PDA

View Full Version : d5 wont run help ?

jimmyc
Thursday 7th January 2010, 19:04
hi started my d5 this morning and after a few seconds it cut out,i started again and it cut out again,i then started again and revved it and was ok but died even at revs, it was - 8 on meter,anyone any ideas as ive just been back to it and its doin exactly the same thanx jim

scooter
Thursday 7th January 2010, 19:52
mine done that a few months ago and it was fuel maybe not on yours but my fuel gauge read 1/4 tank but as soon as i added more fuel it started

jimmyc
Thursday 7th January 2010, 20:16
hi scooter , thanx for reply mine also runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank,i get engine management light as well, im sure its something fuel or a sensor but thats all too tech for me lolllll, if i dont get a pointer ill start with fuel filter and then pooo misaelf coz its gonna cost me a fortune lolllll thanx again jim

t5 stealth
Thursday 7th January 2010, 20:18
at a guess id say crank sensor.......
but you would be better to get the fault codes read as that will point you in the right direction.

scooter
Thursday 7th January 2010, 20:23
the thing is I replaced filter checked connections charged battery but as soon as i put fuel in after all that i done it started

jimmyc
Friday 8th January 2010, 19:36
hi thanxs for replys lads, ill let you know how i get on,prob is its allways dark and cold lol jim

princepugh
Friday 8th January 2010, 20:39
Does it run smooth for those few seconds, or erratic, or misfire? Agree is sounds fuel related but a dodgy MAF could produce similar symptoms? If your engine management light is on anyway, could be worth unplugging the MAF just to eliminate it?

jimmyc
Friday 8th January 2010, 22:21
hi prince it runs smooth as silk and then dies,it has no management light on at all,if i rev it, it respondes no probs and then dies, i only get engine management light when it runs out of diesel when 1/4 full , any ideas jim ps thanx in advance ps the tank is full at minite

timbo_1975
Friday 8th January 2010, 22:22
the thing is I replaced filter checked connections charged battery but as soon as i put fuel in after all that i done it started

From those symptoms , and that replacing the filter effected a cure, I would suggest that the old filter had some water in it, which had frozen....

smithy
Friday 8th January 2010, 23:20
just an idea your fuel might have frozon

mikej
Friday 8th January 2010, 23:25
As above it's bloody cold enough!

jimmyc
Friday 8th January 2010, 23:28
hi lads, ive ordered new fuel filter ,im gonna drain old 1 tomorrow,im not too sure the diesel has frozen unless theres water in it,how i check that im not 2 sure,it was only -8 so i dont think frozen,thanx again 4 replys

mikej
Saturday 9th January 2010, 00:39
unless theres water in it,:smile:

jimmyc
Saturday 9th January 2010, 13:01
hi guys,the plot thickens,just been and unscrewed the drain plug at the bottom of the fuel filter, nothing at all, im sure when you un do that screw you should have a flow of diesel???? if there is water in the diesel what the hell do i do next????? jim

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 9th January 2010, 14:37
just an idea your fuel might have frozon

That was the first thing I thought of.

You could try warming up the underside of the car, small heater, before you open up the drain. Waxing in the line could cause the problem, and warming it up could allow it out.

What sort of temperatures have you been getting?

When the ambient temperatures drop toward 0 degrees C, diesel will begin cloud, this is the paraffin in the mix solidifying. Below 0C the molecules combine into solids, large enough to be stopped by the filter. This is the gel point, it occurs about -9.5C below the cloud point.

This wax then forms a coating on the filter which results in a loss of engine power. The same thing happens on starting an engine when the temperature is below freezing. The filter becomes almost instantly coated with wax - usually, enough fuel gets through to allow the engine to idle, but not attain operating RPM. There are two common ways to overcome this: one is a diesel additive, the other is a fuel heater.

Some years ago I watched wagon drivers light fires under their diesel tanks to get the fuel back up to temperature before setting off, but I'm not suggesting you should do that.

These days they have tank heaters to do the job, but you may need a small convector heater to do it.

After all that I could be wrong.

jimmyc
Saturday 9th January 2010, 15:32
hi thanx for the reply and im quite sure your right,i think ill get a blow torch and have a little operation on it loll,ill start with fuel filter and im tempted to have a look at the sender unit in tank located under the rear seats and see if thats blocked, coz i do have fuel problem at quarter tank as well, ill let you know how i go on thanx again jim

jimmyc
Saturday 9th January 2010, 16:04
hi thanx for the reply and im quite sure your right,i think ill get a blow torch and have a little operation on it loll,ill start with fuel filter and im tempted to have a look at the sender unit in tank located under the rear seats and see if thats blocked, coz i do have fuel problem at quarter tank as well, ill let you know how i go on thanx again jim

ps temp was -8 when prob started

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 9th January 2010, 17:15
ps temp was -8 when prob started

Could be the problem then. Can you cover her up with a blanket or blankets and try and keep her warm over night. Put a small heater under her and then blankets over to keep the heat in, raise the temperature a bit over night and try in the morning.

jimmyc
Saturday 9th January 2010, 18:52
i cant really shes parked quite a distance away , im chargin battery tonight then ill have a look at getting diesel past the filter or at least flowing with some rags and a match lol

thebadger
Saturday 9th January 2010, 20:03
Yeah, some of the newsie types that were out & about "reporting" the fact it's cold had to advise that their deisel cars were failing due to the fuel freezing in the filters.

A small fan heater sat under the car for an hour or so will do no harm to solving the issue.

P.s. the newsies reported -6 celcius when their cars/4x4's failed.

jimmyc
Sunday 10th January 2010, 19:21
hi guys wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo thanx for all the help and ive charged battery, its reading - 2 on meter and started no problems,on releasing nut at bottom of fuel filter its started leaking very very slowly , im just wondering if its a design fault to have these filters so exposed, any ideas on prevention in future cheers again jim

thebadger
Sunday 10th January 2010, 20:50
Wrap it with some fleece? Then some cling-film or shrink wrap?

I honestly cannot say what will or won't work, as the issue may just move to another area on the fuel lines.

Best suggestion is to turn her over once a day in this cold, preferably just before you turn in, so the fuel in the pipes won't be just as cold.

scooter
Sunday 10th January 2010, 21:37
I would agree with badger (but there is a heater for heating the fuel that biofuel users use to warm the oil before use)

thebadger
Sunday 10th January 2010, 23:50
The super low temps are not what it's used to having, so just a touch of care & a bit of heat if you can afford it.

One guy I knew used to put blankets right over the top of the car down to the deck after use, thus keeping quite a lot of heat in, but he then had several heavy damp blankets to deal with.