PDA

View Full Version : ABS fault codes

ChrisMClark
Monday 28th December 2009, 16:20
I'm having the common intermittent ABS light problem that's becoming more frequent. I've read the fault codes today (I'm still amazed how easy the 2 boxes under the bonnet make it) and come up with the following:

3-1-4: Right rear wheel sensor, open or short circuit
3-2-4: Right rear wheel sensor, intermittent disturbance at speeds greater than 25mph
1-2-4: Right rear wheel sensor, circuit fault at less speeds less than 25mph

Now, correct me if I'm wrong....but I think the sensor in the rear right wheel needs replacing lol. Anything else it could be?

PS: Sick of my questions yet?

Bob France
Monday 28th December 2009, 17:52
Could it be the rear wheel sensor?
They never get sick of questions on here mate,you should see some of the things people ask,it's almost guaranteed you'll get a reply of some sort!!!

ChrisMClark
Monday 28th December 2009, 17:54
Cool. I think it's the wheel sensor, but I wouldn't know how to check. With three fault codes all pointing to the one component I think it's a safe bet.

p fandango
Monday 28th December 2009, 17:59
doesn't the common ABS ECU soldering fault disguise itself as the right rear wheel sensor?

Chad
Monday 28th December 2009, 18:09
doesn't the common ABS ECU soldering fault disguise itself as the right rear wheel sensor?

it does indeed.......

Volvostorm
Monday 28th December 2009, 19:18
But, isn't that on the later ABS system?

I understood than if you had the box and fly wire under bonnet it was a early car. (Or am I mistaken?)

ChrisMClark
Monday 28th December 2009, 19:21
If it helps my ABS ECU is to the left of the gubbins rather than under it.

Volvostorm
Monday 28th December 2009, 19:28
Same as mine, its a 1995

Mine had a fault, was saying it was a sensor on the N/S/F, it was the wire going to the sensor had snapped, soldered it back together, working ABS :D

ChrisMClark
Monday 28th December 2009, 20:37
OK, I'll check it out tomorrow. What am I looking for? I've no idea what an ABS sensor looks like!

Volvostorm
Monday 28th December 2009, 20:48
Take the wheel off, you should be able to see the ABS wire running to the hub/brake disc, at the end off the wire is the sensor.

I can't be more detailed, as I'm doing it front memory

ChrisMClark
Monday 28th December 2009, 20:55
Fair one, it's enough for me to start with at least, so thanks for that!