PDA

View Full Version : Geneva MotorShow 2010 + more...

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 00:20
****UPDATED 5th Jan 2010****

I'd decided that in 2010 I'd go to a motor show........then I found out that there isn't going to be one, so it got me thinking. Since there isn't a UK Motor show in 2010 I thought that I'd have to get a new idea, then I started to go off on a complete tangent......

The Geneva Motorshow has always been on my list of to do's so I thought that this year I'd attempt it. I started planning the travel through france and Switzerland and then my imagination started to get the better of me...

This is basically an open invitation to anyone who fancies a bit of a roadtrip....

How about:

Day 1 6th March 2010 300miles
Leave North Wales/Sheffield
Drive to Dover
Catch Ferry to Calias
Stop at Hotel

Day 2 7th March 2010 500miles
Drive to Geneva
Stop at Hotel

Day 3 8th March 2010 0 Miles
Visit Geneva Car show
Stop at hotel

Day 4 9th March 2010 300miles
Visit to CERN Hadron Collider....????
Drive to Modena incorporating Montblanc tunnel
Stop at Hotel

Day 5 10th March 2010 250miles
Ferrari/Lamboghini Factory Pilgramage
Drive to Stelvio area
Stop at hotel

Day 6 11th March 2010 300miles
Get up very early....
Drive Stelvio pass - Top Gears Favourite road
Drive Davos Road - Top Gears Second favourite road
Drive to Strasbourg/Alsace Area
Stop at hotel

Day 7 12th March 2010 300miles
Mini Meet JelT5....???
Musee Automobile in Mulhouse, Alsace France
Drive to IBA Lauvin-la-Neave - My Head office
Drive Nuringburgring
Stop at Hotel

Day 8 13th March 2010 300miles
Drive Nuringburgring then Catch ferry and home

I haven't totally worked out where I'm going to stay of in fact who my navigator is going to be, but It's a 2500mile round trip spread over 7days.....It'll cost a bit, but it should be worth it..

volvoturboman
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 03:05
That sounds like a laugh, I'd be up for a bit of that. If it does help you any though ferry to Calais is much much cheaper than euro tunnel. Only reason I know this is because I've a road trip coming very soon. My V70 is going to live in Benalmadina in the Costa Del Sol. I'm going from,

Londonderry to Dublin
Ferry to Hollyhead
Drive to Dover
Ferry to Calais
And then drive which according to AA routefinder, via Le Mans across the French spanish border and on to Malaga which is 20 mins from Benalmadina.

This was the cheapest way to do this journey, I priced various ways and the Euro Tunnel was one of them. I even thought of a ferry direct to Spain but to get to Santander (north Spain) it was £898 with Brittaney ferries. £25 ferry journey from Dover to Calais.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 03:23
Living on Anglesey for years and having plenty of mates working for Stena I regularly went on the ferries... I was thinking of the chunnel as a change as I've never been on it...

I'm going to try and arrange some Training at my head office in Belgium so I can get some of the trip paid for.....

mas
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 10:56
I have to say a road trip has been on my wish list for a few months now , and I mean seriously on it. Another car forum I frequent
(another make of car) has two road trips to Le Mans this year , one for the 24 hour and one for the Classic ( my preferred one) , one of those I would seriously consider especially camping on the circuit with the sites own
'private' corner bank.

Sadly my other car being a small sports car won't take the missus and two small kids on a such a trip trip and I think a drive to Le Mans on my tod would be a bit ridiculous. Had I been able to convince someone I know to go on the Le Mans I would have jumped at it.

You should defo do your road trip , I'm sure you will have no regrets whatsoever. I hope you will keep a detailed blog of it so we can drool over it too !

Regards Mas

fast-t5
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 14:42
have you guys been on the 'twothumbsup' web site these boys are into volvos and many other makes on there site but they do a very well organised trip exactly like this with all hotels ferrys etc priced although its your choice on where you stay or arrange your own digs etc but they post where there staying and prices then its your call, maybe worth a look

Babybadger
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 16:06
I'd decided that in 2010 I'd go to a motor show........then I found out that there isn't going to be one, so it got me thinking. Since there isn't a UK Motor show in 2010 I thought that I'd have to get a new idea, then I started to go off on a complete tangent......

The Geneva Motorshow has always been on my list of to do's so I thought that this year I'd attempt it. I started planning the travel through france and Switzerland and then my imagination started to get the better of me...

