PDA

View Full Version : Heated Washer Jets

Volvostorm
Monday 21st December 2009, 15:30
Where these ever fitted to the 850's? Sick of mine freezing up

dave854
Monday 21st December 2009, 15:53
Nope, not to my knowledge. I find that the jets on my V70 work alot better in the cold than my previous 850. They give more of a spry / mist rather than jets. I guess the small jets can freeze up easier. Maybe worth a go?

Tomcat
Monday 21st December 2009, 16:06
Make sure you have a decent mix of water/screen wash, it should stop them from freezing up.

C70 GTT5
Monday 21st December 2009, 16:07
i always let my engine warm up before i use them, heats the jets up at the same time

Nico20V
Monday 21st December 2009, 17:29
Halfords ready mix is only good down to -4C. If you buy the better stuff for a quid more , even at 50% is still good down to -17. Full strength allowing for windchill and its good to -34, so no chance it'll freeze up on you.

Al115
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:07

No, but Volvo did fit a turbo, which serves the same purpose.

volvokid
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:11
I read years ago on a Volvo forum that you can re rout the washer hose round a certain part of the engine to keep them warm. I don’t know why they aren’t heated with Volvo being all about safety.

t5kev
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:13

they came fitted to gilf gti 16v but never worked that well

Flatout Phil
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:28
The basic problem is that all washer fluids contain water and this often keeps it unfrozen except at the nozzle - where the antifreeze properties tend to evaporate leaving just water! A low dilution can be very good - but not to your paintwork: be warned. Same applies to de-icer. You could run boilng water over the nozzles (but not your screen) whilst de-icing your car.
In the 70s I fitted my aunt's Passat with an aftermarket nozzle de-icer using a water jacket on the top hose. It was :pants:.

p fandango
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:29
I read years ago on a Volvo forum that you can re rout the washer hose round a certain part of the engine to keep them warm. I don’t know why they aren’t heated with Volvo being all about safety.
just wrap the screen wash pipe around the radiator top hose

Volvostorm
Monday 21st December 2009, 18:59
I do keep my screenwash mixture well topped up, the headlight washers work all the time, its just the screen ones that don't. I also think I could be losing pressure, as the drivers side headlight jet squirts out and sprays by-standers instead of the light!

volvokid
Monday 21st December 2009, 19:19
just wrap the screen wash pipe around the radiator top hose

Yeah I think thats what it could have been

5seaterT5x2
Monday 21st December 2009, 22:22

the halfords pink fluid goes to minus 8 usually 3 bottles for price of 2 this time of the year

JelT5
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 09:01
The jets have been freezing up in my V70 this last week, but then it's been down around -10C some of the time.

cameron
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 14:09
-7 in Oldham last night and ive got the Halfrauds mix and its not frozen up once :B_thumb:

Although i do leave the car ticking over ( in the drive with the gates locked ) for 5 minutes before i actually get in it, the Leather seats are freezing first thing :grumpy:

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 15:22
Although i do leave the car ticking over ( in the drive with the gates locked ) for 5 minutes before i actually get in it, the Leather seats are freezing first thing :grumpy:
my bro's old Toyota Surf had remote start. I borrowed it for a few days & was lovely to walk down the stairs, blip the remote to start the car & then go off & make a nice cup of coffee while i wake up. The doors remained locked until you blipped the remote again to unlock it. I can see another gadget going on the wish list for Bonny lol

cornclose
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 15:32
As I'm running a 50/50 water/methanol mix for my water injection system and I'm using the screenwash reservoir for the WI supply, I've not had a single freeze up so far. In fact, with an iced over windscreen, a quick squirt or two of the washers and the ice is gone!

Volvostorm
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 15:50
I refilled it today, I still have no screen jets, headlights are fine :(

As I said, I'm sure its to do with pressure, because the ends of the headlights just squirt everywhere, either than, or the T piece is playing up

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 15:53
I refilled it today, I still have no screen jets, headlights are fine :(

As I said, I'm sure its to do with pressure, because the ends of the headlights just squirt everywhere, either than, or the T piece is playing up
theirs quite a few one way valves in the screen wash system that can easily be blocked up. The headlight washers use the same pump as the front screen so its only pipework thats causing it

volvokid
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 15:55
my bro's old Toyota Surf had remote start. I borrowed it for a few days & was lovely to walk down the stairs, blip the remote to start the car & then go off & make a nice cup of coffee while i wake up. The doors remained locked until you blipped the remote again to unlock it. I can see another gadget going on the wish list for Bonny lol

Theres a better system out in Canada were you can txt your car and it will start for you. i loved the remote start.

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 16:00
Theres a better system out in Canada were you can txt your car and it will start for you. i loved the remote start.
not sure about that, i get enough junk mail text'd to my netbook & no-one knows the number to that (not even me). Someone will be trying to sell my car double glazing, or telling it that its won the South Africian lottery lol

Baj
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 19:42
My V70 had remote start. It was nice.

It really, really hard to fit to a phase 2 due to the electrics.

p fandango
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 20:05
It really, really hard to fit to a phase 2 due to the electrics.
theirs always ways around it :wink:

my bro's actually stopped fitting remote start kits to manuals after my mate ran himself over with it after forgetting he'd let it in gear :cuckoo:

volvokid
Tuesday 22nd December 2009, 20:17
theirs always ways around it :wink:

my bro's actually stopped fitting remote start kits to manuals after my mate ran himself over with it after forgetting he'd let it in gear :cuckoo:

LMAO :crazy: :ukliam2: that must be why half the cars over the pond are auto