PDA

View Full Version : 850/?70 short shifter kit group buy

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 02:01
after speaking to Kristian who makes the short shift kits he's kindly offered a discount on a group buy. The kits include an adaptor plate to shorten the throw of the gearlever, & 2 brass bushes to remove the play in the selector cables. More info http://www.shortshiftkit.com/ once he gets the site up & running again. The group buy will remain open till next weekend (17th)

Individually the kits are $68 (£43) but below are the deals we've been offered

5 - 9 people at $59 + £3 UK postage = £40
10+ people at $56 + £3 UK postage = £38

1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r

if your interested please add yourself to the above list

claymore
Sunday 10th January 2010, 08:43
1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r
5 Claymore

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 12:28
1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r
5 Claymore
6 Wobbly Dave

Tomcat
Sunday 10th January 2010, 12:30
Arse....if the car wasn't up for sale I'd be in for this, don't think I'll need it though on a 960...

t5 stealth
Sunday 10th January 2010, 14:16
1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r
5 Claymore
6 Wobbly Dave
7 t5 stealth
i dont know how to add me to the list lol

Chad
Sunday 10th January 2010, 14:23
1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r
5 Claymore
6 Wobbly Dave
7 t5 stealth
8 Chad

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 10th January 2010, 14:33
Nice idea it would be good to see how long your syncros will last as i may go for one :)

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 14:40
Nice idea it would be good to see how long your syncros will last as i may go for one :)
shall i add you to the list then Russ? I wouldn't of thought it will affect anything on the gearbox as its only adjusting the pivot point on the gear selector/cables

t5 stealth
Sunday 10th January 2010, 14:41

it shouldnt affect the synchro should it..it just alters the movement at the gear stick end,the linkage is still moveing the same amount on the gearbox

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 10th January 2010, 14:48
shall i add you to the list then Russ? I wouldn't of thought it will affect anything on the gearbox as its only adjusting the pivot point on the gear selector/cables

it shouldnt affect the synchro should it..it just alters the movement at the gear stick end,the linkage is still moveing the same amount on the gearbox

I Might be wrong :duck: but have always thought the short shifter kits are a good idea but surely your just trying to beat the syncro as you can change gear that much quicker.

Russ

t5 stealth
Sunday 10th January 2010, 15:29
I Might be wrong :duck: but have always thought the short shifter kits are a good idea but surely your just trying to beat the syncro as you can change gear that much quicker.

Russ

i thought it just reduced the movement of the stick,it wont make any difrence in gear change speed,but purely the distance between the gear stick travel..........

Flatout Phil
Sunday 10th January 2010, 16:23
I can't open the link - just goes to a holding page. How tricky is this kit to fit? Would certainly appeal to my restrained (ha ha) driving style.

t5 pete
Sunday 10th January 2010, 16:24
Hi russ have you got the pm i sent you the other day regarding tuning software

t5 pete
Sunday 10th January 2010, 16:32
heres some info on it its With any short shift kit it can be assumed that the time interval for all of the required "gear braking" CAN be reduced since the gears are closer together. If you select gears at the same speed as when your car had a stock shift linkage then there is no difference and your syncronizers have plenty of time to do their job. Basically what I'm saying here is that the faster you change gears even with a stock shift linkage the greater the chance for gear grinding. And so if you speed shift your gears with your new short shift kit then you run a greater chance of getting gear grind. It's that simple. It doesn't matter whose kit you are using, either. If you overwhelm the syncronizer's ability to do it's job then you will eventually get gear grinding and you will also overheat and destroy your syncronizer for the particular gear that is grinding. The only recourse in this case is to replace the brass syncronizer ring inside the transmission which is somewhat expensive. And if you grind gears for too long you might break a tooth off of one of your gears and this floating tooth is not very good for the guts of your transmission

As it states ive all ready damaged the syscro in 2nd and yes the shif kit will make it worse for me, i did this by changing from 1st to 2nd really fast causing the gears to crash so imho this can happen with the stanadard set up if your not racing the gears all the time i cannot see a problem.
At the end of the day its like tuning, a candle that burns brighter will not last as long unless the candle has been made thicker.
E.g forged rods and pistons etc.

hope this helps pete

Clan998
Sunday 10th January 2010, 16:35
I can't open the link - just goes to a holding page. How tricky is this kit to fit? Would certainly appeal to my restrained (ha ha) driving style.