This is basically an open invitation to anyone who fancies a bit of a roadtrip....
How about:
Sheffield to Ashford
Eurotunnel to Calais
Calais to Geneva
Geneva to Modena
Modena to Stelvio Pass (Ref Top Gears Best Road)
Detour down the Dovos Road (ref Top Gears second best road)
Back up to Nuringburgring
Then home......

I haven't totally worked out where I'm going to stay of in fact who my navigator is going to be, but It's a 2500mile round trip spread over 7days.....It'll cost a bit, but it should be worth it..

I will check with my mate if there is one or not, I go every year.....and press day as well....

JUDGENINJA
Monday 4th January 2010, 02:43
have you guys been on the 'twothumbsup' web site these boys are into volvos and many other makes on there site but they do a very well organised trip exactly like this with all hotels ferrys etc priced although its your choice on where you stay or arrange your own digs etc but they post where there staying and prices then its your call, maybe worth a look

Have you got a link...??? All I get is thumbs up kid painting websites

JUDGENINJA
Monday 4th January 2010, 02:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7952701.stm

Definately off.....

I will check with my mate if there is one or not, I go every year.....and press day as well....

siamblue
Monday 4th January 2010, 04:49
Another place you should add is the Musee Automobile in Mulhouse, Alsace France, it has the largest collection of Bugattis in the world plus lots of other old cars, it used to be a couple of brothers personal collection would you believe it lol,

Gary

JUDGENINJA
Monday 4th January 2010, 05:57
Another place you should add is the Musee Automobile in Mulhouse, Alsace France, it has the largest collection of Bugattis in the world plus lots of other old cars, it used to be a couple of brothers personal collection would you believe it lol,

Gary

mmm sounds interesting I was looking st stopping around strasburg, so that could be my detour...
thanks

JelT5
Monday 4th January 2010, 19:53
mmm sounds interesting I was looking st stopping around strasburg, so that could be my detour...
thanks

I'm not far from Strasbourg so we could have a mini meet if you like?!

The museum is breathtaking- definitely worth a detour!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th January 2010, 21:09
If the timing was right - when are you planning this? The show is Mid-March.

Slomo
Monday 4th January 2010, 21:44
www.2thumbs-up.com

our road trip is in May and includes Stelvio, Reims, Swiss Tuning Show in Geneva and a few others :)

Some very good roads planned

Slomo

volvoturboman
Monday 4th January 2010, 22:49
Hey its good idea mate and if the spare funds are available and you have a spare seat I'm up for it. In saying that though I have a big one as I said that has to be made and thats looking like Feburary. If there are enough people up for going aybe we could get a couple of motors going. Like your idea of getting the boss to pay for some lol.

fast-t5
Monday 4th January 2010, 23:36
slomo thought you was a member i tried but had lost the link sorry mate hope your well

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 00:37
JELT5 - Sounds like a plan...

Wobbley/Slomo - Geneva Motor show is 4th ro 14th March, so that's my target date. The Swiss show also sounds really good, but my missus would probably kill me if I tried to arrange two trips as this is going to be my first long distance european road trip.... What's going on in Reims???

Volvoturboman - There probably is a spare seat to go if you're interested, but I haven't booked anything at all yet..... I'm the type of person who make's it up as you go along..... if you can cope with that..

I suppose I should pick some dates.... I'll update the first post....

Chad
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 01:05
im very interested judge......

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 01:20
im very interested judge......

Cool.... need to start finding hotels....

Plodmonkey
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 20:19
any ideas on how much this would cost in total around the £1000 mark or more cos i think i might start saving like

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 6th January 2010, 00:07
I'm bugeting approximately 1000-1200 to to everything, but I will have C-card to cover enexpected costs. This does not include the servicing,toll, food etc...

If I get a navigator and people don't mind sharing rooms then it wil work out cheaper..

Estimated Costs :

Petrol = 2500miles (350/tank) £60/tank £400 (V40 T4)

Return ticket Ferry = £50-70
Hotel Calais £65.00 one night
Hotel Geneva £120 two nights
Car show £10
CERN FREE
Hotel Modena £100 one night
Ferrari Pilprimage FREE
Hotel Stelvio area £100 one night
Hotel Strasburg £60.00 one night
Hotel Nuringburg Area £100.00 one night
Ring run £50
Total = £1100

Some of you more educated travellers may be able to correct may un-educated costs if they are too optimistic...

JUDGENINJA
Friday 8th January 2010, 00:40
Just had a response from CERN that I could visit the above ground research areas with up to 8 people.... It's a bit of a nerdy place to go, but I'd still like to see it....

