PDA

View Full Version : Silver C70 T5 - Manual - 400BHP

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jamest5r
Saturday 1st December 2012, 21:47
What actuator you go for Dave?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 1st December 2012, 22:12
its that round shiny thing with the bar hanging out of it. derrr!

merc85
Saturday 1st December 2012, 23:56
is that turbo not going to fowel the firewall/bulkhead??

jardon
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 10:30
It's coming along there Dave - looks tidy. My thoughts on the actuator are that it may be necessary to get something adjustable when it comes to mapping. For instance to run 1.5 bar you may need a 1.5+ bar spring but there are so many variables when it comes to exhaust back pressure etc. What injectors are you going to fit?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 11:00
is that turbo not going to fowel the firewall/bulkhead?? There are already t5 volvo's out there running GT3071/76 turbos. Paul on here has one. I am not unduly concerned about clearance. If there are issues then a lump hammer/grinder mods may be deployed ;)

stribo
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 11:28
There are already t5 volvo's out there running GT3071/76 turbos. Paul on here has one. I am not unduly concerned about clearance. If there are issues then a lump hammer/grinder mods may be deployed ;)

You can't beat precision engineering. :P

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 11:37
main differences in the GTX is in the CHRA internals and the billet wheel. housing size is similar AFAIK.

merc85
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 11:41
There are already t5 volvo's out there running GT3071/76 turbos. Paul on here has one. I am not unduly concerned about clearance. If there are issues then a lump hammer/grinder mods may be deployed ;)

Yeah i know there is just didnt know if you were going to have to modifiy or knew of a certain way you was going go about doing it?

Its gonna be a animal for sure lol

p fandango
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 12:11
There are already t5 volvo's out there running GT3071/76 turbos
are any of them non-850's?

smithy
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 12:52
Yeah i know there is just didnt know if you were going to have to modifiy or knew of a certain way you was going go about doing it?

Its gonna be a animal for sure lol

Still wont catch my old tech 940 though

stribo
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 12:55
Still wont catch my old tech 940 though
Is that your 140 bhp 940, that isn't on the road?:saythat:

smithy
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 13:05

Yes but it will be very soon doing loads of work on it over Xmas and I will have my brakes by then too .and everyone will beat me in the new season because I'm running stock ecus but next winter I go standalone l and then things will change lol

jardon
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 13:07

It's what I was thinking. Come on Smithy and Pedro - get your acts together. I'll bet Daves is on the road first.

smithy
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 13:09
It's what I was thinking. Come on Smithy and Pedro - get your acts together. I'll bet Daves is on the road first.

Feb mine will be running and then running the old 8v in

jardon
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 13:10
If there are issues then a lump hammer/grinder mods may be deployed ;)

Pedro is handy with a grinder.

jardon
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 13:12
Feb mine will be running and then running the old 8v in

Right we are - looking forward to seeing it in action.

Pedro?

smithy
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 13:17
Right we are - looking forward to seeing it in action.

Pedro?

It will be mate I miss turbo power but my car has been running before and was pushing 265whp and 470nm torque only at 4200 rpm and at 16 psi on a t38 but now a t4

p fandango
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 16:52
Pedro?
i've gave up setting targets & deadlines. I've got all the bits for my gearbox, rear brakes just need connecting up & got got a few other little jobs to do. Main issue now is funds for the Turbo Tuner so i can get the fuelling right

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 17:13
are any of them non-850's?

Yes there was a P2 V70 on Volvospeed. Granted not everything is 100% certain, but nothing ever is.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 2nd December 2012, 17:25
It's coming along there Dave - looks tidy. My thoughts on the actuator are that it may be necessary to get something adjustable when it comes to mapping. For instance to run 1.5 bar you may need a 1.5+ bar spring but there are so many variables when it comes to exhaust back pressure etc. What injectors are you going to fit?

Currently I have greens. I will see have to see - tuning is a bit off (though always in my mind). The actuator is 1 bar.