Phil

Ive fitted one on my car , took me about an hour , just need to move the airbox out of the way . You'll need a good HSS bit, ( well maybe 2 one for a pilot hole and the correct size one ) a few sockets and spanners. Everything else is straight forward ;-)

A worthwhile mod in my opinion :-)

Rich

S70T5Chris
Sunday 10th January 2010, 16:48
1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r
5 Claymore
6 Wobbly Dave
7 t5 stealth
8 Chad
9 s70t5chris

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 16:59
Kristian is currently swopping over to a new website, the video below is an instalation guide so you can see whats involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14gmpnwvUyI

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 10th January 2010, 17:00

No thankyou maybe one day :)

Hi russ have you got the pm i sent you the other day regarding tuning software

Pm sent

heres some info on it its With any short shift kit it can be assumed that the time interval for all of the required "gear braking" CAN be reduced since the gears are closer together. If you select gears at the same speed as when your car had a stock shift linkage then there is no difference and your syncronizers have plenty of time to do their job. Basically what I'm saying here is that the faster you change gears even with a stock shift linkage the greater the chance for gear grinding. And so if you speed shift your gears with your new short shift kit then you run a greater chance of getting gear grind. It's that simple. It doesn't matter whose kit you are using, either. If you overwhelm the syncronizer's ability to do it's job then you will eventually get gear grinding and you will also overheat and destroy your syncronizer for the particular gear that is grinding. The only recourse in this case is to replace the brass syncronizer ring inside the transmission which is somewhat expensive. And if you grind gears for too long you might break a tooth off of one of your gears and this floating tooth is not very good for the guts of your transmission

As it states ive all ready damaged the syscro in 2nd and yes the shif kit will make it worse for me, i did this by changing from 1st to 2nd really fast causing the gears to crash so imho this can happen with the stanadard set up if your not racing the gears all the time i cannot see a problem.
At the end of the day its like tuning, a candle that burns brighter will not last as long unless the candle has been made thicker.
E.g forged rods and pistons etc.

hope this helps pete

Thanks very interesting Pete i will stick to the system i have i am fed up with gearbox's failing as it is i guess thats the price you pay for having a silly and stupid amount of power lol

Russ

rogert5
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:06
Pedro, just a point, When I bought my powder coat kit from the USA I had to pay VAT on it before the Post Office would let me have it. Won't this apply to these kits too?

Clan998
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:15
Pedro, just a point, When I bought my powder coat kit from the USA I had to pay VAT on it before the Post Office would let me have it. Won't this apply to these kits too?

Hi

When I got mine didnt have any problems with VAT just arrived to my door as a normal package. Wasnt even that big probably about 1/2 an A4 size jiffy bag.

Rich

t5 pete
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:18
just one more to go

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:25
you do sometimes have to pay import tax but it depends on how the parcel is sent, if its sent labelled as a gift then its exempt

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:27
just one more to go
& only after a day, it'd be nice if i have to email Kristian back & renegotiate a deal on 15+ :worship:

Jimmie
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:31
you do sometimes have to pay import tax but it depends on how the parcel is sent, if its sent labelled as a gift then its exempt
I would very much dought that an exporter would risk (big penalty)putting gift on the label.
If you have to pay import duty due to the tolal amount of the items how much will you have saved?.

pigfight
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:33
hi folks,
please count me in on this, ive just managed to get back on line after my laptop f*** up!! so only just caught up, fancied one of these for ages.
just let me know of the payment plan and where to send it.
cheers.

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:36
I would very much dought that an exporter would risk (big penalty)putting gift on the label.
If you have to pay import duty due to the tolal amount of the items how much will you have saved?.
i've recieved stuff from shops abroad wrapped in birthday wrapping paper before lol.

import tax won't make any difference to the saving, if we have to pay it on the group buy we would of had to pay it if we'd of ordered individually

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:42
please count me in on this, ive just managed to get back on line after my laptop f*** up!! so only just caught up, fancied one of these for ages.
just let me know of the payment plan and where to send it.
don't you just love computers lol. I'll be taking paypal payment after the 17th & send them out when they turn up which should be about a week, now we've got 10 we've looking at £38

1 P Fandango
2 Pault5estate
3 t5 pete
4 Jamest5r
5 Claymore
6 Wobbly Dave
7 t5 stealth
8 Chad
9 s70t5chris
10 pigfight

t5 pete
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:47
there might be more yet

Jimmie
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:48
How can you have 10+ gifts in one parcel?.
It the total value of parcel that counts,better to get the supplier to down size (value)the price.

p fandango
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:51
there might be more yet
yeh, we'll go with the original plan & leave the list open till the 17th

t5 pete
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:57
good idea pedro

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 10th January 2010, 22:51
You will definately have to pay import tax...plus VAT...

The invoice is often sent out after the goods have arrived, just like my CCTV stuff from Hong Kong. Pedro, don't get stung on this.

p fandango
Monday 11th January 2010, 14:13
right due to this new info i'm afraid this is to complex for me to run, i've been stung with import tax i wasn't expecting on goods before & the last thing i want is for X many kits to turn up & the price to be higher than expected. If i could get a 100% guaranteed price before anything was confirmed then it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but as it is the goverment have got 6 different ways of taxing on imported goods

what i will say is if you are still interested don't hesitate to contact Kristian at shortshiftkit@gmail.com, he's been very helpful & i would also like to thank him for suggesting the group buy & all the trouble he's gone to

t5 pete
Monday 11th January 2010, 16:33
I understand fully pedro

pigfight
Monday 11th January 2010, 16:37
I understand fully pedro

ditto from me, cheers for the effort and thought.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th January 2010, 16:38
I am happy to take over from Pedro - if the demand is still the same - on the understanding that the import duty will be divided equally and added to the final price.

