PDA

View Full Version : s8o 2002 hu 801 replacement?

dobbin
Sunday 17th January 2010, 15:06
hello folks, the unit is only playing through the centre dash speaker and after 3 attempts by the dealer to get the sound and steering controls working through all speakers, nothing, was wondering if anyone has fitted an aftermarket unit to this model and how easy and cheaper it is to do than get a new 801 fitted which the dealer has said he'd replace it, all i want is the speakers and tweeters working to get a decent sound was the second reason i bought the car, its the only place i listen to my music lol, if anyone has any step by step instructions on fitting another single or double din unit and how to wire/connect, id be very grateful, not worried if i have to loose the dolby amp/centre speaker option as long as the door , tweeters and rear speakers give a balanced sound
thanks, george.

p fandango
Sunday 17th January 2010, 17:50
the centre speaker is the only one powered by an internal amplifier in the radio, all the others are powered by an external amp (under the passenger seat i think) so my guess is an amp problem more than the stereo. I'd check the fuses for the amp & take it from there. Of course it could be the amp isn't getting a signal from the radio but its something else to check

dobbin
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:29
thanks for the reply fandango yeah, its something i can easily check myself, the dealer is getting an auto elec guy to look at it this week, didnt think it might be the amp thats not working, ill get sound in this car yet lol, thanks again will check the fuses in daylight tomorrow

p fandango
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:40
thanks for the reply fandango yeah, its something i can easily check myself, the dealer is getting an auto elec guy to look at it this week, didnt think it might be the amp thats not working, ill get sound in this car yet lol, thanks again will check the fuses in daylight tomorrow
no problem, i'm new to P2 Volvo's myself so glad i knew something lol. Keep us informed how you get on. My bro's an auto electrician so i can always call on him, but think looking at the amp is first inline

dobbin
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:47
will do thanks hopefully in my ownership ill learn something about the car that im able to pass on and help others, as i intend keeping this one for a long time

p fandango
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:51
you'll have it for a long while yet, my 2002 S60 has just clocked 160K miles this week & still going strong (well as strong as a D5 can lol)

dobbin
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:27
well, found the fuse box in the side of the dash for the audio number 10 and 11 i think, number 11 wasnt there for the amp, lol,found a spare and wooohoo sound kinda, left side speakers in door are pretty weak sounding and the fader is showing it to be producing no sound at some settings, still , its a step forward lol

p fandango
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:42
atleast your not just listening to it from the centre channel only now lol, i'm guessing the fuse was took out for a reason & might be something to do with the sounds playing up

dobbin
Monday 18th January 2010, 16:46
yeah true, all i can figure out thats wrong with it is the passenger side sound not comming across the cabin if you can understand that lol, it just doesnt sound balanced but thats the dealers problem unless i fugure iut how to get to the door speakers to check the connections, and thanks again for the pointer to the fuse solution

p fandango
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:09
yeah true, all i can figure out thats wrong with it is the passenger side sound not comming across the cabin if you can understand that lol, it just doesnt sound balanced but thats the dealers problem unless i fugure iut how to get to the door speakers to check the connections, and thanks again for the pointer to the fuse solution
atleast its a start in the right direction now & know its either the amp or speakers & not replacing the headunit for no reason. I'd leave the delicate stuff like removing door cards to the dealer if its there problem anyway.

& glad i could help out with something on a P2, can i have the dealers address so i send the invoice to for my fee lol

dobbin
Monday 18th January 2010, 17:18
hehe the way im thinking about him at the mo i might just do that, think he's a relation of arthur daley, will see what he comes up with when he calls about the auto elec techs appointment its a pity theres no one up this area that can do car audio stuff competently , theyd make a fortune

dobbin
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 17:15
well, cars off to the auto elec tech here, been playing around with the settings and the 3 ch setting wont play through the pass door speakers just a faint sound from the tweeter, the dolby button just dulls everything down to a muffled sound, should the player buttons be illuminated at night? and when sitting in the car to listen to the player turning the key to swith it on should the dash lights,headlights/side etc be on too? seems itll be an extra drain on the battery,

p fandango
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 18:41
there is an accessory setting before the ignition lights come on, the radio & windows should be powered up only.

as for the radio lights i'll have a look tomorrow morning mate, i would go & look now but i'm settled & not far off bed lol

HammyUK
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 19:52
Have the exact same thing.
Only mine has lost the magic smoke from the inside and left its nasty black brother behind.
My money is on the amp, same as mine.