Volvostorm
Monday 3rd December 2012, 11:57

Yep, mine had a bulkhead massage, with a big hammer!, mainly to move the heat shielding a bit

Wobbly Dave
Monday 3rd December 2012, 12:09
Looks like mine will need similar treatment. Who made up your oil feed lines?

jardon
Monday 3rd December 2012, 17:52
Currently I have greens. I will see have to see - tuning is a bit off (though always in my mind). The actuator is 1 bar.

Fair do's - be careful running that turbo on greens as it will run out of fuelling. My set up is the same as yours (bar the turbo) and greens neither greens or VXR's are up to the job - even with a Walbro (or equivalent). With a stock pump and VXR's I had no oomph above 4000 rpm. My 650's currently run a peak duty of 80% and I would anticipate you could use that 20% up easily with this turbo. Alan (Barnsley Bill) runs 750's on his 2871 equipped ME7. Alan also needed to wire his pump directly to the battery via a relay (as I now have) as he was lean at WOT in 4th. With the stock stock loom you lose 1 volt (which is ~7% pump capacity at 13 volts). Stock ME7 fuelling is poor in high power applications as there is no way for the system to increase fuel pressure. 1 bar actuator sounds like a sensible place to start - if it were me I'd have some other options up my sleeve for mapping as it would be annoying to be limited by such a simple piece of hardware.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 3rd December 2012, 17:59
I am mindful of injector duty cycle & fuel pressure but we are going to tune cautiously and build it up step by step. If I need s stronger spring/actuator then I will just have to get one. Slowly slowly catchy monkey, if you catch my drift.

Are you using the Deatschwerks 300 Series?

stribo
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:13
Doesn't the S60R/V70R use greens? if so surely they'd be up for the job. As you say Dave, as long as the map is correct for the specified injector duty cycle wise.

T5frankie
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:24
Doesn't the S60R/V70R use greens? if so surely they'd be up for the job. As you say Dave, as long as the map is correct for the specified injector duty cycle wise.

no no he needs much bigger injectors at least 650's i would of though

stribo
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:27
What power is he/ are you aiming for?

T5frankie
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:32
What power is he/ are you aiming for?

he can get 450bhp from that turbo

Wobbly Dave
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:32
more than I had before

T5frankie
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:37
more than I had before

and maybe he can get some torque this time lol

stribo
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:38
he can get 450bhp from that turbo

Yeah, but what about the rest of the engine. :P

more than I had before

I should hope so. ;)

LiamT4
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:45

The turbo he's using can give MUCH more power than the one in the s60/v70r, so he'll need much bigger injectors.

T5frankie
Monday 3rd December 2012, 18:47

i have greens in my s70r

Volvostorm
Monday 3rd December 2012, 20:10
Looks like mine will need similar treatment. Who made up your oil feed lines?

Made them myself, not hard to do, once you work out what size you need.

Used this for the oil feed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-4-8mm-3-16-Stainless-Braided-Teflon-Hose-3m-/160610503864?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item256521ccb8

Water feed is AN -08
Oil return is AN -12

no no he needs much bigger injectors at least 650's i would of though

I will be using Siemen Deka 630cc once mine is run in, at the moment its on blues/

jardon
Monday 3rd December 2012, 21:11
P2 ME7 fuelling is returnless and fixed pressure - utterly different to P2.5 T5's, P1's and all R models. This means fuel pressure at WOT is the same as at idle - 3.8 bar. At 1.4 bar boost the net fuel pressure is 3.8 - 1.4 = 2.4 bar in P2 ME7 T5's like mine and Dave's.

In a P1 car there is a fuel pressure regulator attached to the inlet manifold which adds fuel pressure in line with boost pressure so at 1.4 bar boost you have 3.0 + 1.4 = 4.4 bar fuel pressure. The later T5's and S60R have ecu controlled fuel pressure which again compensates for the loss of flow on boost.

The system I and Dave have is cheap and simple but requires disproportionately large injectors to acheive the fuel flow necessary for higher outputs.

It's hard to put a power figure on it as it will depend on target AFR but a stock stage 2 is the sensible ceiling for these cars as any more air flow (bigger turbo etc) will quickly overwhelm the stock fuel pump and injectors - greens included.

