PDA

View Full Version : removing standard grille

scooter
Monday 4th January 2010, 21:39
hi guys and gals does anybody know the procedure to removing the grille from the bumper

t5 stealth
Monday 4th January 2010, 21:43
i think if you look between the slats there is small tags you push with a small screwdriver...then the grill pulls out...iirc.
im sure someone will correct me if im wrong lol.

chrisRSVR
Monday 4th January 2010, 23:03
Yeah thats 100%,

T5rookie
Wednesday 4th August 2010, 23:28
Sorry to dig the thread up again but I was in the middle of trying to do this.....

I got the 3 on the bottom of the grille loose but it still seemed to be stuck....When looking for any clips on the upper side I couldn't find/feel any??!

How many clips hold it in, in total?

Cheers
Alex

t5 stealth
Thursday 5th August 2010, 00:01
i cant remember,i think its only 3 on top.
you will see them between the slats if you look close,obviously there will be 1 at each end but cant remember if its 1 in middle or 2....sorry

RobbieH
Thursday 5th August 2010, 09:09
Easy enough.

Open bonnet
Push the centres of the six pop rivet thingies that secure the front bumper skin to the slam panel
Use a screw driver or similar impliment to ease off the bottom three clips of the clips (look along the bottom edge of the grille and you can see them) and pull the bottom of the grille away from the bumper skin
Ease the top of the bumper skin away from the slam panel enough to get your fingers inside the space and undo the 4 clips along the top edge of the grille.
Pop the whole thing out.

HTH

Edit: be careful when you've removed the grille. The design of the four upper clips is piss poor and it's easy to snap them off. I did it with one but thankfully my trusty glue gun came to the rescue.

thebadger
Thursday 5th August 2010, 15:59
Damaging the bumper is easy too... don't pull too hard on it when trying to get access.

The official line is to remove the top of the bumper before you start & release the top of the grill then put your hand in the gap you've made by releasing the top to get at the clips on the bottom.

Remember to level the grill out as you pull it out or you will snap a clip catch as Robbie did.

My car (when I got it) had all the bottom 4 clips missing off the grill & bathroom cauking holding it in place. :(

Suffice to say that the shiny new grill was fitted without resorting to caukin, glue or any other oddball building products.

P.s. cauking is not fun to remove. :(