PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration (or rather lack of) Issue

Viffer
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 11:20
I am having some intermittent problems with acceleration in a V70 T5 auto. After about 40mph or so, with hard acceleration the power is not consistent. It can come in then falter then come back in, falter again etc or just falter for several seconds then come back. Revs can also drop when it falters or just hold but not increase. Other times it will accelerate like it used to in hooligan mode.

With this happening I don't really want to be going for an overtake and find myself praying to the god of sweet acceleration to help as I have no power all of a sudden.

It does feel like it is a bit slower than it used to be recently and fuel consumption has increased a bit.

Oil consumption is as usual, and no pipes are split/come off that I can find. No coolant leaks either. There are no fault codes, MAF is fine (replaced only 10k ago).

Would this be something to do with the turbo? car has done 140k so far.

Any other things to look at?
Cheers.

JelT5
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 11:28
Had a similar-ish prob; car was a bit jerky on hard accel. turned out my plugs and dizzy cap needed changing! It may be something as simple as that.

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 11:28
Plugs confident, air filter likely, maybe leads. Get the basics correctly set and work from there. My old T5 went through a phase of this (well, two episodes days apart - just as you describe) and I did the above and all was fine (actually, I did not do the leads even). It may be your coil is getting weary too but to me this sounds like tired plugs and breathing issues.

Viffer
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 11:53
Thanks for that chaps.

Plugs could make sense but wouldn't failed/fouled plugs cause a consistent loss of power? also thinking aside, they are changed regularly and always come out looking in good nick, what could cause them to prematurely fail? They were only changed 6k ago.

Air filter is fine, I did check that but it was too cold to start spannering plugs out.

Dizzy and coil could make a lot of sense thinking about it, especially the coil.

Time to get some cold hands later methinks.