Greens are fine on mapped S60R's making 350+ BHP because the fuel pressure takes care of flow. Ditto within reason on P1 cars.

To date I am happy with my RC Engineering injectors but I hear good and bad about them in terms of potential for leaking and spray pattern. They do have volume of use on their side in terms of mapping as they very popular. If mine were to become problematic I would consider Siemens or Deka too but as all injectors have a specific dead time it might not be as simple as swapping without adjusting software. In Dave's position I would seek advice from the mapper (Autotech?) on what they like to use in a potential 450 BHP car of this model year.

Sorry for the long post but all is not as it would appear with injector capability and fuelling across the Volvo range and I'm not sure it's common knowledge. Typically Volvo experimented on P2's and then got their act together by P2.5.

Edit: I use a Deatschwerks DW300 which in theory delivers 300 lph (more than I need). A stock pump delivers 140-180lph depending on part number and a Walbro 255 delivers (obviously) 255lph. I went with a Deatschwerks after §§§§§§ing my Walbro - I would happily fit a Walbro again though. There are also good and bad Walbro copies to be had. Fitting a fuel pump to a P2 ME7 means pulling out the swirl pot and cutting out the stock pump. The new pump is attached by fuel hose which needs to be the correct length so the filter and pump inlet are at the bottom of the pot. Hose too short means "running out of fuel" at half tank. I have 2 swirl pot/sender units here with different return fittings - I modifyed the one I use to direct the return more positively into the pot as it was spraying over the pot and into the tank with an uprated pump. I have photos if required - it wasn't difficult.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 4th December 2012, 00:27
Made them myself, not hard to do, once you work out what size you need.

Used this for the oil feed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-4-8mm-3-16-Stainless-Braided-Teflon-Hose-3m-/160610503864?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item256521ccb8

Water feed is AN -08
Oil return is AN -12

Just a bit paranoid about oil leaks & would prefer to use solid lines where possible - though I have no idea how to get an inline restrictor that TD sent me to work.

EDIT

Found this & will look to get properly swaged pipes - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/garrett-bb-chra-oil-feeds-175724.html?amp;

I have the restrictor already...

Nealevo
Tuesday 4th December 2012, 08:17
Dave, Martin T5r is breaking a 850R saloon, off this car it has a massive turbo like yours and he is selling the flexi oil feed lines ect, if these are any use to you... get in quick the vultures are coming.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 4th December 2012, 11:29
That will save me so much effort - cheers Neal - IOU one.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 4th December 2012, 20:13
Not had a problem with any leaks so far, well, had one, and that was due to a faulty 90 degree connector changed it, been fine since, they are designed to carry oil pressure, rated well above what the oil pump produces.

But, if you can buy 'ready made' ons, go for it! :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 16:59
My TIAL BOV recirc turned up today - as did the 3" weld flange & v-band clamp.

Just like Christmas but slightly early.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 11th December 2012, 20:11
Same setup I have on mine :)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 14:16
How did you plumb in the return from the tial?

claymore
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 14:31
Best pics I could find:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?29426-What-and-where/page14

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 20:28
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear, the V-band setup is the same as mine, my GT is internally gated, I'm not running a Tial or any form of blow off valve.

(Not at the moment any way)

claymore
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 20:56
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear, the V-band setup is the same as mine, my GT is internally gated, I'm not running a Tial or any form of blow off valve.

(Not at the moment any way)
Errrr, yes you are

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 22:07
Yeah, I just remembered, I am, an adjustable re-circ valve!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 22:17
how much was your 3" V-band D/P and how come you split it near the steering rack?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 12th December 2012, 22:35
The D/P, was made by the engine builder using jetex 90 bends. Nearly everything on my car is designed by me, or my friend.

