PDA

View Full Version : Instant performance gain!

ChrisMClark
Thursday 31st December 2009, 11:55
All I did was remove the mat in the drivers footwell. Turns out the mat was restricting the throttle pedal. How dumb do I feel? Very! :bang:

cameron
Thursday 31st December 2009, 11:58
LOL Quality mate :doh:

The cold is the best mod i had this year and best of all it was free :D

ChrisMClark
Thursday 31st December 2009, 12:33
I've done some stupid things car wise:
*Forgot to tighten wheel studs following caliper painting: Lost all but one bolt in the middle of nowhere.
*Drove through a flood with an air intake 6" on the ground and no splash guard (COD of my last car).
*Forgot to reconnect battery following some electrical work and spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start.
*Taking the front end of my Stilo off (easiest way to change headlight bulbs) just to find out I'd forgotten to buy the new headlight bulbs. I lived 10 miles from the nearest factor in the middle of nowhere. I had to reassemble the car, drive out for the new bulbs, then start all over again.

But the car mat beats that lot :lol:

cameron
Thursday 31st December 2009, 12:36
Some quality ££££ ups there buddy :D

Almost as good as me when i changed the gear selector on mine ( center console out job ) and forgot to reconnect the rod through the cable that goes to the gearbox.

And im sat there for 10 minutes wondering why the car wont engage gears :doh:

Same as you mate, strip it all out again to sort it out :grumpy:

ChrisMClark
Thursday 31st December 2009, 12:39
lmao, now that's quality! I haven't dared do anything quite that big on a car yet, but I've got plans for my 850...once I've sorted all the niggles out, and fixed a truly woeful paint repair (previous owner bought a cheap tin of no-name 'Volvo Red' paint, not Ruby Red as it should be. He did one HEAVY coat from what seemed to be about an inch away. It looks pap, it's embarrassing!

cameron
Thursday 31st December 2009, 12:43
I have the same problem with paint on mine :grumpy:

Previous owner has painted the rear spolier but its a crap job, its slightly darker as well, not that you'd notice unless you stared at the car which tbh a lot of people do ;)

Its needs completely rubbing back and spraying properly, a job for Craig ( tomcat ) in the new year.

Tomcat
Thursday 31st December 2009, 13:12
I'm here when you want me Lee..

cameron
Thursday 31st December 2009, 13:43
Cheers Buddy :D

phil_woods
Thursday 31st December 2009, 15:10
Well I have a ££££ up that I did today! Could be the ££££ up of the year on the last day of the year.
Today I spent all day on my Motor doing various bits and bobs including checking the oil cap for White sludge (just in case). So I finished everything then drove to my dads to get my valeting kit. Came back popped the bonnet and the whole engine bay was covered in oil. I thought I had popped the motor or something then I noticed the oil cap still on the scuttle panel!! I was relieved but I then had to spend an hour cleaning and topping up the oil. I am such a plank at times!

p fandango
Thursday 31st December 2009, 15:23
Well I have a ££££ up that I did today! Could be the ££££ up of the year on the last day of the year.
Today I spent all day on my Motor doing various bits and bobs including checking the oil cap for White sludge (just in case). So I finished everything then drove to my dads to get my valeting kit. Came back popped the bonnet and the whole engine bay was covered in oil. I thought I had popped the motor or something then I noticed the oil cap still on the scuttle panel!! I was relieved but I then had to spend an hour cleaning and topping up the oil. I am such a plank at times!
been there done that, but on the cheesewedge's (480's) they've got sponge sound deadening on the bonnet. So when you pop your head under to see whats gone on all the oil drips down the back of your neck lol

phil_woods
Thursday 31st December 2009, 15:31
been there done that, but on the cheesewedge's (480's) they've got sponge sound deadening on the bonnet. So when you pop your head under to see whats gone on all the oil drips down the back of your neck lol

I have since removed the sound deadening from under my bonet, it made sense as I thought I would hear the engine better and warm the washer jets quicker. Oh and save weight too!

p fandango
Thursday 31st December 2009, 15:36
Oh and save weight too!
good man :beer:

cameron
Friday 1st January 2010, 01:42
Oi Pedro it didnt involve an anle grinder :doh:

Unless he was reeeaaalllyyyy desperate :B_thumb:

p fandango
Friday 1st January 2010, 09:08
ah, but the throwing of items into the bin comes in a close second place to cutting it up mate. Ideally he'd of removed the insulation, then set about it with a chainsaw before throwing it in the recycle bin lol

cameron
Friday 1st January 2010, 17:49
I removed my sound deadening as well but ive since put it back, the bonnet rattled like mad without it :grumpy:

Maybe a bit of adjusting needs doing to it to stop it rattling.

gmain1967
Friday 1st January 2010, 18:03
All I did was remove the mat in the drivers footwell. Turns out the mat was restricting the throttle pedal. How dumb do I feel? Very! :bang:

Ha! Been there - more often than most so I'm used to it now. Being the wrong side of 6' (by all of 7") and with most of the height missing in the leg department, I need to slide the seat forward quite a bit...

And in most cars I have owned/driven, even manufacturers' fitted mats, don't necessarily allow you to do that without catching the rear of the mat and pulling it forward and under the accelerator.... DOH!!!

Bob France
Friday 1st January 2010, 21:42
Working on a my old mark 2 cortina savage once,I took out the broken diff [teeth gone] and then proceeded to put it back in again, instead of the new one,how to waste a few hours on a cold floor in the middle of winter :lesson 1

gmain1967
Friday 1st January 2010, 22:03
Guilty again....

Did a gearbox in a Talbot Sunbeam due to the usual lost synchro on second gear, and then discovered I had refitted the box I had taken out...

Luckily it was such a common occurence to replace that it was down to a fine art and could be done start to finish in about half an hour, including adjusting the clutch. God I miss those days sometimes!

Should start a thread on most stupid mistake when working on a car...