PDA

View Full Version : boot struts

linkin582
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 21:22
iv had enough of being lumped on the head with my boot lid !!! my gas struts are knackerd .i wanted to know if anyone has changed them and how hard it was !! does the roof lining have to come out or not ????
cheers guys !!!

Volvostorm
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 21:34
Have a look at this:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8626

5seaterT5x2
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 21:52
iv had enough of being lumped on the head with my boot lid !!! my gas struts are knackerd .i wanted to know if anyone has changed them and how hard it was !! does the roof lining have to come out or not ????
cheers guys !!!

not a hard job,couple of pannels have to come out, the one across the back of the roof then small one either side fairly simple to remove struts do the pair ubder an hour easy

TenaciousC
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 12:08
just done mine this morning. Refreshingly straightforward. If you don't have assistance - a telescopic walking pole can also be used to hold the lid open OR you can lie on your back in the boot and hold the lid open with your feet whilst changing the strut!. With out the struts the lid becomes VERY HEAVY so be careful.

I used this thread to help me:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19501

Cheers

C

cameron
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 17:03
Cheers for the links guys, i need to do mine after receiving a lovely bruise at the bottom of my back the other day after the car tried to eat me whilst i raised the 7 seat conversion :grumpy:

On a lighter note is it worth getting used struts or are they fairly inexpensive ?

I still have my Head Gasket and Cambelt to do, so theres £500 knicker i could have used for something else well gone down the pan :cry:

pookie
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 19:30
Lee
Try Andrew Page or Eurothingy for struts-they both do them.

Pookie

linkin582
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 19:37
cheers guy for all the info i needed. will be getting some in the morning !!!!!

Flatout Phil
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 19:40
By the time the weather is warm enough to do this job, my pistons have always recovered! Maybe I should actually do something about it this year!

Bob France
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 21:05
Just done mine,got the struts from volvopartsonline 40:00 quid delivered,1 hour to do[thanks to the help I got on here]

Pliskin
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 23:22
By the time the weather is warm enough to do this job, my pistons have always recovered! Maybe I should actually do something about it this year!

I took my 854 out today and after getting my walking boots out of the boot the boot lid took ages to open. I initially thought it was the weight of snow but soon discounted that .

I was eventually able to open the boot but when I came to close it I found that the nearside one had become detached from the "bracket" inside the car as opposed to the boot lid itself.

I tried to reconnect it but with the light fading I decided to leave it till tomorrow.

It has never happened before and I would welcome any advice.

Cheers.