It has been designed with a removable centre section, so, I can put a cat or silencer, or even a straight through pipe on it :) It doesn't stop by the steering rack any more, that is an old photo, it now joins under the floor about where the cat should be

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/20120531_134526.jpg

After it had been ceramic coated, inside and out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/20120531_104941-1.jpg

Your more than welcome to come and look at the car.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th December 2012, 17:29
Having now got the engine in with the subframe back on today - I can see I will need something very similar.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th December 2012, 17:45
Need a bit of help with re-assembly as it has been a while & I have forgotten 1 or 2 bits.
The image below is from an S60 but its the closest to mine I can find - the blue pipe with the 1 way valves - goes to the base of the air intake? And the other end plumbs on to the brass connector on the centre of the inlet manifold?

Can someone with an ME7 engine have a look also at the arrangement of the PCV banjo connection

I kinda took it apart & forgot where everything goes. In particular there is a small branch off this only a few mm
Can you tell me where it all plumbs into?

I have the shot from VADIS but it doesn't show where most of the connections are

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th December 2012, 18:57
found a better pic of my banjo...

I am still a little uncertain - particularly the routing of the fuel return.

graemewelch
Thursday 27th December 2012, 19:23
im sure ive got some pics of wear it gose. its about 6" away from the banjo. it gose through the pipe that ataches to banjo if that mskes sence. if remember rightly theres a sleeve on one of pipes

banjo end

other end

hope this helps

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th December 2012, 22:02
Also trying to work out where the canister purge valve goes 19749

All I have found is this article from Volvo & I know one rises from the bulbous piece in the centre of the inlet manifold.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th December 2012, 22:09
Also trying to work out where the canister purge valve goes 19749

Am I correct in thinking this is part of the evap valve/canister system?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 27th December 2012, 22:27
I think I have found a bit more info

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 00:42
Just a catch up - Progress since 18th Dec.

Once I got into the re-build it wasn't too bad. New friction plate went in with the gearbox. I was very pleased with the design changes and the pipes from Elliot's old car.

Took a while - about 3 hours to get the oil return line-up properly. It was literally about 4mm too long, so needed careful manipulation to make it fit properly. I was particularly pleased with motorcast & the rigging of the larger studs into the manifold to allow for the larger holes in the garrett t3 housing. I am very confident it is properly lined up & more importantly - it should not leak!

Getting the engine g/b into the car was not as bad as I imagined. I used a 4 castor square-tubed trolley - about 3 foot square and standing about 2 foot off the ground, with a small wooden pallet on it to raise the engine. Once the engine was roughly aligned we bolted up the top engine mount & suspensed the engine/gearbox on an engine brace between the wings on chains. On the first attempt it became apparent that the rear engine mount that clamps onto the gearbox was not going to clear the compressor housing on the GTX turbo. Things like this take a while to resolve, but with some angle-grinding, filing & painting (the material removed was mostly from just a small section of the black steel cover) & re-routing the water return took me upto the Christmas break.
After I got back the engine was offered up a second time.

Using the same trolley and some extra wooden blocks - we dropped the whole caboodle onto the subframe & surprisingly there were no real dramas. The extra wooden blocks made it quite simple to allow the engine to drop on the right parts of subframe and the trolley made it quite easy to move the whole lot about to line up the 4 main bolts. The GTX easily cleared the F/W without an manipulation. Having access to air tools & a 2 poster is very handy. There is no way on God's earth I would attempt this conversion on a drive way with regular hydraulic jacks or even engine hoists - I think it would be a very different challenge - going in from the top.

I've spent the last 2.5 days reconnecting - and it did eventually come back to me. We have put fluids in & the only drama so far is that the rad has a leak in it? How it developed a leak in between engine changes, I have not a clue, particularly as the leak is on the side facing the air con condensor? WTF??

I have a spare & it will only take an hour to change it out. I have fabricated the t-piece into my over the top pipe for the TIAL Recirc BOV.

Last puzzle piece in the re-construction phase is to get the D/P fabbed up - so the car will have to take a trip up the road to Redditch powerflow to get that bit made up.

Jamest5r
Sunday 30th December 2012, 00:48
Nice work Dave but where's the bloody pics mate we luv pics :)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 00:50
Nice work Dave but where's the bloody pics mate we luv pics :)
I was just getting to that - TBH - I was flat out & didn't take as many as I would have liked.

t5 pete
Sunday 30th December 2012, 00:50
bet your getting excited then dave nothing like putting something back together and being able to use it after so long

M-R-P
Sunday 30th December 2012, 00:51
No pics? ;)

Nice to see an update Dave, looking forward to the results of the test drive :D

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:10
These 2 are 20th Dec - gearbox on - turbo plumbed (before I found the rear mount issue).

