PDA

View Full Version : 2004 S60 boot closing

skye
Monday 4th January 2010, 19:47
My 2004 s60 has suddenly decided that the boot doesnt want to close.Lock seems to move freely , but it doesnt lock with the key fob or manually with the key.
Any help appreciated - I have checked the fuse.

skye
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 19:25
Anyone ?

Baj
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 01:49
I'd love to say yeah, but no. No idea.

Is it just bouncing open?
Is the mechanism greased or stiff?

skye
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 20:53
Mechanism is free.No usual click sound when you open it manually at boot.Doesnt bounce open , just never locks when you push it down , just sits there ?

Baj
Thursday 7th January 2010, 11:43
Can we clarify: Does it close and latch properly but not lock or does it close but not actually latch (so you can just lift it open again)?

Vikingxl
Thursday 7th January 2010, 18:39
Have you tried locking/unlocking it while its open??

Storm-Troll
Thursday 7th January 2010, 19:32
Try lying in the boot and closing it.. see if that works.. then u might be able to see the mechanism and see whats wrong lol.....:hilarious

skye
Thursday 7th January 2010, 19:36
Can we clarify: Does it close and latch properly but not lock or does it close but not actually latch (so you can just lift it open again)?

Closes but does not latch.

Storm-Troll
Thursday 7th January 2010, 20:16
does sound like the mechanism is jammed somehow.

Baj
Friday 8th January 2010, 12:57
You could try closing the mechanism using the barrel of a screwdriver while the boot is open to see if it actually moves. You will need to just push the latch to close it and will need the key/remote to open it again (plus a bit of pulling).
This could leave you with a closed mechanism that doesnt open, of course but it would let you know if the mech works OK.

I problem I had once, on a different car was the mechanism sliding on its bolts so it didnt actually loop over the locking bar properly. Can be casued by slamming the boot with the mechanism already in the closed position or something trapped in the boot over the locking bar. Have you had a look to see if the mechanism has moved/can move?

skye
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 22:12
mechanism moves freely.When you press the "open" on the boot itself there is no noise.Car locks and unlocks on the remote , just not the boot ???

Baj
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 12:18
Odd. If it latched but not lock or open then I would suggest something elecrical.
If it doesnt even latch the only reason I can see is the second paragraph of my post above.

richiemat
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 12:22
Couldnt close my boot the other day when it snowed, open boot...click - boot full of snow from the rear window - superb

And now for the helpful part - have you thought about going to a dealer to get a diagnosis then possibly fixing it yourself?

S60-MBS
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 12:25
See if this helps

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21516

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 12:53
Well well, our 855s rear hatch stopped working, the thing locked closed while the door was open and wouldn't unlock. I have dropped it into our local garage to sort it out and they should be doing it today, fingers crossed.

I tried the screwdriver in it to free it up, it's like the retainer that goes around the loop has locked in the closed position and won't free up. And as it freezzzzing outside and there's more of the white stuff around, I'll let someone else to it in their nice warm garage.

skye
Friday 29th January 2010, 22:26
Thanks folks.
Dropped the mechanism out, took the cover off and heard something "springing" open.
Put back together and now works fine.