Little trick is to unplug the speaker connections from the amp and get a 9v battery with a clip on lead with loose ends.
Take each of the leads and touch them to the + and - of each speaker to check them out. You'll hear each cone "thump" or "click" depending on which it is.
Any that don't get a sound are dead and its a very quick way of checking continuity to the speakers and that they work.
They seem to be a weak point.

dobbin
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 23:11
thanks guys, hoping for a phone call tomorrow morning saying that its fixed, aint holding my breath though, lol, good diagnostic test with the battery, nice 1, what a hassle just to get a decent balanced sound in a car, feel like ripping the whole unit out and going aftermarket, prob that has setbacks too lol
thanks again, george.

dobbin
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 15:54
got the car back today same as when i put it in, lol, theyre gonna order a new unit for it the saga continues, hahahha

p fandango
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 16:13
thanks guys, hoping for a phone call tomorrow morning saying that its fixed, aint holding my breath though, lol, good diagnostic test with the battery, nice 1, what a hassle just to get a decent balanced sound in a car, feel like ripping the whole unit out and going aftermarket, prob that has setbacks too lol
thanks again, george.
tbh i'm not totally impressed with the Dolby set-up, when i first got the S60 i must admit someone had played with the internal setting & it was really bad. Reset everything to default & it is better, but not up to what i was expecting. It is one of the better standard systems but not a batch on my old Kenwood gear in the 850, although i did spend more on the stereo than i did on the whole S60 lol

PS all the buttons light up on the radio, forgot to take a pic tho sorry

dobbin
Wednesday 20th January 2010, 18:05
hey fandango, yep for what the elec guy did the unit does light up for about 5 seconds after switching the ignition on, but then goes off, and the steering wheel buttons are on in the dark, the electronic gremlins are at play still, from what i can hear so far i much prefer the 3ch sound, if only the pass speakers worked it would be half decent for now untill its fixed,

dobbin
Friday 5th February 2010, 13:31
well put the car in this morning at 9 am got a call at 11 new radio/cd fitted and working, well the sound is there really good sound in fact but,,,,,,,,,,its still got no lights and steering wheel controls and when turning the key to position 1 the heater fan comes on with the clock lights as well lol,went back with it , told him id heard on here it needs a software flash, so off to the volvo garage to ask about it, they said they havent heard of a software flash and thats from thier "master" elec/audio guy , the saga continues

dobbin
Saturday 6th February 2010, 15:08
has anyone actually had this software flash/download done to thier car ? so i can go armed with info to the garage here and say "this is what i need done" as im so close to ripping this unit out and sticking in an aftermarket unit even if it is under warranty, btw got a single din fascia plate and the iso cable in halfords a few days ago reduced on a rack to £3.50 for both hehe, bought it just for the sake of the price

dobbin
Thursday 11th February 2010, 17:05
well had the car booked in at the volvo garage today and they say they basically cant do a thing about the stereo because its not a virgin unit, lol in other words it wasnt a new one bought from them, was told the dashlights will come on in ignition position 1, and if the fan is set at any position it will run as well and the lights on the stereo wont come on at night what a set up, they cleared a lamda? light that came on the dash and thats it, can anyone clarify if thier dash lights come on in ignition position 1? as i only listen to music in the car and sitting there for an hour or two is bound to drain the battery, thanks, george.

dobbin
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 01:10
after waiting a week for a phone call to get the radio/cd fixed , still the dashlights heaterfan coming on in key pos 1, and no night illumination or steering wheel control, got a call to put it down on wed, today after sitting listening to music in the car for 15 mins i get the low battery light coming on, and the lamda ? light has re appeared(yellow engine light)as fandango has told me only the radio and windows should be working in key pos 1? if only i can find a few s80's locally i could stop and ask the owners what thiers do in the same position, giving the dealer two weeks to sort this out or going to put the car back and ask for my cash back
george.

cookie
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 02:18
AFAIK stereo light are software related and a dealer can set lights if you change stereos even if its 2nd hand, as long as its a genuine volvo stereo

dobbin
Tuesday 23rd February 2010, 02:47
heya cookie thanks, was told that too yeah when it was in the volvo garage, the "master tech" said they cant do a thing as its not a brand new unit, the dealer installed a used recon one, i still think the volvo garage are talking rubbish, and cant see what the elec tech the car dealer is getting to look at it on wed can do to rectify it unless he has the volvo software which i doubt,seriously going off theis car as i use it to listen to my music when parked, and its useless if its gonna drain the battery in 15 mins as its now showing

dobbin
Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 14:23
finally felt fit enough to get the clarion single din unit fitted, tried the dolby set up through the amp with the cables i bought and because the unit only has one set of pre outs, i used y pieces to connect up to the rca plug, but,,,,,,,,, you lose control of the front /rear/left right controls, so,,,, took the rca plugs out and connected the unit with the iso lead and speaker connections just two plugs to work with and bingo what a sound!!, plus the weird bit is i even have the centre speaker working lol, wooohooo mp3 in the car again bliiissssss.