PDA

View Full Version : pcv what should i do ?????

linkin582
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 14:08
iv been going though some old threads and looking around and noticed that the pcv system can be a problem. as my t5 is on 140k and there is nothing in the history to say it's been replaced. what i would like to know is should i replace it ? or is it possible to flush and clean it out ?????
cheers for the help !!!

Tomcat
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 15:05
Pull your dipstick out while the engine is running, if there's loads of smoke coming out then the PCV needs doing, for the parts off RUFE your looking at about £70, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the Rear main seal as I had to do on mine.

ChrisMClark
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 15:14
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a PCV?

linkin582
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 15:33
it a oil breather system.as i understand. which hides under the intake mainifold.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23968&highlight=pcv+replacement

that will show you the in's and out's of it.

ChrisMClark
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 16:09
Is that something only you Turbo driving loons need to worry about?

linkin582
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 16:13
that i cant tell you. but i expect some one will be along too tell you soon !!!

timbo_1975
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 17:23
No, all the cars use a PCV system, which can, and does get blocked up.

The NA engines use a different fume separator to the turbo's though, and slightly different plumbing.

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 17:39
OMG...f**k** hell is is a job i am about to start ordering the bits of rufe 2 moz, just had a look the link and thinking that this might be a job 2 far.lol..will take pics and post if this helps..

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 17:43
to be fair, i'm far from a mechanic and i managed to do this in less than 4hours.

i will try and find the "how to" that i used, came in very handy.

there you go mate, hth
http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

irf
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 17:54
its not that bad of a job to do, even i managed it when i first got the car. any guide you see may make it look complicated but all you need to remember is, in essence, you're taking off the inlet manifold. before you do that anything that's in the way of the inlet manifold has to come off.

once it's off, you're replacing a plastic bottle with it's pipes and then putting everything back again.

apart from that, the only thing to remember is, when everything comes off, one of the pipes that comes off the front of the block will have a lot of gunk in the hole. clean this out thoroughly.

that really is it.

best guide i've ever seen of it is

http://www.lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

edit. sorry, dannys already posted that link.

danny-R
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:02
its not that bad of a job to do, even i managed it when i first got the car. any guide you see may make it look complicated but all you need to remember is, in essence, you're taking off the inlet manifold. before you do that anything that's in the way of the inlet manifold has to come off.

once it's off, you're replacing a plastic bottle with it's pipes and then putting everything back again.

apart from that, the only thing to remember is, when everything comes off, one of the pipes that comes off the front of the block will have a lot of gunk in the hole. clean this out thoroughly.

that really is it.

best guide i've ever seen of it is

http://www.lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

edit. sorry, dannys already posted that link.

sorry mate beat you to it. as irf said, by far the best guide out there :)
funny thing is when i done mine there was no gunk in the said pipe although the hose/pipe that runs across the front of the block was completley sha#ged, it had gone brittle and snapped in a few places.

gazjacko
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 21:34
Don't know if this is true but when I did mine on my 850R i was advised to re-run the tube on a slightly longer route but away from the manifold to prevent a repeat failure.
anyone else?

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 14:45
cheers lads..i see that this is 4 the 850r mine is the v70r will it be the same cheers..