PDA

View Full Version : 205 55/16 winter tyres WILL THEY FIT AN R

Flatout Phil
Saturday 9th January 2010, 08:57
My R needs snow tyres - the Volvo reccomendation is for 185/65 15 winter tyres (sadly I have big brakes so can't do this without re discking etc). In the winter I use 16" Perfos to protect the Volans - these have 205 50 16 but the only winter tyres I can find are 205 55 16. The question is, on the reduced R suspension, will they fit without rubbing???
ALL IDEAS WELCOMED as have resorted to refitting the Volans which have newish P-Zeros to get some grip.

big fan volvo
Saturday 9th January 2010, 09:03
yes they will, I run 16 snow tyres, 205 x 50 vredestein, with RUD snow chains, work fine on V70R.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 9th January 2010, 09:32
yes they will, I run 16 snow tyres, 205 x 50 vredestein, with RUD snow chains, work fine on V70R.

I may just get some secondhand ones fitted to the Perfos and give it a try but as I say they are 55 and not 50 profile. I am assuming the chains would add the additional 5cm.
On the assumption that some cars on here are fitted with wider tyres, I do wonder if there is actually fouling issue on my proposed 205/55/16.

big fan volvo
Saturday 9th January 2010, 10:06
How about Camskill tyres, seem to have plenty of tyres in size you wanted

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s628p0

T5frankie
Saturday 9th January 2010, 10:53
i had winter tyres fitted to my T5 never used in snow but very arse out slippy in the rain and wet roads be careful

Flatout Phil
Saturday 9th January 2010, 14:45
How about Camskill tyres, seem to have plenty of tyres in size you wanted

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s628p0

Camskill are out of just about everything - all showing no stock - of course when I looked three weeks ago they had everything in stock :doh:

nobananas
Sunday 10th January 2010, 22:53
I run 205/55/16's on my T5 all the time without any rubbing issues and I'm running lowered H&R springs.

Flatout Phil
Monday 11th January 2010, 08:31
I run 205/55/16's on my T5 all the time without any rubbing issues and I'm running lowered H&R springs.

I have now sourced some 205/50 16 snow tyres - but thanks for the info. Will guarantee that no snow will ever fall in south London again.

thebadger
Monday 11th January 2010, 08:52
I just bought some snow chains, thus gaurenteeing the same for most of my area.

The 5mm will not have a huge impact TBH, but the comments on their road grip out of snow is correct, they are pretty much useless in the wet & noisy with poor grip in the dry.

I had thoughts of buying a set of nasty Metis or something similar just to put snow or studded tyres on last year... :slap:

Oh well, maybe this year!

Flatout Phil
Monday 11th January 2010, 11:06
I just bought some snow chains, thus gaurenteeing the same for most of my area.

The 5mm will not have a huge impact TBH, but the comments on their road grip out of snow is correct, they are pretty much useless in the wet & noisy with poor grip in the dry.

I had thoughts of buying a set of nasty Metis or something similar just to put snow or studded tyres on last year... :slap:

Oh well, maybe this year!

Snow socks are supposed to be good - easier than chains apparently. Watch that the chains do not snap and wrap around the axle. The problem I have is that I have mixed roads - some clear, some snowy, some icy - so chains not suitable, and the 'socks' likewise, I know BabyBadger swore by Vredestein M&S tyres - I will see. The Volvo owners manual has some guidance on the snow and ice tyre/chain issue.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 11th January 2010, 11:13
I was looking at the Vreds, but another tyre which has even higher ratings is the Nokian WRG2

My tyres are 205/55R16 so they should fit yours no problem.

Only problem is, I can't find anyone near me who will supply and fit them, and nobody is getting back to me.

I know about camskill and other online places, but they don't fit the tyre, and that will cost me more.

thebadger
Monday 11th January 2010, 11:15
The only time I'm likley to fit them is if the snow/ice on my hill is too bad to drive up.

(less than half a mile at sub 20mph)

Flatout Phil
Monday 11th January 2010, 15:08
I was looking at the Vreds, but another tyre which has even higher ratings is the Nokian WRG2

My tyres are 205/55R16 so they should fit yours no problem.

Only problem is, I can't find anyone near me who will supply and fit them, and nobody is getting back to me.

I know about camskill and other online places, but they don't fit the tyre, and that will cost me more.

I resorted to the bay of fleas - don't like using used tyres, but needs must, and friendly fitter round corner (also sells used tyres) will fit them for me.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 13:49
Have now had some Yokohama Ice Guard tyres fitted - they seem to work well: even on wet roads. They are the same size (205/50/16) and spec as are fitted to Imprezas apparently.

Not quite sure I will be doing this though...well, not yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_p7ZaAxWpY&feature=related

:funkybana

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 14:05
And this is why the sun is now shining and the snow melting across souther England....

nobananas
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 19:10
Just fitted some new Nexen 8000's to the front of the ovlov today (had 6000's on and got nearly new 6000's on the rear) time will tell whether they are as good as the 6000's I took off.

streaky744
Thursday 14th January 2010, 20:54
did you ever consider just altering tyre pressure's? i race on all types of surfaces and found it helps a lot. when the snow hit i let my tyres down to 12psi and drove to work no problems even up hills (gentle throttle control also). stopped to help a stuck vw driver who said how good it must be to have a 4wd volvo in this weather, his face was a picture when told him it was fwd with over 200 horses. then when road conditions improved just blew then back up with no ill affects and no cost just a bit of time to re inflate tyres.

nobananas
Thursday 14th January 2010, 21:28
did you ever consider just altering tyre pressure's? i race on all types of surfaces and found it helps a lot. when the snow hit i let my tyres down to 12psi and drove to work no problems even up hills (gentle throttle control also). stopped to help a stuck vw driver who said how good it must be to have a 4wd volvo in this weather, his face was a picture when told him it was fwd with over 200 horses. then when road conditions improved just blew then back up with no ill affects and no cost just a bit of time to re inflate tyres.

Good idea, increases your tyres footprint just remember to re-inflate them afterwards. (mind you the front ones on my T5 loose pressure and they are often down to 25 psi before I get the car off the missus a to check them !)

Flatout Phil
Friday 15th January 2010, 18:48

Funnily enough I have used this technique on the T5 - was stuck and let down the tyres to get myself out. Always a useful one to remember though.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 14:05
Getting ready to refit the Yokohama Ice Guards (they are in the boot on a set of Perfos) cause I'm not getting caught out like earlier this year again!

Snow? Bring it on! Oh the delights of an LSD!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 14:51
Snow? Bring it on! Oh the delights of an LSD!
Hehehehehe AWD FTW lol

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 15:41
I use 16" Hankook - asian jobiies - on perfo last winter with great success even if they make the C70 look a bit weird.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 16:16
I use 16" Hankook - asian jobiies - on perfo last winter with great success even if they make the C70 look a bit weird.

Dave, we drive Volvos - we already look weird! ;)