PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

roryscott30
Thursday 31st December 2009, 02:15
Seasons greetings,

i thought i would write a note which may be of benefit but i'm sure most already know.
I had been experiencing erratic idling recently and it came to a head as the car died in a fuel station (they do spend alot of time there i know). The AA was called and the car was taken to my house, with a vague diagnosis of "could be fuel". I checked the wiring at the radiator and there was a very thin corroded wire which i sorted and the car started. The car then ran for a day and it gave up at home luckily and i decided to get a replacment second hand fuel pump. When i checked the new one on a battery it worked but i found no power at the fuel pump connection at the tank. I returned the fuel pump and opted for replacing the fuel pump relay. When i changed the relay and checked the power again at the tank again no power. As i have no volt meter i used a light bulb and discovered that the power goes to the pump for 3 seconds in prime mode then goes off. This was how long it would take me to switch on the ignition and climb into the boot to check the voltage only to discover no power.
Needless to say relays were fine and the fuel pump was indeed knackered and i had to go back again and buy the returned pump! Again a tell tale sign would've been the old fuel pump noise as the replaced one is silent. A gentle hit with a sledge hammer wll start it off again but with an unknown time limit.
As i mentioned before most people will read and look upwards and say "di*k" but it may help the inexperienced, skint and desperate owner.
I wish you all a happy New Year.

Volvostorm
Friday 1st January 2010, 01:24
That's just what mine did when its pump died. A new second hand one works a treat! ;)