PDA

View Full Version : Autbox differences between 850 and later cars?

BigV
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 16:39
Does anyone know what the difference is between the 850 autobox and the ones fitted to a later car (S70 is the car in question).

I only ask because the S70 doesn't appear to have the sports/econ mode (although it does have a shift lock button?), and I am noticing that the box seems to get caught out more often than my previous 850..... seems like the g'box doesn't quite know what to do when you give it a quick dab of power......or perhaps it isn't the box at all, perhaps it is the fancy electronic throttle thingy?

I'm missing the ability to stuff it in sport mode and take off.......although I'm sure it is just a case of getting used to it... but it seems like you really have to ram the pedal to the floor to get kickdown.

cookie
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 20:06
gearbox with econ/sport switch is standard 4 speed box

later cars (ME7/1999MY onwards) only have 'W' as they have the adaptive box, so drive hard, and gear changes will happen at red line or later, drive like a saint and it will be in 4th by 30 :LOL:

it also means that if you drive hard, you can get kickdown without putting foot flat to floor, and if you drive like mother superior, then foot to the floor and you won't get kickdown instantly

Edit

Shift lock is purely a security device (so you cant move selector out of park, without foot on brake and ignition on)

if you want to remove ash tray or similar, you can (assuming you haven't locked the doors) hold that button down and move shifter to D/3/L

its basically an inbuilt version of one of these

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/15897.jpg

phil_woods
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 20:10
My 97 v70 has winter mode too but I don't know if it's a 4or 5 speed box.

Does sound strange though, every auto I have driven has been quick to kickdown

cookie
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 20:15
4 speed with lock up (feels like a 5th gear, but is basically same as 4th)

5 speed autos didn't come in until P2's or 2001MY on s/v40's

you can easily tell, as if selector has P R N D 3 ....... then you have a 4 speed box

if its P R N D 4....... then you have a 5 speed box

phil_woods
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 20:21
I feel like im driving an old fiesta now that I have only 4 gears!

I drive a transit in work that has 6 lol

cookie
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 20:26
I feel like im driving an old fiesta now that I have only 4 gears!

I drive a transit in work that has 6 lol

but does your transit do 130 in 3rd :LOL:

also have a V40 (5 speed auto) and it just jumps around gears more, if you have plenty of power 4 gears are fine

phil_woods
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 20:36
but does your transit do 130 in 3rd :LOL:

also have a V40 (5 speed auto) and it just jumps around gears more, if you have plenty of power 4 gears are fine

I suppose you are right lol just thinking of the power has made me feel better lol