PDA

View Full Version : Sticky starter motor :(

danny-R
Sunday 17th January 2010, 19:20
well it looks like my starter motor has gone, it has been making a noise for a while now but it totally failed to start on me earlier.
Rocked it back and forth in gear and managed to get it started but i must get it sorted asap.

I found these on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-2-3-T5-TURBO-1994-97-STARTER-MOTOR-S868_W0QQitemZ370312077787QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item563851e1db has anyone used these? or should i fork out for a new/reconditioned oem item?

Is it easy enough to swap over, and is there anything i should know before i attempt it?

cheers in advance.

p fandango
Sunday 17th January 2010, 19:24
i paid £120 to get mine reconditioned, thats including removing & refitting

danny-R
Sunday 17th January 2010, 19:32
i paid £120 to get mine reconditioned, thats including removing & refitting

how long did it taketo get that done? I cant have it off the road really i have to get us to work and back everyday, even worse now she has sold her car.

it would be easier for me to just order one off ebay BUT if i get a used one it's going to be a bit of a gamble, what's to say it won't do the same.

i know, i'll pm rufe for a price on a new one so i know what we're looking at.

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:01
Genuine will be a lot more tbh.

If you really need one just buy the one off fleabay and fit it yourself, its not hard :B_thumb:

cameron
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:04
A starter from Nordic is £90 and one from PFS is £151, so id imagine a genuine one will be more than both of these.

danny-R
Sunday 17th January 2010, 20:12
i suppose you get what you pay for, i would rather pay £60 for a new one than a used one that may be on it's way out anyway.
cheers

p fandango
Monday 18th January 2010, 02:22
how long did it taketo get that done? I cant have it off the road really i have to get us to work and back everyday, even worse now she has sold her car.

it would be easier for me to just order one off ebay BUT if i get a used one it's going to be a bit of a gamble, what's to say it won't do the same.
it was done in less than a day, sure i dropped it off in the morning & it was done by the afternoon. It was quite funny becuase they phoned me up worried if it was safe to disconnect the nitrous system, explained it wasn't pressurised & the bottle was empty lol

danny-R
Monday 18th January 2010, 15:55
cheers mate, i have been on the phone to a place called car start who have a reconditioned one there on the shelf so i could go down and get it swapped over.
they want £60 plus my old starter, which i think is reasonable as i used them years ago when my clio wouldn't start and they wanted £60 for that.

so now to decide, that new one off ebay(means i have to fit it) or go round the corner for a recon'd one.
it makes sense to go for the recon'd on just so i dont get my hands oily lol.

p fandango
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:03
cheers mate, i have been on the phone to a place called car start who have a reconditioned one there on the shelf so i could go down and get it swapped over.
they want £60 plus my old starter, which i think is reasonable as i used them years ago when my clio wouldn't start and they wanted £60 for that.

so now to decide, that new one off ebay(means i have to fit it) or go round the corner for a recon'd one.
it makes sense to go for the recon'd on just so i dont get my hands oily lol.
i know which i'd do mate, & it involves sitting with a cup of tea watching someone else while they do the work lol.

danny-R
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:16
true, recon'd one it is then.

danny-R
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 17:52
well i'v had a reconditioned starter fitted today, the teeth on the old one were knackered and has damaged the teeth on the fly wheel slightly :( he pointed out the cause of it was there was a bush missing out of the end so it wasn't gripping the flywheel.
it's my fault for going to work and back in it, i should have had it sorted sooner.
never mind it's done now, plus i even managed to fit forge blanking plate whilst i was there and i absolutley love the sound it makes puts a smile on my face everytime lol

ps cheers james

sebasteeno
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 21:55
I picked one up off a breaker for Smithness today £25.

danny-R
Thursday 21st January 2010, 08:58
I picked one up off a breaker for Smithness today £25.

not bad i suppose, but how long will it last. Mine is starting up like a dream now. i went to newcastle and back y'day to buy a car. got home and went straight out downt to leeds to get my exhaust sorted (big rear silencer)
omg what a difference it's mate, no longer sounds like a tank on tick over and no more droney head aches on long runs. i'm chuffed to bits.
i will upload a little vid when i get it cleaned.

danny-R
Friday 30th July 2010, 08:26
Anyone for a Reconditioned starter motor? £35 delivered (comes with 6 months warranty left fwiw).