PDA

View Full Version : Reduced Guard / Deadlock Deactivator

princepugh
Tuesday 29th December 2009, 20:14
The above button on my 2001 Phase II V70 T5 does not appear to working, neither is the light on the switch - can't see that there's any specific fuse for this function either.

Intend to take the climate panel out tomorrow and investigate - anybody had a similar issue/ any advice?

BTW - the car is otherwise locking, alarming and deadlocking fine.

TIA

David

Baj
Tuesday 29th December 2009, 21:20
Try several variants of ignition on/off with switch pressing.

iirc last time I used it it was ignition on, ignition off, press button.
It will tell you on the dash display when it fires up.

Taking out the climate panel will not help. The switches have a surround plate which will pop off with some persuasion without having to remove climate panel but all you will find is a swich that connects onto a PCB

princepugh
Tuesday 29th December 2009, 21:37
Cheers, Baj - there's actually no illumination around the switch as there is on STC etc. which makes me suspicious. Will take a butchers in the light tomorrow.

Taking out the climate panel will not help. The switches have a surround plate which will pop off with some persuasion without having to remove climate panel but all you will find is a swich that connects onto a PCB

Storm-Troll
Wednesday 30th December 2009, 02:05
the button should light up in the middle on the sensor symbol.. when i did my LEDs it lit up as the original bulb had blown... i find after running the engine... turn the key back stop by stop till the engine stops. then push and hold the button a second or two and it will light up and the message centre will give u the message reduced guard.... then take key out... once u start engine again. it cancels it and returns to full guard... to get button out. slip somethin in the side of the plastic cover that covers over all the buttons... i used a tiny flat head sonic screw driver lol... stick it in at the right hand side about 3 o clock position then put finger in and gently pull and whole cover will pop off.. then pull out button BUT DO NOT TURN ON IGNITION WITH BUTTON OUT...!!!!! I did. and then got an air bag error code come up on the dash and the fault wouldnt go away until i had the code read and deleted.... once pushed button back in.... its ok to turn on ignition...... here endeth the lesson....lol

princepugh
Thursday 31st December 2009, 10:51
OK, for reference I found it easier to remove the climate panel from the centre console in order to unclip the climate facia allowing easy removal of the switch panel surround, freeing up access to the switches which can be pulled straight out as Baj and Storm-Troll noted.

I jetted the switch out in electrical cleaning spray and left it to dry out overnight and touch wood it seems to be working this morning, although I still need to replace the miniature push and turn illumination bulb in the back of the switch.

Happy New Year to all! :-)

thebadger
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 20:31
EEEEHHHH-EHHHH!

Key in position I or II.

Press the button.

It will now work!

princepugh
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 21:36
EEEEHHHH-EHHHH!

Key in position I or II.

Press the button.

It will now work!

No - the switch was dicky, working fine now though.

thebadger
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 21:51
I replaced the bulb unit in the DSTC button foran LED.

They seem to be very basic switch units.

The half guard system button on my car has seen less action than Cliff Richard.

Was there muck/dirt on the contacts? If so it may be a condensation issue & you need to de-humidify your car a bit. My aunts old car had a big issue with damp in the car which caused some of the electrical switches to smoke when you used them! Not likley in a Volvo, but damp ruins everything it gets to.

princepugh
Saturday 2nd January 2010, 23:06
Yeah - I'm in the process of mating an LED up to the push and turn housing for the back-lighter, hope to have that sorted tomorrow.

No obvious sign of dirt in or around the switch but as you say, I hadn't used it in ages - just sods law I needed to use it that time and realised it was bust!

I'm a bit obsessive about keeping the car dry inside, lol, first sign of mist and the A/C goes on so fingers crossed in that dept.

Cheers

princepugh
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 09:51
Sorted, 3mm 12v LED with resistor. I'll go for white next time though ;-)

thebadger
Tuesday 5th January 2010, 13:43
I chose UV purple... very distinctive.