PDA

View Full Version : New '03 V70R awd 'manual'

LeeT5
Friday 8th January 2010, 02:05
Well done to Aftershock on his finest hour...the purchase of probably the best 'Laser Blue' '99 V70R AWD estate in the land! :Handshake

Not wanting to steal his thunder, i thought i would start my own 'look at my new car' thread. So, here we are with a few photo's. I pick the car up next Thursday (alas Sir David - you won't be able to collect your prize until after the 14th - Sorry) and boy, i can't wait!!!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Frontview.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/rearview.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Dash.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Centertableanddrinksholder.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Childboosterseats.jpg

...and here are some press photo's of exactly the same car...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Volvo-V70_R_2003_800x600_wallpap-3.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Volvo-V70_R_2003_800x600_wallpap-1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Volvo-V70_R_2003_800x600_wallpaper_.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Volvo-V70_R_interiorLHD.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Volvo-V70_R_2003_800x600_wallpap-2.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/Phase%202%20V70R%20AWD/Volvo-V70_R_2003_interiorLHD.jpg

I am like a child before Christmas at the moment!

Comments please...

lance
Friday 8th January 2010, 10:24
Very nice

Murphy
Friday 8th January 2010, 10:38
Want!

PaulZX
Friday 8th January 2010, 11:34
*jealous*

so what? like I'm bothered

(yes I'm jealous)

LeeT5
Friday 8th January 2010, 12:00
*jealous*

so what? like I'm bothered

(yes I'm jealous)

LOL...i remember being very jealous of classic shape R owners when i had my lowly Black N reg T5 estate...and now look what i have gone and done!

It was way back in 1994 that i bought my First Black Volvo 440GLT of a dealer forecourt for £7k!! I thought back then it was the closest i would ever get to a T5 and they were 18 - 20K territory!! Funny how life pans out. Onwards and upwards as they say. If you aspire to something you will always get there in the end...just have to play the waiting game.

Anyway thats enough chat, i gotta ring Chris Knott.

Al115
Friday 8th January 2010, 12:43
Fool!!! You'll just spend the next year fixing it!!! :-)

Nice car though, can see why you fancied it!

richiemat
Friday 8th January 2010, 12:58
Very Smart. :smileypul

Libra
Friday 8th January 2010, 13:20
A very nice example V70R. These are wonderful cars to own and drive (when all working correctly). Enjoy. I am in mine.

Happygilmore78
Friday 8th January 2010, 13:26
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! you lucky lucky bugger! :)

cornclose
Friday 8th January 2010, 14:18
I do like those silvered headlights... I wonder if mine can be taken apart and painted silver like those. It would be the next best thing to facelift units.

danny-R
Friday 8th January 2010, 15:00
very nice mate, not jealous one bit.
funnily enough i was just looking (more like dreaming lol) at this car on pistonheads this morning.
enjoy

aftershock
Friday 8th January 2010, 15:30
Congratulations on your new "toy" ... I'm looking forward to picking up a very nice car myself soon!!

abdul
Friday 8th January 2010, 16:14
wow very nice

Flash B
Friday 8th January 2010, 21:19
I can only think of four letter words...all of which are offensive.
In the words of Jim Carey...b-e-a-utiful.

WOODY T5
Friday 8th January 2010, 21:31
looking good

cameron
Friday 8th January 2010, 21:32
Very tidy car indeed ;)

Even with the " Duke " leather interior, i like it very muchly.

Im another one thats also not jealous :cry:

bonus
Friday 8th January 2010, 21:50
jammy tw@t! nice motor

gazjacko
Friday 8th January 2010, 21:53
So looking at the interior you joined the 'Saffey' club!!!
Lovely motor! have you stopped playing with all the toys yet?

LeeT5
Saturday 9th January 2010, 12:50
So looking at the interior you joined the 'Saffey' club!!!
Lovely motor! have you stopped playing with all the toys yet?

Not picked her up yet m8. Thursday is the day....:D

volvoturboman
Sunday 10th January 2010, 10:00
Realy nice mate, best of luck with it.

dave stew
Sunday 10th January 2010, 10:08
Lovely. Just the spec I'd have. Really jealous!

AndysR
Sunday 10th January 2010, 12:23
Nice when I first started seeing these with that colour interior I really disliked it. But as time has gone by I have really started to like the colour and in certain colour cars, like yours, it really works :)

So how does it compared to your previous car in terms of performance :)

LeeT5
Monday 11th January 2010, 01:02
LOL...i remember being very jealous of classic shape R owners when i had my lowly Black N reg T5 estate...

