PDA

View Full Version : ECU help

Mck1
Sunday 10th January 2010, 09:56
Hi all, new to the forum,

I'm currently looking into chipping my Volvo 850 2.0.20v 1994 Estate.
I'm poss going to purchase a chip online and put in myself. Power gains advised 10 BHP +.

I managed to find the ECU boxes but which one contains the chip as need the reference number before ordering, 2.1 or 2.2?

Many Thanks

Chris.

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 10:08
the centre ECU is the engine management one, but i have read of someone who brought a chip & soldered it in himself only for it not to work & the car wouldn't start.

Mck1
Sunday 10th January 2010, 10:15
Thanks, So I need to ask myself is it worth it for just 10 BHP+ or do I feel lucky with the soldering iron!!

Mck1
Sunday 10th January 2010, 10:30
Sorry you mentioned that it was the centre ECU is the engine management one. So I take it you mean in the centre of the plastic housing box as on inspection there is only two and room for another?

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 11:12
Sorry you mentioned that it was the centre ECU is the engine management one. So I take it you mean in the centre of the plastic housing box as on inspection there is only two and room for another?
yeh, its there are 3 slots in the plastic box. The one in the centre slot is the engine management

Mck1
Sunday 10th January 2010, 11:13
Thanks for your help.

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 11:31
Thanks for your help.
no problem :B_thumb:

ChrisMClark
Sunday 10th January 2010, 11:39
The other question you have to ask is 'is the price too good to be true', becuase 99% of the time, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I know a few people from the Fiat Forum I use to use who bought these so-called 'performance chips' from eBay to find they're nothing more than a resistor in a small casing. All they do is intefere with readings from sensors and fool the ECU into thinking it's colder than it is and cause the engine to run rich permanently, causing all sorts of damage, some expensive to repair, some that's irrepariable. Then of course there's the issue of if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing, is it worth the risk doing it yourself?

Mck1
Sunday 10th January 2010, 12:03
I know what you mean, I purchased one for £8 and yes that's all it was, never fitted!

The one I'm looking at is an eprom chip that replaces the chip in the ECU, only £49.99 from E**y. Does sound cheap? Humm.

What mods have you carried out? I've carried out the following:

Cold Air Intake Mod & cone filter -3-5 bhp
Improve Air Delivery to N/A Engines w/ VVIS Mod -proven 9bhp upto 4100RPM

ChrisMClark
Sunday 10th January 2010, 13:44
Not done anything yet, probably not going to. I had considered it, but this car isn't in the best condition so I'll be looking for a T5 next year and going to town on that instead!