M-R-P
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:13
PHWAR! that's one big lump of shinyness!

Tell the truth now Dave - you've been stroking it, haven't you? :)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:15
This the only install shot from below I currently have - 19763

You can see that the rear mounting bracket has been on a diet.

I decided the old heater hoses were a bit knackered - so got the real deal from Volvo. However - My last top tip BTW for future builds is - don't throw out the old heater hoses until you look at the new ones properly. The yellow retaining clip is not included. I had to buy an entire plastic bulk head mount, just to get them (bins had been emptied). Oops.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:18
bet your getting excited then dave nothing like putting something back together and being able to use it after so long

I am just trying to remain quietly focused on getting everything done right. That first key turn is however tantilisingly close. So much time & money put into this - I am just praying it all comes together.

t5 pete
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:19
It will do dave i really hope every thing goes well for you

Volvostorm
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:24
You can't beat the thrill of the first startup :D

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:29
PHWAR! that's one big lump of shinyness!

Tell the truth now Dave - you've been stroking it, haven't you? :)

It has certainly been emotional.

M-R-P
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:31
Seriously tho mate, Betsy was epic when you kindly scared the crap out of me up the M1 (within legal limits of course), she's gonna be something else soon ;)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:41
I have to say at this point a massive thanks to Hamish, Tom & Billy at HLM for guidance, assistance, patience, reassurance and lots of other words ending in "nce" - although abuse doesn't.

They've pushed Betsy in and out of that garage every day for 6 weeks, keep it safe & I am eternally grateful for them endulging this madness.

Oh and they tuned my S40 - which has almost more torque than "Loose Women".

smithy
Sunday 30th December 2012, 01:47
I have to say at this point a massive thanks to Hamish, Tom & Billy at HLM for guidance, assistance, patience, reassurance and lots of other words ending in "nce" - although abuse doesn't.

They've pushed Betsy in and out of that garage every day for 6 weeks, keep it safe & I am eternally grateful for them endulging this madness.

Oh and they tuned my S40 - which has almost more torque than "Loose Women".
They are good bunch of lads mate I'm going to be scared going against on the strip mate how is the 8v going to cope lol.mine will be on the rollers early next year for some mild mapping and I will only be running 20 psi for now till I get a better clutch that is lol

lance
Sunday 30th December 2012, 12:53
Watching and very excited for you matey! Will have to Defo hook up in the new year!

jardon
Sunday 30th December 2012, 14:33
Apologies for not helping with the pipe routing - just read the updates and it seems you've sorted it out. My PCV plumbing is different since fitting (and subsequently unfitting) a catch can. I would have been no help on the evap plumbing other than to say it exists. Well done on the job so far and I'm loving how big the turbo is.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 30th December 2012, 16:40
Apologies for not helping with the pipe routing - just read the updates and it seems you've sorted it out. My PCV plumbing is different since fitting (and subsequently unfitting) a catch can. I would have been no help on the evap plumbing other than to say it exists. Well done on the job so far and I'm loving how big the turbo is.

It was OK in the end. I managed to figure it out - using the available holes vs available pipes plus the odd photo taken beforehand. Just cross your fingers I haven't forgotten anything.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 4th January 2013, 00:48
First run up today. My heart was in my mouth - but it all went well. Cranked it without the coils connected. Primed engine then caught first time.
Only 1 minor leak from the oil feed (fixed) & a small drip from the banjo on the water return. All nipped up and working fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFS2-a_Vd5o

Radiator is swapped. There are a few issues with the intake shield and the downpipe is now the last piece in the jigsaw - hopefully sorted over the weekend.

Engine runs sweetly, couldn't be happier with progress so far.

