PDA

View Full Version : door noise

Bob France
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 18:38
When I open the drivers door it sounds like draculas' coffin being opened and its also making a "cracking" noise.I've tried a squirt of WD and there seems to be grease on the hinges any ideas anyone please?

Al115
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 18:42
Sounds like the Door Check Strap... common-as-muck failure point of 850s.

Be careful with it until fixed as I've seen one 850 rip a hinge out after that failed. Becomes a much more expensive fix!!!

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 18:47
i unbolted mine when it went so as not to cause any more damage, open the door & the fitting bolt is under the rubber sleeve between the door & the pillar

Quazzimodo
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 19:01
Sounds like the Door Check Strap... common-as-muck failure point of 850s.

I agree with you mate, Happened to mine as well... sounded awful!

Volvostorm
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 19:08
Yeah, mine's doing it too :(

Time to get the door off me thinks

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 19:31
The check strap can break the metal above the point it goes into the frame and then the top part make a cracking sound twice in my case, and it's on the nearside front door. I am having it fixed with a weld in the New Year.

Very common and the bloke at my local garage said they used to get loads of them in from the Volvo main agents. He said it takes about an hour from start to finish to do.

Bob France
Thursday 24th December 2009, 23:48
thanks PC .oh dear,mines making that double cracking noise too,can you buy the strap as a spare? and is it a weld free job or am I to make a visit to my local Indie?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 25th December 2009, 00:14
My dad's 850 door was making a cracking noise the other day, problem is a new check strap was fitted a month ago. I checked it out and the bolt had come loose, tightened t up and no more cracking.

Maybe worth a look.

Bob France
Friday 25th December 2009, 21:17
Thanks lads I will give it the onceover tomorrow.

cameron
Friday 25th December 2009, 21:47
The welds on the door check straps were sheeeeit :grumpy:

A couple of spot welds were its cracked and hey presto all's well, done it on both my latest and previous 850's with great success :D

Paul which ones gone again as ive had one repaired already ;)

phil_woods
Friday 25th December 2009, 22:28
I'm sure I read a thread on here for a diy fix for this same problem which if my memory serves me right required no welding. I'll try and dig it out and post a link. I had the same problem by the way and just unbolted one end of the check strap. Door won't swing open and it's as quiet as a mouse

cameron
Friday 25th December 2009, 22:34
IIRC it includes a couple of 10mm bolts with nuts and a plate on the door side :confused:

phil_woods
Friday 25th December 2009, 23:12
Yeah that's the one lee.....I can't find it at the mo but I'm only on my phone will look next time I'm on my pc it's easier

cameron
Friday 25th December 2009, 23:27
IIRC i have it saved in my favourites, i'll go have a looky :D

cameron
Friday 25th December 2009, 23:32
Sweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew i still had it .................

Check strap fix (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=58287&highlight=door+check+strap)

Good write up and easy to follow :B_thumb:

In the diagram you can even see where the spot welds have failed, very shoddy Volvo, shame on you, for a car thats so over engineered to have spot welding in a high use area and of weight also is just not good enough :grumpy:

Good cheap fix though.

Volvostorm
Saturday 26th December 2009, 10:35
Paul which ones gone again as ive had one repaired already ;)

Drivers side mate, which one was repaired?