...Here is the said T5...Probably the cleanest, shiniest Black T5 estate in the land?! Never, ever seen it since i sold her...anyone know her whereabouts?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/LeeT5/88b4a9c6.jpg

abdul
Monday 11th January 2010, 01:08
u definately like to look after your cars

LeeT5
Monday 11th January 2010, 01:10
Nice when I first started seeing these with that colour interior I really disliked it. But as time has gone by I have really started to like the colour and in certain colour cars, like yours, it really works :)

So how does it compared to your previous car in terms of performance :)

Absolutely no idea! I collect the car on Thursday 14th! I will be driving in my 'Laser' Blue from 0700 and travelling to Devizes via the M20, M26, M25, M3, A303 then over Salisbury plain. Then both my new Black 'R' and my current 'Laser' 'R' (my m8 driving) will be heading North along the A4 to Chievely services A34/M4 junc. Will be there about midday to hand over the 'Laser' to David (AKA Aftershock)...then driving M4 home to Maidstone.

So, if anyone see's us then give us a big flash or meet us at the services if your not doing much and wanna check out both cars! The 'Laser' will be missed but i am glad it's going to a careful owner.

LeeT5
Monday 11th January 2010, 01:12
u definately like to look after your cars

Thanks Abdul!

I had that T5 for 4 years and it never ever let me down. Bought with 134k and sold with 196k for £2000. Brilliant car and good in the snow too.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:14
Very very nice looking new car choice - I would deffo have if it could be justified.

The only downer is sadly the price of putting it right if it does 'break' - by all accounts they are an absolute fortune to put right and you have to use OE / uprated parts given the type of car it is.

Storm-Troll
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:38
very nice mate. looks lovely.. I especially like the having your having a steerling wheel on both the left and right sides as the photos show... PMSL:hidesbehi. good for handing over to the misses to drive when u get tired without having to stop....lol

cookie
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:42
Lovely car, and Black IMHO is the only colour that you can get away with the dickinson interior with, have you checked history for uprated angle gear? as it can be costly if its not been done.

For 2k Dave has got a cracking deal on your P1, puts other peoples expectations of car prices into perspective.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:46
Lovely car, and Black IMHO is the only colour that you can get away with the dickinson interior with, have you checked history for uprated angle gear? as it can be costly if its not been done.

Talk about a spanner in the works - good call - this has been mentioned before although not associated with this thread.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:47

For 2k Dave has got a cracking deal on your P1, puts other peoples expectations of car prices into perspective.

£2k for that Laser Blue V70 R???????? That was a deal and a half!

Tomcat
Monday 11th January 2010, 14:54
Unless I'm mistaken I think he meant he'd sold the black T5 for 2k, not the V70R.

Al115
Monday 11th January 2010, 15:15
I'm sure it didn't sell for £2k :P

LeeT5
Monday 11th January 2010, 15:59
I'm sure it didn't sell for £2k :P

Ha ha, you could have a go in it for 2K....

Black T5 sold for £2000.
Blue V70R awd sold for £4000.
New V70R awd bought for .....that would be telling! Alot less than asking.

JG220
Thursday 4th February 2010, 12:42
Looks great!

Needs roof bars though :)

Mental Wealth Doctor
Thursday 4th February 2010, 13:32
congratulations! nice looking motor

t5_monkey
Thursday 4th February 2010, 22:44
Did they kill a David Dickinson to do the interior? :)

awesome car tho - I'm jealous, black, 300bhp 4wd yum yum

LeeT5
Thursday 4th February 2010, 23:04
Did they kill a David Dickinson to do the interior? :)

awesome car tho - I'm jealous, black, 300bhp 4wd yum yum

What's with the David Dickinson remarks? It's not as bad as it looks! It is really rich and has cream stitching which really goes. It's lovely and soft and ooohhhhhhhh...so comfortable. Like driving in an armchair!

abdul
Thursday 4th February 2010, 23:33
u enjoying th new motor

LeeT5
Thursday 4th February 2010, 23:39
u enjoying th new motor

Yeah man, loving it. I am just about to post some more pictures....look out for the thread 'Welcome aboard Captain'...in about ten minutes. Just a bit of fun. I am still getting used to the awesome amount of power and how light the throttle is compared to my laser. It's worlds apart :)

abdul
Thursday 4th February 2010, 23:48
Yeah man, loving it. I am just about to post some more pictures....look out for the thread 'Welcome aboard Captain'...in about ten minutes. Just a bit of fun. I am still getting used to the awesome amount of power and how light the throttle is compared to my laser. It's worlds apart :)

aaarrgh i want one

LeeT5
Friday 5th February 2010, 00:28
Very very nice looking new car choice - I would deffo have if it could be justified.

The only downer is sadly the price of putting it right if it does 'break' - by all accounts they are an absolute fortune to put right and you have to use OE / uprated parts given the type of car it is.

