PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise from front suspension

jbrowncamera
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 11:06
Hello, 1st post. I've just bought a '03 V70 2.4 petrol, manual with 67K I've always owned Saabs but fancied a change.

The car is great other than an annoying knocking from the front, driver's side suspension (at least that what I'm assuming it is). The sound corresponds to bumps, and is regardless of speed, acceleration / breaking. There doesn't seem to be play in the wheel bearings and the shocks seem to have the right amount of 'bounce' in them.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be and the cost implications of fixing, and recommendations for a good (probably independent) Volvo mechanic in west Oxfordshire.

Many thanks in advance, John

Nico20V
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:05
Same again here. Ordered new top mount from volvo (about 30 quid) and was guna swop myself, but then MOT came back with worn swing arm bushes too. They have persihes quite badly and are less than a year old (wear due to hard driving with IPD ARB's I expect). Either could accound for knocking so will find out when I remove strut to fit both. When did you last replace the swing arms?

Nico20V
Monday 11th January 2010, 13:08
Your most likely cause by the way, is simply worn drop links. dead easy to do yourself. Bout £30 each. Just need wheel off.

LeeT5
Friday 19th March 2010, 01:43
Culprits:

1. Drop links.
2. Front spring seats.
3. Worn shock absorbers.

volvoturboman
Friday 19th March 2010, 02:11
My 97 is doing the same had her in and I need to bits, drop link as mentioned and suspension bushes which also cause a knocking sound. Mines is P1 model so older but I'd assume similar set up.

britten_mark
Friday 19th March 2010, 12:43
I have had a light "click" from the same OSF over bumps/corners since some careless bstrds jacked up that corner to replace a tyre.

It sounds like it's really close to me, like at dashboard level. If I didn't know better I would say it sounded like flex from the door hinge, but I know Volvos aren't built like Corsas.

Is it still the 3 culprits above or have they bent something?

LeeT5
Friday 19th March 2010, 23:10
I have had a light "click" from the same OSF over bumps/corners since some careless bstrds jacked up that corner to replace a tyre.

It sounds like it's really close to me, like at dashboard level. If I didn't know better I would say it sounded like flex from the door hinge, but I know Volvos aren't built like Corsas.

Is it still the 3 culprits above or have they bent something?

If they had bent something then it wouldn't click, it would just through your wheel alighnment out. It will almost certainly be one of the above 3. CV's tend to click whilst bushes tend to knock. Start with the cheapest...the link rods. Always replace as pairs too.