V70 Graham
Friday 4th January 2013, 09:02
Looking good Dave, glad your happy, hope the intake shield and downpipe work goes well at the weekend.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th January 2013, 12:43
it's all for §§§§. According to the exhaust guys given the lower position of the CHRA & subsequent V-band opening - I have 6 inches to do 180 degree turn - essentiall the dp cuts back on itself. Comparing with Pauls picture -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/Volvo%20build%20and%20evos/cd2995ed.jpg

they say I don't have that extra 2" height. Not sure what to do without some specialist casting to screw onto the turbine housing.

Just right now I feel like jacking it all in.

smithy
Thursday 10th January 2013, 13:21
it's all for §§§§. According to the exhaust guys given the lower position of the CHRA & subsequent V-band opening - I have 6 inches to do 180 degree turn - essentiall the dp cuts back on itself. Comparing with Pauls picture -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/Volvo%20build%20and%20evos/cd2995ed.jpg

they say I don't have that extra 2" height. Not sure what to do without some specialist casting to screw onto the turbine housing.

Just right now I feel like jacking it all in.

No you don't mate just have think of another idea and have you got any pics of your problem mate

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th January 2013, 14:56
Need a proper custom fab place that can make stuff to go on the turbine housing in the W. Mids. I am not worried if the V-band thing is replaced by a custom collector or not.

perhaps using this kind of flange...

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/Flanges/Steel/ATP-FLS-075_450-1.jpg

with a bell mouth style collector

http://www.radiumauto.com/admin/uploads/EDITED-_DSC6937.jpg

or even cake wedge pieces of pipe welded together to create the U bend..

claymore
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:08
This is how I'm going to do mine next week:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20121201_185049.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20121201_185144.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:45
I think -like Pauls - your GT is higher than mine?

claymore
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:47
I think -like Pauls - your GT is higher than mine?
How is yours bolted to the manifold, has it got an adapter welded on?

Jamest5r
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:50
Take it here Dave, http://www.custom-chrome.co.uk/

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th January 2013, 15:53
How is yours bolted to the manifold, has it got an adapter welded on? no weld adaptor. The TD04 ring was flattened off - larger diameter studs fitted and the T3 housing was bolted straight on.

jardon
Thursday 10th January 2013, 16:16
I would talk to Nigel Altiss - this sort of issue is right up his street. You could run it by Tim while you're there.

http://www.altiss.com/

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 10th January 2013, 17:04
Going with custom chrome for now - just need to get it over there.

V70 Graham
Thursday 10th January 2013, 17:30
Going with custom chrome for now - just need to get it over there.

Keep us up to speed Dave, and certainly don't give up hope, just think it will be sorted soon mate.

Volvostorm
Thursday 10th January 2013, 19:26
no weld adaptor. The TD04 ring was flattened off - larger diameter studs fitted and the T3 housing was bolted straight on.

Thats pretty much how mine was fitted, to gain some extra space, we cut and modified the heat shield around the steering linkage, its still there, just not as much.

LiamT4
Thursday 10th January 2013, 21:13
I recommend custom chrome, they did an excellent job doing a full exhaust on my mates old r32 skyline.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th January 2013, 14:09
I appreciate Smithy's contact & Hamish's help again. I am just praying CC can pull it off. Having spoke to the owner (is there anyone Smithy doesn't know??) I am cautiously optimistic.

Jamest5r
Friday 11th January 2013, 15:11
If they have a telephone Smithy know's them :)

smithy
Friday 11th January 2013, 15:14

Cheeky sod lol

t5 pete
Friday 11th January 2013, 16:12

Pmsl

MoleT-5R
Saturday 12th January 2013, 00:21
now known as SMITHY 118 118, get a tache mate...lol

M-R-P
Saturday 12th January 2013, 00:23
now known as SMITHY 118 118, get a tache mate...lol

Got your number...