Oh i can justify it. Luckily for me the car has full dealer service history including a new Angle gear box, Front shocks, Clutch, dual-mass flywheel, clutch slave cylinder, water pump, timing belt and tensioners all in the last 10,000 miles. :D

LeeT5
Friday 5th February 2010, 00:31
aaarrgh i want one

...here's that thread. No dribbling please :nono:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27174

MIKESC70T5
Friday 5th February 2010, 19:51
Oh i can justify it. Luckily for me the car has full dealer service history including a new Angle gear box, Front shocks, Clutch, dual-mass flywheel, clutch slave cylinder, water pump, timing belt and tensioners all in the last 10,000 miles. :D

It's a lovely looking car and i hope it proves as reliable as your old one but personally I'd be scared to drive the thing incase it went wrong again. How many miles had it done before all that needed replacing? I hope they gave you an excellent warranty just incase it all goes wrong again.

Al115
Friday 5th February 2010, 20:01
Headlamps... upwards of £800. No ****.

As the man said - good luck with it! I'd love a ride one day.

MisterC1501
Friday 5th February 2010, 20:24
What's with the David Dickinson remarks? It's not as bad as it looks! It is really rich and has cream stitching which really goes. It's lovely and soft and ooohhhhhhhh...so comfortable. Like driving in an armchair!

The orange interior would be the only reason I would buy the phase two cars, oh, and the brembo brakes......If they both could be adapted to go into my Classic, then I would spend the money and do it!!

Good luck with your new car.........sorry, but after driving one I would not swap for mine IMHO

LeeT5
Friday 5th February 2010, 21:36
It's a lovely looking car and i hope it proves as reliable as your old one but personally I'd be scared to drive the thing incase it went wrong again. How many miles had it done before all that needed replacing? I hope they gave you an excellent warranty just incase it all goes wrong again.

The mileage at the time of all the listed parts being replaced was between 90,000 and 101,000. I bought the car privately, so no warranty. Anyway i have 'Breakdown repair cover' with the AA so i can claim up to £2500 per year for any breakdown or failure of electrical parts etc.

I think you have been listening to too many horror stories or ppl that have owned 'R's and not treated them with respect. It's all too easy to drive with a heavy foot in these cars and if you don't have a clue about maintenance, and lets be honest, there are a lot of people infact, probably the majority that don't even know the basics or have a partner or wife that drives the car on the school run, leaving it open to unwanton abuse, getting kerbed heavily and moan because everytime the car goes in for a service it costs a grand! Even i have noticed (doing the job i do) ppl are putting off basic serviceing or i like to call it 'preventative maintenance'.

Firstly i don't abuse cars. Secondly i know enough to recognise even the smallest of problems that could ultimately lead to a bigger more expensive problem and lastly, if something needs doing or fixing i get it done, regardless of cost. I keep on top of it then it never lets me down.

If i thought Volvo's of any model weren't reliable then i wouldn't buy them. I have had them for over 17 years of driving.

yes i know these cars can be expensive IF they go wrong, so what. i deal with it. If i wanted to own a cheap, reliable car then i would have not bought a BMW and certainly not bought anything French, Italian, Spanish or American! Fact of the matter is, i own a 155mph car and therefore i am prepared to pay for it, otherwise i would have considered buying a Ford. But then life would be dull and common.

:wink:

MIKESC70T5
Friday 5th February 2010, 22:17
The orange interior would be the only reason I would buy the phase two cars, oh, and the brembo brakes......If they both could be adapted to go into my Classic, then I would spend the money and do it!!

Good luck with your new car.........sorry, but after driving one I would not swap for mine IMHO

what didn't you like about it?

MisterC1501
Friday 5th February 2010, 23:11
what didn't you like about it?

The whole driving experience........I think I had believed that the newer model would have been significantly better to drive, better performance and superior handling........I felt disappointed more than anything after the test drive that the car was not anything better than my standard V70R that justified in any way, a further investment of upto £5k more.

I think that if the car was offered as a straight swap, I still would have eventually turned it down. Just glad that it wasn't in my fave colour combo of Flash Green and that gorgeous orange interior, otherwise I would have bought the car for all the wrong reasons.

Just my opinion, but not in any way to dampen Lee's newest toy. I just prefare the Classic version.

volvokid
Friday 5th February 2010, 23:24
The whole driving experience........I think I had believed that the newer model would have been significantly better to drive, better performance and superior handling........I felt disappointed more than anything after the test drive that the car was not anything better than my standard V70R that justified in any way, a further investment of upto £5k more.

I think that if the car was offered as a straight swap, I still would have eventually turned it down. Just glad that it wasn't in my fave colour combo of Flash Green and that gorgeous orange interior, otherwise I would have bought the car for all the wrong reasons.

