PDA

View Full Version : 850 AWD noise!!

castellsmith123
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 16:54
Hi everybody! I have just come home from work and whilst going around a slightly downhill and slight righthand bend,I felt the rear kick slightly! A few moments late a noise like a wheel bearing started! So I got the wife to drive(yes, she is given permisson sometimes) and the noise is from the rear diff area! Could this be the diff or the Awd unit? The noise sound like at grating bearing! It start's as soon as you move off and get's faster until it goes at around 50 mph! Being new to the AWD ,I don't know anything about this system,other than it is like the VW syncro system! Any idea would be helpful!!! Thank's

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:57
TBH the rear diff is off the 960, so should be a strong unit (unless the oil has leaked out!), could be the viscous coupling (attached to the front of the rear diff). Mine had a gear grinding (which got faster as speed increased) noise on it which was the angle gear (bevel gear) at the front.

Here is a description of the AWD system
www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/850awd.pdf

Are all the tyres wearing the same?

HTH

Bomb

castellsmith123
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 16:48
Thank you for your reply's! I have read the link which I was sent.Can anyone tell me what grade oil goes in the diff/haldex unit?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 17:09
Our 850 AWDs don't have a haldex unit, thats the electronic one on later AWD volvos. Ours use the mechanical viscous coupling.

And oils:

Oil in Bevel gear = API-GL-5/ SAE 80W

Oil in rear diff = API - GL5 (MIL - L2105B) SAE 80

castellsmith123
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 17:51
Thank you! ps. I like your profile video!!!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 22:43
No problem matey.

And cheers, just something I thought I'd try.

castellsmith123
Saturday 20th February 2010, 14:26
I have just found a rear diff on fleebay! It is from a 97' v70! Is this the same unit as on an 850 awd 97'? It has got 5 day's to go,so I have plenty of time to find out! Thank's guy's!

Flatout Phil
Saturday 20th February 2010, 15:30
Fit one of these mate...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtacFlDUjRM

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 20th February 2010, 15:55
A 97 V70 awd is the closest you're gonna get. Should be the same. Think it was the later XC70s that were different/