PDA

View Full Version : distributor cap

850 t5 vs 600cc
Thursday 31st December 2009, 17:38
After taking delivery of my poly top mount and front strut this morning and then fitting it, i realised that the distributor cap was getting a bit worn.
Should i get a direct replacment or is there something better out there i can (waste) spend my nearly hard earned money on.

And a happy new year to all those who read this messgae, and if not then happy new year anyway.

leet5r
Thursday 31st December 2009, 17:42
After taking delivery of my poly top mount and front strut this morning and then fitting it, i realised that the distributor cap was getting a bit worn.
Should i get a direct replacment or is there something better out there i can (waste) spend my nearly hard earned money on.

And a happy new year to all those who read this messgae, and if not then happy new year anyway.

my m8 has a msd coil on his t5 but am not sure about the cap like

abdul
Thursday 31st December 2009, 18:27
go for original from stealers

phil_woods
Thursday 31st December 2009, 19:27
I heard somewhere that you can get a clear one that allows you to see the spark, meant to look the nuts at night. I dont know if it would give the same performance though. Just a thought...

p fandango
Thursday 31st December 2009, 19:30
I heard somewhere that you can get a clear one that allows you to see the spark, meant to look the nuts at night. I dont know if it would give the same performance though. Just a thought...
my bro has had them for several of his VW's but i've never seen a 5cylinder one for a Volvo

timbo_1975
Friday 1st January 2010, 01:40
Get the stock one from Rufe with matching rotor arm and replace the two together.

If you still have the black plastic cover, my advice is not to replace that on the new cap, as they can sweat and cause misfiring.

RollingThunder
Thursday 7th January 2010, 12:55
I'd second the recommendation to get Bosch in this instance.

I got a cheaper copy from GSF and suffer from an intermittent misfire every now and then which I reckon is due to the cap. The black cover is useful in that it has the cylinder numbers marked on it - handy if you're changing HT leads... mentioning which, I also fitted Bosch HT leads rather than Bougicourd - another decision that I'm reconsidering.

Get OEM for all ignition components...