Just my opinion, but not in any way to dampen Lee's newest toy. I just prefare the Classic version.

Have you only ever driven one? I know when my dad first drove one he preffered the 850 I think he still does but he's weird he prefers his defender to the hilux.The driving experience takes a bit to get use to I feel you have to really start pushing them more than the older ones to get the smile factor but there limit is far higher than the older cars, the first time I put my foot down in his S60R I did think yeah thats fast but I felt the 850 gave you more a boot in the arse you just have to learn to drive them.

LeeT5
Friday 5th February 2010, 23:43

Are you sure you drove a R AWD?? (LOL) I am not about to explain the impeccable condition or the BSR tuning that my Laser Blue R has, although i'm not the current owner (Aftershock is..) and everyone that has been on VPCUK in the last year will know what car i am talking about, but without doubt i don't think you can compare these two cars against each other. They are completely different. I will argue till i am blue in the face but i know for a fact that my current R would pis s all over my old one. The acceleration alone is worlds apart! The brakes are sooo powerful compared to the classic R, even thou mine had very new oe Pads and discs and new calipers too....and don't even mention the cornering. It's incredible!! Totally flat in corners. There is one particular bend that i know very well and i could take it at max 50mph in the dry in my laser, however i hit the same corner in the wet doing 65mph and it didn't let go at all and i wasn't even in 'Advanced'!! Had i been then i could have done it even faster. Admittedly these cars are known to skip about abit at the back and mine is no exception but overall my new R is far superior in the performance department and leagues ahead in terms of cabin pleasure and comfort. The seats are a HUGE improvement! I'm sure other late R owners that have owned classic Rs will back me up!? ;)

volvokid
Friday 5th February 2010, 23:59
I'm sure other late R owners that have owned classic Rs will back me up!? ;)

I think I did lol

LeeT5
Saturday 6th February 2010, 00:08
I think I did lol

I know m8, just wanted to make a point :)

britten_mark
Saturday 6th February 2010, 00:36
Having owned a '96 850 T5, a '98 V70R, and an '05 V70R in succession I'll chip in.

Trying to compare new cars to old is futile as the law of diminishing returns kicks in. All you can do is judge them on their merits.

For example I put off upgrading from the T5 to the classic R as I could never see why they were worth double the money. Took the plunge and can confirm they are not; law of diminishing returns etc. However still glad I had one.

Similarly the '05 R is not worth 4 times as much as my old '98 R, how could it be? However it is a world better; faster, smoother, quieter, amazing soft leather seats, beautiful detailing, fantastic brakes. Truly a cross continental GT. The only thing I miss is that being more sophisticated the amount of DIY jobs I can undertake on the car are much less, and that means making friends with Mr Stealer, but that's most cars these days isn't it?

Everyone who rides in it loves it, a workmate has started looking for one, and the missus says that it's the last car in the house to get sold if some financial calamity occurred.

LeeT5
Saturday 6th February 2010, 00:45
Exactly that.

MisterC1501
Saturday 6th February 2010, 09:31
Have you only ever driven one? I know when my dad first drove one he preffered the 850 I think he still does but he's weird

Yep just the one, and yep, maybe me and your old man do have something in common :insane:

MisterC1501
Saturday 6th February 2010, 09:43
The driving experience takes a bit to get use to I feel you have to really start pushing them more than the older ones to get the smile factor but there limit is far higher than the older cars, the first time I put my foot down in his S60R I did think yeah thats fast but I felt the 850 gave you more a boot in the arse you just have to learn to drive them.

Unfortunately, probably like most people who drive a car for the first time with a view to buying, you either love the way the car drives, or you don't. I am not one of those people who make do with a car with the view of " learning to drive them" ......if I don't like it the first time, then I'll always have the nagging doubt that maybe I bought the wrong car for me.......

Spending upwards of £8k on something that you have to learn to drive, over time, in my opinion, seems foolish.

Anyway Lee, enjoy your new toy......this is your moment to gloat and not mine to make any judgements :B_thumb:

LeeT5
Saturday 6th February 2010, 17:32
Unfortunately, probably like most people who drive a car for the first time with a view to buying, you either love the way the car drives, or you don't. I am not one of those people who make do with a car with the view of " learning to drive them" ......if I don't like it the first time, then I'll always have the nagging doubt that maybe I bought the wrong car for me.......

Spending upwards of £8k on something that you have to learn to drive, over time, in my opinion, seems foolish.

Anyway Lee, enjoy your new toy......this is your moment to gloat and not mine to make any judgements :B_thumb:

I loved the way the car drove when i test drove it, So i didn't need to 'learn to drive it', however every corner and every race opportunity opens up a big smile on my face!