PDA

View Full Version : C70 shakes violently

andrew_s46
Monday 21st December 2009, 16:11
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2004 C70 convertible.

I'm having an issue at the moment where if I hit or just drive along any uneven road surface the back end shakes violently. It is not to the point where the car is affected in terms of road holding, it just seems to be in the interior.

This can happen at any speed really - fast or slow.

Anybody got any idea's what it could be?

My first thought was shock absorbers but they seem to be functioning ok...

C70 GTT5
Monday 21st December 2009, 16:21
convertables have to be built more rigid because they dont have a roof, this could be why the interior is rattling around, have you had a look at the rear axle? if its bent this could effect it. sounds strange i didnt think modern soft tops had problems anymore not like the old xr3 etc, hope you work it out mate an get it sorted :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:28
This is the reason I never bought the rag top - apparently the scuttle-shake is horrendous

there are rear strut braces that can be fitted to stiffen the back end.

IPD have a stiffer anti roll bars.

Flatout Phil
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:34
It could be scuttle shake. My wife's Golf has a bit of this. On yours I would try a strut brace. Is it worse when the lid is down? ALso, check the insides of the tyres for blisters, look at the rear bushes etc etc.

andrew_s46
Monday 21st December 2009, 20:40
This is the reason I never bought the rag top - apparently the scuttle-shake is horrendous

there are rear strut braces that can be fitted to stiffen the back end.

IPD have a stiffer anti roll bars.

I think I will look into getting a brace. Hopefully it will reduce it a little as it's terrible at the moment.

It could be scuttle shake. My wife's Golf has a bit of this. On yours I would try a strut brace. Is it worse when the lid is down? ALso, check the insides of the tyres for blisters, look at the rear bushes etc etc.

I haven't really drove it with the roof down much as I only got it around a month ago.

I have quickly taken the rear wheel off the check the inner side walls - on the NS inner side wall there is what only can be described as a "nibble" central in the side wall, around 3-4 inches long. It doesn't seem much (although will need replacing), could this cause a very bad shake?

v70torslanda
Monday 21st December 2009, 20:59
You could try swapping the wheels around and having them rebalanced but, TBH, I think you have to live with it. I drove new convertibles several times when I worked for Volvo, even when I visited their training centre at Daventry, I drove one with zero miles on the clock and the scuttle shake over bumps was horrible.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st December 2009, 21:18
If you haven't already you should fit the front strut brace as well.

andrew_s46
Monday 21st December 2009, 21:27
You could try swapping the wheels around and having them rebalanced but, TBH, I think you have to live with it. I drove new convertibles several times when I worked for Volvo, even when I visited their training centre at Daventry, I drove one with zero miles on the clock and the scuttle shake over bumps was horrible.

Thats a shame - it really is horrible :-( not sure how I didnt notice it on the test drive.

If you haven't already you should fit the front strut brace as well.

I have done a quick search and found info about the front brace, people quoting around £70 from Volvo which is very reasonable.

Can you get a rear brace from Volvo also?
Where does the rear brace go?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st December 2009, 21:30
rear brace goes between the 2 top mounts in the boot. Not sure where you get them from TBH - will investigate and get back to you.

Front brace is about that money

andrew_s46
Monday 21st December 2009, 21:45
rear brace goes between the 2 top mounts in the boot. Not sure where you get them from TBH - will investigate and get back to you.

Front brace is about that money

Just thought I would add - The car is running on P6000's. Not sure if that makes a difference but it seemed to be well documented on the S60.

t5 stealth
Monday 21st December 2009, 22:45
hi
daijarvoo lol,i cant spell that lol.
best to find the problem first before you go bolting bits onto it,
braces etc will help im sure but not cure.
check under the car,i believe these cars have cross braces underneath to help prevent twist etc.
check that all the bolts are tight as someone coluld of done work on it before you got the car & not done them up or even put them back on,
check you dont have any carbunkles on the surface of the tyres,
i know you say you checked them lol,
suspension wise check there is no oily leaks from the shock absorbers but check the rear coil springs as these have a problem with breaking springs....iv changed a few now,oh & maybe check you dont have a buckled wheel or bad ballanced wheels.
but if all else fails then take it to your local garage & ask them to put it up on a ramp & check it for you,

thebadger
Monday 21st December 2009, 23:43
Could it be a wheel bearing?

If it's happening at speed there's always that possibility?

Rear droplinks may be shot, I'd take Daves advice & look at new IPD ones. I fitted Delphi ones about 8 months ago & the car felt totally different.

Could also be a duff strut top mount or a spring seat. I'm about to get a new strut top bearing fitted in the next two days (probably tomorrow).

There's quite a ream of dud components that could cause this, but I'd get her checked and get the mechanic in the car for a drive to hear/feel the issue.

andrew_s46
Friday 25th December 2009, 13:38
Just a bit of an update..

I took the car to a volvo specalist and he has confirmed that i need a new NS wheel bearing and NS ball joint. Hopefully this will solve my problems!

I will give you all an update when the work had been completed!

Thanks

thebadger
Friday 25th December 2009, 14:32
^
Good guess then!

Glad they've diagnosed it, the worst that could happen is a "no fault" report, but the issue is still there.

You should get them to check the links while they have the car in getting looked at.