JUDGENINJA
Friday 8th January 2010, 01:11
any ideas on how much this would cost in total around the £1000 mark or more cos i think i might start saving like

Are you thinking of coming.....???

I've had a few other people indicate their interest as drivers and passengers, we could have a good convoy going at this rate...

mas
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 18:25
Immediately , the petrol costing springs to mind. How many MPG does your car 'really' do on a hoot. I think £600 not 400 TBH :P but who cares get 4 in your car and awaaaay. Then of course some of those european spots you are going to , food and drink are not cheep. In the evening you won't want to be living on cheese and pickle. On a serious note just think of a budget
( as you have) double it and take your credit cards :beer:

You'd just 'have' to blog each day wouldnt you, add some words and pics to the forum every lunchtime to really rub the noses of folk who arent on the road trip ( probably me drooling over the pics) that would be a hoot :hilarious

Al115
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:05
Sounds awesome :D Quite tempted to join you...

I go to Le Mans every year, camping in the big field :) However the only car club I know with a private corner at Le Mans are the Porsche lot, and I always stay well away :D :D :D

mas
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 19:41
I have to ask because I'm certainly not ashamed of my love for Porsche cars , WHY have you stayed well away from Porsche folk. Are you referring to Porsche folk full stop or to P.C.G.B specifically?. I'm genuinely interested why you feel the desire to " stay well away" and am wondering if this would then include myself. It doesnt bother me, it just seems a strange thing to say when folk here in general seem so sociable.

I take it you go to the 24 hour not the classic , I'd love to do either TBH

Regards Mas

Al115
Tuesday 12th January 2010, 21:43
Hey, yep it's the 24h I go to (though I'm not averse to a bit of classic metal - I went to the Monaco Classic GP one year and that was simply fantastic!)

My ignorant anti-Porsche Club prejudice (which is all it is) is simply that I find the "Porsche corner" at LM to be rather elitist, when it could be much more open and welcoming. Porsches are wonderful cars with a fantastic sporting heritage, and it would be really nice if they used the Le Mans event to share that with the general public, rather than creating a "Porsche owners only" feel. I have no clue if the individuals are nice people or not, so please don't take it as a personal slight! :)

Hope that makes some sense.

Slomo
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 08:39
some of the 2thumbs up crew are also looking going to the la mans 24h this year, could get a nice convoy/group going? joint trip?

mas
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 09:35
Dont worry , I havn't taken it personally , the reason I asked is that its a very commonly held view of Porsche Club GB folk though I'm not saying if its right or wrong as i know some very nice ones. It would be nice if folk were aware of us TIPEC folk ( the other club). TIPEC was originally created for 924 / 944 then 968 folk and is still dominated by them today thus very all inclusive and not at all snobby

I know TIPEC camp on circuit at LE Mans Classic and as soon as I can convince someone I know in the real world to go to Le Mans with me I'll be going too.

Cheers Mas

Owner of a cheep non snobby but very well made V70 T5 estate +
a cheep non snobby but very well made 944 Turbo ! :eclipsee_

cookie
Wednesday 13th January 2010, 11:04
Nurburgring haven't released public dates/times for March yet AFAIK

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events-dates-nuerburgring.html

Petrol equates to about £1.25 a litre in most of Euro land ATM, 2+luggage (tools spare wheels etc) in T5 to Nurburgring averaged 27MPG sensible driving, and about 12MPG on ring (about £5-6 petrol per lap) and need to consider food, Kebab or 3 course dining

JUDGENINJA
Friday 15th January 2010, 18:44
Immediately , the petrol costing springs to mind. How many MPG does your car 'really' do on a hoot.......

The T4 could hit up to 35 MPG on a run...... but yeah I could use quite a bit more fuel if I hit the Autobahns etc.

Any way it now could be extrended slightly as I may to be in Croatia for the two weeks before the trip... So I could be starting from there.... but at least my company would be paying most of the travelling expenses...

Slomo
Friday 15th January 2010, 23:55
I have always found that the further east you go, the better the petrol... Less additives :)

Austra and chechslovakia is the best. Shell do either 100 or 102 Super plus octane :) Cheaper as well

Slomo

JUDGENINJA
Friday 29th January 2010, 18:03
:frown:.....POSTPONED.....:frown:

Due to some pressing issues I'm postponing this trip.... shame was really looking forwards to it, but it does mean that I can get on with some other projects...;)

Slomo
Saturday 30th January 2010, 10:52
sorry to hear that.