PDA

View Full Version : mbc

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 19:49
hey i have just got my mbc today but it doesnt have instructions has any 1 got any pics of the best place to put it and and what pipes to fit it to? thank u rob

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:01
the easiest thing to do is use the 3 pipes off the BCS, its bolted to the side of the airbox

the inlet for the MBC needs to go to the pipe which goes to the pressure side of the turbo, it connects to the turbo around the inlet pipe from the air filter

the outlet from the MBC needs to go to the actuator, this pipe goes to the turbo but disappears behind the heat shield so you won't see where it connects

the remaining pipe off the BCS needs to be blocked, it should go to the air inlet pipe just after the MAF sensor

you'll need to leave the BCS wired in so the ECU doesn't throw a fault code, but you shouldn't have any pipes connected to it now

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:14
ok iv got a in and a out on the valve and i have a little block what will have 3 pipes on it wot has an arrow on one wot says to actuator???

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:18
but i did get a gauge with it but that is in a diffrent box what isnt open yet but wot the little block b for this?

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:18
ok iv got a in and a out on the valve and i have a little block what will have 3 pipes on it wot has an arrow on one wot says to actuator???
have you got any pictures, because a normal MBC should be a simple valve with 2 connections on it. Sounds to me like you've got a complicated sort of bleed valve

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:25
ok just unrapped the gauge its got its own stuff with it
but one the little block with the mbc one of the pipe connetors is blocked

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:28
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOST-GAUGE-BAR-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-SAAB-VOLVO-T5_W0QQitemZ260526767371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca89afd0b u can see all the parts on there i think i dont need it tho

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:35
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOST-GAUGE-BAR-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-SAAB-VOLVO-T5_W0QQitemZ260526767371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca89afd0b u can see all the parts on there i think i dont need it tho
not quite sure, but think its simply a T-piece & a bleed valve so you can adjust how much air you leak out of the system to raise the boost. I'd email the seller & see if they've got any instructions to confirm how its fitted & how it works. TBH if it is a bleed valve i try & sell it on & get a proper MBC, some sellers class bleed valves as MBC because technically it is manually controlling the boost

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:46
wot is a bleed valve?
wot is a mbc?
r they diffrent?

PaulZX
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:51
an mbc is, essentialy, a bleed valve...

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:55
so if i just connect up the controler and just ££££ the t peice out the window

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 20:56
wot is a bleed valve?
wot is a mbc?
r they diffrent?
a bleed valve is a controlable air leak, it syphons air out of the actuator line so there is less pressure getting to it & raises the boost. Normally used inline with the standard BCS to give the charactoristics of standard but with a higher boost level

a MBC is a pressure release valve, a ball bearing blocks the vac line to the actuator. A spring with a tensioning screws holds the bearing in place to stop the air passing opening the actuator. The more tension on the spring the more boost is required to move the bearing & open the actuator which raises the boost. As the bearing is blocking the air until it gets to the required level the actuator remains totally closed giving alot more of an aggressive drive

woking rob
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 21:05
if i turn it all the way on - boost i cant blow down the in on the valve if u open it it gets easyer and easyer and the t peice has a ball and spring in it

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 21:29
if i turn it all the way on - boost i cant blow down the in on the valve if u open it it gets easyer and easyer and the t peice has a ball and spring in it
i think there using a bleed valve to control the air & put tension on the ball bearing in the T-piece turning it into MBC, but i'm not sure where they take the vac pressure from to push against the bearing

does any of that make sense to you lol

woking rob
Thursday 24th December 2009, 19:29
the easiest thing to do is use the 3 pipes off the BCS, its bolted to the side of the airbox

the inlet for the MBC needs to go to the pipe which goes to the pressure side of the turbo, it connects to the turbo around the inlet pipe from the air filter

the outlet from the MBC needs to go to the actuator, this pipe goes to the turbo but disappears behind the heat shield so you won't see where it connects

the remaining pipe off the BCS needs to be blocked, it should go to the air inlet pipe just after the MAF sensor

you'll need to leave the BCS wired in so the ECU doesn't throw a fault code, but you shouldn't have any pipes connected to it now

so i need to disconect the pipes but keep it wired up is that wot u r saying?
and how much pressure is un the vac line on the inlet going into the mbv? coz i cant move the ball in the t peace by blowing or sucking it

claymore
Thursday 24th December 2009, 20:08
"T" piece into vac line to the turbo, then a pipe up to the controller with one of the outlets from the controller open to air (if that makes any sense)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P160201_27-06-09.jpg

p fandango
Thursday 24th December 2009, 23:16
so i need to disconect the pipes but keep it wired up is that wot u r saying?
yep, you need to keep the BCS wired in so the ECU thinks its doing something

and how much pressure is un the vac line on the inlet going into the mbv? coz i cant move the ball in the t peace by blowing or sucking it
well the most you'll be running is 13psi, thats whats considered safe on a standard ECU. I would get some instructions off the seller before you try plumbing it in mate, i've no experience of that one so not sure how its meant to go

p fandango
Thursday 24th December 2009, 23:18
"T" piece into vac line to the turbo, then a pipe up to the controller with one of the outlets from the controller open to air (if that makes any sense)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P160201_27-06-09.jpg
can't say i've ever heard of it being used like that, but i can see how it would work using a bleed valve to control an air leak from the actuator line.

woking rob
Friday 25th December 2009, 14:27
is that the same as mine is there a close up of that t piece? im gonna i just wanted to get it fitted

i have found the bs the top goes to the inlet middle dont go no where and isnt plugged into anything and bottom goes to the turbo so just pull off the top and put into the in of my bleed valve and take the bottom and put it into the out of my valve and put a nail in the mibble 1?

claymore
Friday 25th December 2009, 19:40
hang on till tomorrow, and I'll take some closups of it.

cameron
Friday 25th December 2009, 22:45
I had an MBC on my very first T5, i hated it, i could never get it set right and when i bought the car it was set so high that it had chronic overboost :grumpy:

IIRC its in the hose from the recirc valve to the manifold ?

Just splice it in there somewhere and run the hose off the top ( if its a 3 way ) to the inlet manifold.

If you can afford it mate go for a remap instead, £150 and its plug 'n' play :D

woking rob
Saturday 26th December 2009, 06:44
its coming off the road end of jam so there isnt much point in spending loads it only cost me £30 and i got a free gauge
(ganna put a merc supercharger on my baby)

linkin582
Saturday 26th December 2009, 09:41
going to want see it when you get the super charger on !!!!!
you will have to keep us up to date with how you get on !!

woking rob
Saturday 26th December 2009, 09:53
yeah i will do im gettin a better cam so i will put sove vids and pics up when i start doing it

woking rob
Saturday 26th December 2009, 18:08
ok i have fitted it
its not as argressive any more but the top end off the boost it alot better but it comes on softly at about 2k and befor it was just over 3k but it would just wheel spin so all in all it was worth the 30 quid just on tyers lol

linkin582
Saturday 26th December 2009, 20:41
sounds good i might have to look in to one !!!