PDA

View Full Version : Renewed enthusiasm for my 97 T-5 estate

mas
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 14:32
I have to confess I havnt got to drive her much the last couple of years due to my daily commute and living in the countryside miles from shops it is all too easty to jump in to my boring to drive S60 D5.

She is not a show car or even enthusiast day trip car , has never had her wheels refurbed or even a polish. The speedy Swede as I affectionately call her is a now a daily drive for the very lucky Mrs Mas and is lucky to see a mechanic. She has 119,000 on the clock and passed the MOT yesterday with no advisories, yet a certain car clubs users suggested she wouod make good scrappage (n**bs) . Her only wash is with cheap Triplewax shampoo and if I ever mentioned using that on the other car forum I frequent I would be laughed off as they are mainly meguires or Autoglym types :pimp2:

I'm no boy racer (fine if thats your thing) and save any stupidly fast driving for the track but I have always appreciated a powerfull car that feels solid on the road and that she is and does, and you can go to a car meet with the kids and all the gear in tow !

My new hobby of Classic Porsche ownership has unwitingly made me re appreciate the T5 and I find myself looking for an excuse to drive her. Despite being an auto and an estate put her in sport mode and she is a pleasure to bomb down the A-10 in , or suprisingly even to punt along the country roads giving it a bit of welly between the bends. I am seriously wondering , if I did do Le Mans Classic as a trip would I have more fun going down there in the 944 Turbo than the T5 , in all honesty probably not and I'd certainly not be able to kip in the back part way.

http://www.kfds.org.uk/pics/t5.jpg

I took a couple of pics today just after giving her a wash with el cheepo shampoo to show anyone who might like to look at her. Bare in mind up close this car has marks and scratches but yes she is a really clean original work horse and to my mind the V70 estate is 'the' classically shaped, beautiful T5. I cant take any interior pics yet as that cleaning job is down to Mrs Mas and at the mo the interior looks like a car that has punted Mastiffs and kids round for 5 years because it has ! but the interior will be revitalised in the next few weeks. I hope someone appreciates why I had to have my rant and sing the praises of this car :P

Cheers Mas

TomS60
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 15:28
Fully appreciated sir! They were and always will be awesome cars!! And as for LeMans...we did a trip a couple of yrs back in my mates '98 V70 2.5 (Not a T5 granted) and it was the hero of the trip. Swallowed all the luggage, by no means sluggish and as you quite rightly said, a kip in the back...easy!!

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 18:46
Just goes to show why we own these cars, they might not be the most favoured, but they tick every box, and compared to owning other "quick" cars, they're easier to run and you can have just as much fun.

P.S. And the Olive Green is the best colour

Vikingxl
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 18:48
They are great looking cars and i do miss mine sometimes and was thinking of getting another but after driving a members v70 diesel the other week i am now staying away.

Vikingxl
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 18:49
Bomb you only like the green because you can leave it under the trees in the leisure center car park and the mould doesn't show lol

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 18:58
They are great looking cars and i do miss mine sometimes and was thinking of getting another but after driving a members v70 diesel the other week i am now staying away.
Come on, a diesel V70 isn't really a fair test drive (no offence intended to diesel owners)

Bomb you only like the green because you can leave it under the trees in the leisure center car park and the mould doesn't show lol
Shh, everyone will be wanting one. I haven't washed it for 3 months.

Mrsmastiffs
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 20:32
Yes but sadly the bird s**t does :s

As for diesels - well we not only own the T5 but an S60 D5 and tbh there is NO comparison :)