PDA

View Full Version : V70 P2 Front Fogs

Flash B
Monday 4th January 2010, 23:10
Ola experts! Happy new year etc.
After adding my V70 to the family, I had a need to turn on the front fog lights when out and about (actually in the fog and NOT trying to look like a boy racer). How shocked I was that the lights were simply kak...I couldn't see a thing. Is this normal for the model?? The lights are in full working order with no damage but don't seem to be doing anything at all.
I know this is a boring one, but what's the best upgrade? (or are better bulbs the only way ahead?)

cornclose
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 09:49
Is there any evidence of the lamps being filled with water/condensation at any point ? Are they clean (both inside the glass and outside). Or it could be that the reflectors are knackered.

v70torslanda
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 14:18
They are only supposed to illuminate the kerbs either side of the road and are strictly speaking only any use if visibility is 25m or less.

Osram Nightbreaker are about the brightest H1 bulbs.

HTH

J

Flash B
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 18:07
All are in order. No damage, no condensation / moisture inside, all clean...baffled again. Thanks for the advice on the bulbs though. I was using the lights in VERY poor visibility and they didn't do a thing.

v70torslanda
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 20:02
Since the beam pattern is well inside the dip beam range, unless you run on sides and leave the dip off you won't see any effect from the fogs.

As it happens I agree that they appear to be nore cosmetic than useful but if you put some uprated bulbs in and upgrade the dip at the same time you will see a real difference . . .

cornclose
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 21:39
I'm using osram nightbreakers in dipped and main beam and they are a big improvement. However, I still have standard halogens in the front fogs because they very rerely get used. All fog lights I've used on cars have been the same, not much point, but as John says, fogs on with dipped beam off will probably show you what beam pattern they produce, which is not that much.

I also think front fogs, like rear fogs, are for assisting with to be seen (rather than see) when used with dipped beam.

Libra
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 21:02
I don't mean to jump in here and hijack the thread, but my front fogs are have condensation on the inside of the glass. How does one clean the glass?

cornclose
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 21:06
Take out the bulb and blow warm air into the housing with a hairdryer until it's gone, that's always worked for me with cars that have had condensation in lamps.

jim
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:13
guys are right fog lights are for fog and don't give you anything other than an enhancement to the sideways beam pattern and very close range they are designed for driving slowly in fog and looking for the edge of the road and better detail for road markings etc close up at a slow speed.

if you want better lights for driving your better off with additional driving lights these have a different beam pattern which gives a much narrower beam concentrated in front of the car for higher speed driving.

The reasons behind the differences are the uses, if your in fog or more recently in heavy snow and you use full beam on your headlights often you'll see flare where a lot of light doesn't give you better vision because its reflected back at you, often normal dipped beam gives better vision; this is what fog lights help with. if your driving fast in the dark you want the increased light to give better visibility in the distance and it won't be reflected around.

google it and you'll get a better explanation such as http://www.autoanything.com/lights/50A22A132A4.aspx which is basic but shows the difference.

if you think the fogs don't work you could either; put on additional driving lights, change them for driving lights or change the internals to fit. as others said headlights are pretty poor std worth upgrading those anyway.
________
Bdsm Leather (http://www.****tube.com/categories/243/leather/videos/1)

Flash B
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:25
I only ever use the front fogs when it's very foggy...(I do hate seeing people with fog lights on all the time - it makes my teeth itch!!). I just noted that they were very poor. I'll take the advice of the experts here and go for better bulbs all round I think.

Oh and another thing on fog lights...are there meant to be two at the rear???

Libra
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:25
Take out the bulb and blow warm air into the housing with a hairdryer until it's gone, that's always worked for me with cars that have had condensation in lamps.

How does one get to the bulb behind the bumper?

cornclose
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:26
Not sure on the R bumper, but I think on the V70 T5 there are some panels you need to remove under the bumper to gain access. Torx screws I think they are.

Libra
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 22:31
I will have a look in the morning.

Libra
Thursday 7th January 2010, 20:48
I had a look and between the bumper and the arch lining I can get to the back of the fog bulb. I will have a go when the snow as gone so I can jack the car up to gain a bit better access.

LeeT5
Friday 8th January 2010, 01:53
Ola experts! Happy new year etc.
After adding my V70 to the family, I had a need to turn on the front fog lights when out and about (actually in the fog and NOT trying to look like a boy racer). How shocked I was that the lights were simply kak...I couldn't see a thing. Is this normal for the model?? The lights are in full working order with no damage but don't seem to be doing anything at all.
I know this is a boring one, but what's the best upgrade? (or are better bulbs the only way ahead?)

I bet your reflectors are knackered. I would out them both, buy two new fog lights and fit HIDs. Sorted :)

LeeT5
Tuesday 26th January 2010, 16:36
I'm using osram nightbreakers in dipped and main beam and they are a big improvement. However, I still have standard halogens in the front fogs because they very rerely get used. All fog lights I've used on cars have been the same, not much point, but as John says, fogs on with dipped beam off will probably show you what beam pattern they produce, which is not that much.

I also think front fogs, like rear fogs, are for assisting with to be seen (rather than see) when used with dipped beam.

Actually the point of front fog lights is that they produce a beam of light below the mist or fog that you are driving through. To make my point, when you turn on your full/high beam then all you get is glare! Fog/mist generally is not as dense a few inches above ground level hense why fog lights are fitted in such a low position on the car. The only other example i can think of where this is not the case is in a VW mkIV. The GTI models eg have what ppl think are front fog lamps built into the main headlamp unit. These are in fact - Driving lights and not meant for driving in fog/mist. They are purely to put more light on the road without causing glare to oncoming road users. It's all in a MOT rule book somewhere i read.

If you are driving in dense fog where visibility is less than, say 15m then it is advisable to switch off your main beam headlights and just drive on front and rear fogs. This means less glare which is less tiring on your eyes. If the visibility is that bad then you won't be driving more than about 25-30mph anyway. You can get quite bad glare even on headlights which is why i often switch them off. Helps enormously because your not straining your eyes to see where your going :)