PDA

View Full Version : Help...hesitation when cold

chrjen
Thursday 24th December 2009, 15:03
I have a mint 1996 850R which is remapped and of course drives lovely.

I do have one problem though.

When starting it up and driving when it is cold, it hesitates and acts kind of lumpy. When the car is warmed up it is like a rocket and of course nothing is wrong.

Colud it be the coolant temp sensor ???

If so how can I test whether this is the faulty part - is the sensor a resistant or voltage unit ??

chrjen
Sunday 27th December 2009, 07:53
Anyone..?

Rnash2002
Sunday 27th December 2009, 10:38
Have you any fault codes come up?

Hunter
Sunday 27th December 2009, 10:44
I have a mint 1996 850R which is remapped and of course drives lovely.

I do have one problem though.

When starting it up and driving when it is cold, it hesitates and acts kind of lumpy. When the car is warmed up it is like a rocket and of course nothing is wrong.

Colud it be the coolant temp sensor ???

If so how can I test whether this is the faulty part - is the sensor a resistant or voltage unit ??

Check the plug gaps? I'm assuming you haven't any signs of head gasket failure that's fouling the plugs until burnt off.

timbo_1975
Sunday 27th December 2009, 11:12
How is the cold start? Does she fire up nice and clean? If so, then probably not the CTS, but I would check the voltage at key on and during warm up nevertheless. On pin 2 and earth look for about 1v when cold rising up to ~4v when hot. You are looking for a nice progressive rise, and no glitches.

Otherwise fouled injectors will cause poor running during warm up also.

chrjen
Monday 28th December 2009, 21:26
Thanks for the replies.
No codes are thrown.
Yes, she starts up fine when cold - but what is ment by pin 2 timbo??

chrjen
Thursday 31st December 2009, 10:57
By the way, i noticed this morning that the idle was rock steady at 1000 rpm - in minus 10 dgr. celcius. The idle is the same when the engine is hot....
Does this sound right or..?

timbo_1975
Thursday 31st December 2009, 11:15
CTS has 3 pins. 5v, 0v and signal.