t5 pete
Monday 11th January 2010, 16:41
we have probley got more chance bypassing the import duty if we all buy seprate and the parcels will be small and weight next to nothing

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th January 2010, 16:47
In that case I will let the group buy thing go - and say cheers to Pedro for trying

Jimmie
Monday 11th January 2010, 17:29
Pedro im glad you have seen sense as it is to risky unless you've got the final figures as it could have cost YOU money.

p fandango
Monday 11th January 2010, 18:03
thanks for understanding chaps, with changing currency & the import tax it was just too much uncertainty of how much it would come to for my liking

Kristian has said he is more than happy for the group buy to carry on if someone else is prepared to take over, he agreed (& i do) with Jimmie that 10 packages with instructions etc won't look much like a gift but he will give it a low value which will help reduce the import tax. I'm more than happy to carry on communicating with Kristian if someone does want to carry on

on a positive note my kit is on its way :hug:

t5 pete
Monday 11th January 2010, 18:07
lol i need his web site to load back up so i can order myne or can i have his e-mail please

p fandango
Monday 11th January 2010, 18:10
lol i need his web site to load back up so i can order myne or can i have his e-mail please
his email address is shortshiftkit@gmail.com, a very helpful & friendly bloke. Paypal payments are sent to the same address ($68)

t5 pete
Monday 11th January 2010, 18:12
Thanks pedro ill get myne on order

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 14:12
Do your group buy individually with the supplier.

And note on the ends of your orders 'vpcuk' for a standard discount.

The saving offered really isn't that fantastic at £3....

p fandango
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 15:22
The saving offered really isn't that fantastic at £3....
it may not seem much but it was 10% of the goods price, which you can't complain at

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:04
Mine has been dispatched. I am just hoping that I am lucky with the bushings.

If not my father will be getting details on how to make them!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:30
Mine has been dispatched. I am just hoping that I am lucky with the bushings.

If not my father will be getting details on how to make them!

I'll have the bushes off you Dave if they don't fit mate.

t5 pete
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:32
how come you think the bushes might not fit

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:51
ME7 cars may differ.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:51
I'll have the bushes off you Dave if they don't fit mate.
Absolutely. I will put you top of the list

WOODY T5
Saturday 16th January 2010, 20:41
did anyone get there shortshift kit yet got mine this morning good bit of kit

p fandango
Saturday 16th January 2010, 20:46
did anyone get there shortshift kit yet got mine this morning good bit of kit
no not yet mate, bit concerned really because the tracking site doesn't seem to be updating & just says "Electronic Shipping Info Received" so not sure whats going on. Do you mind me asking when yours was shipped, mine was shipped on the 11th January so wouldn't of thought it should be too long now

glad your happy with it

yellowt5r
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:14
i dont understand why dont you just make them?? they dont look hard to make at all.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 17th January 2010, 22:23
i dont understand why dont you just make them?? they dont look hard to make at all.
sorry but I am fresh out aircraft grade aluminium and a milling machine. :slap:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th January 2010, 10:47
My kit has just landed! and for a change from most stuff from the US - it looks reasonably well made. :B_thumb:

p fandango
Monday 18th January 2010, 15:45
got mine as well this morning, already in the tin with the other bits to be fitted lol

yellowt5r
Monday 18th January 2010, 19:01
sorry but I am fresh out aircraft grade aluminium and a milling machine. :slap:

just spend your money on a metal plate with a few bolts and holes in all for a bargain price of £38 BARGAIN!!!:cuckoo:

the must be someone who can make it.

cheers

Jamest5r
Monday 18th January 2010, 19:31
My kit has just landed! and for a change from most stuff from the US - it looks reasonably well made. :B_thumb:

How do the brass bushes look fit wise mate?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th January 2010, 21:15
Been too busy today to have a look and it's a bit dark now. The added bonus of having to take the short air ram kit out - means it maybe a while before I find out?

Jamest5r
Tuesday 19th January 2010, 16:35
Been too busy today to have a look and it's a bit dark now. The added bonus of having to take the short air ram kit out - means it maybe a while before I find out?

No probs mate.

Volvostorm
Saturday 30th January 2010, 17:08
Ordered mine today :)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th February 2010, 22:40
Finally got the thing fitted. Boy the bushes on the main change were quite literally bushed.

Unfortunately, thesupplied brass bush kit is too small for the newer m56 g/b, so I will get my Dad to mill up the bushes to fit mine - in brass or just buy some new rubber ones from Volvo - once I get the drawings from the US - Good news for James!!

Swapped the bushes over so that the slightly better one was on married to the shifter kit.

Have to say that I really like the short shift - taking a while to get used to.

And for those using metric - the drill bit you need is 6.5mm