yr old that will be in in seconds tomcat

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 15:52
A tip which may help a few folks in future...

If you happen to lock your keys in the car, or lose them, you can open them with your spare remote fob, even if the spare keys are not with you.

Provided there is someone who has access to the spare set, call them on a mobile, and have them lock/unlock the fob, whilst holding it to the mobile phone.

Hold your mobile phone to the car door lock/sensor, and voila! I didn't believe this when I was told about it but tried it, and it works on my S40. Also worked on mates Subaru!

Saves using a Govan key (aka a brick....!)

That brings a whole new meaning to "remote locking".

I will try that tonight - if you are winding me up I will be most annoyed!

Sounds too good to be true....

kevt5
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 19:03
That brings a whole new meaning to "remote locking".

I will try that tonight - if you are winding me up I will be most annoyed!

Sounds too good to be true....

and did it work ?

cameron
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 19:29
I'm also waiting to see if its worked, im intigued :D

gmain1967
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 19:43
I'm not BS'ing!!!

I first came across this when we were doing a course in Craik forest. It's something which the guys doing the assessing passed on - one of them had first hand experience of it and proved it, by demonstrating on a timber harvester. Given that those things are worth about £300K, I thought it must be right!!!

Works on my S40 who's locking/unlocking on the remote ain't the best!

Reminds me of a problem I had years ago with my company car - Rover 420SLDI. If the mobile I had at the time went off in the car and the doors were locked with the remote, you couldn't get in until the call finished. Got bloody soaked a few times

All these things do emit signals - sometimes good, sometimes not so good...!