MoleT-5R
Saturday 12th January 2013, 00:30
[QUOTE=M-R-P;561667]Got your number...[/QUOTE

118 118...lol
]

graemewelch
Saturday 12th January 2013, 22:06
if this company dosnt work out im down you way on the 8th and 9th feb. id happily stop by yours and sort your pipe out. let me know and ill sort you a shopping list. even if get sorted in the mean time and want some pointers with tig welding ill bring my stuff down and your welcome to have a bit play. i only wish you were closer and i bet its so frustrating being so close to being finished.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th January 2013, 22:17
Graham you're a superstar. It's comforting to feel that I have a backup plan. I think it will require some kind of custom collector that can be bolted to the turbine housing - & I hope that custom chrome can oblige.

graemewelch
Saturday 12th January 2013, 22:28
i havnt seen your set up up but im 99% sure you can keep the v band clamp.

Volvostorm
Saturday 12th January 2013, 22:42
That picture of my d/pipe is a very early one, we must have had it on and off the turbo, and later on the car, about 30 times or more.

This is where I got my bends from, part no U037690

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/custom_parts.php?mat=Aluminised+or+mild&dia=3.0+inch

even then, we cut them about, and the pipe isn't 'flat' it bends in 3 different directions!

As I've said Dave, your more than welcome to come and look at the car yourself, its only just outside Shrewsbury.

graemewelch
Saturday 12th January 2013, 22:53
x1d 90 degree bends can be picked up around 15 quid. 304l stainless

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:07
I think it has more to do with the height & how sharp it has to turn down. I believe this is the majority of my problem. Your collector output is not level with the centre of the shaft (at least from your pictures it appears not), its slightly higher up - and that extra inch is important when it comes to coming back into the exhaust tunnel.
Hence the ATP v-band housing that I bought it that much lower & and it also goes further across to the nearside, making the cut back even more tight plus the T3 housing I bought has the internal gate built in - giving it more length.

I think if custom chrome can create an alternative collector where the V-band is actually pointing downwards relative to the floor or perhaps slightly angled as per the original td04 housing, it will make the turn feasible. At the mo the 1st exhaust place could not buy a turn tight enough to make it work within the space - so sadly buying in the turns is not the issue.

The other alternative is to create the same 5 bolt housing but use a smaller outlet - perhaps 2.5 inch which would create much needed room.

I am trying to remain optimistic that a reasonable compromise can be found.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:13
Another thought - though it would be a pain, is to source the same housing as you paul, but what are you doing for a wastegate?

Edit - I think I know the difference....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/Volvo%20build%20and%20evos/919b99ad.jpg

See how short the flange stamp is relative to the one I bought.

your turbine wheel is a lot closer to the edge

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19399&d=1353459480

smithy
Saturday 12th January 2013, 23:21
Lets see what ccr say first mate before you go any further .

Volvostorm
Sunday 13th January 2013, 00:39
Another thought - though it would be a pain, is to source the same housing as you paul, but what are you doing for a wastegate?

Edit - I think I know the difference....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/Volvo%20build%20and%20evos/919b99ad.jpg

See how short the flange stamp is relative to the one I bought.

your turbine wheel is a lot closer to the edge

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19399&d=1353459480

Looks like you have found the problem, my housing came from Owen's, I don't know what make it is, and, like yours, my is internally gated.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 13th January 2013, 01:01
I believe that it is possible to fit the GTX3071 into the same housing as that. Lets just see if CCr can work some magic into this. if not then using the same turbine housing may be the only way to rescue the project.

M-R-P
Sunday 13th January 2013, 01:09
Plan B - fit a N/A manifold and ditch the turbo. Then grab one of Colin's spare superchargers...:ukliam2:

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 13th January 2013, 01:19
Plan B involved 2 gallon of diesel & a match.

M-R-P
Sunday 13th January 2013, 01:26
Petrol burns better...

Besides, wedging a candle in the back seat can give you up to 3 hours to be somewhere else ;)

I prefer my plan B to yours tho :D

Stick with it Dave - you'll get there mate ;)

LiamT4
Sunday 13th January 2013, 12:43
Plan B involved 2 gallon of diesel & a match.

Can you ignite diesel with a match?? Thought it had to be under pressure for diesel to burn.

They always a way dave, sure someone will find a solution.

graemewelch
Sunday 13th January 2013, 15:05
he will find a solution. if they cant do it ill come down and do it for him.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 13th January 2013, 15:14
I appreciate everyones support and encouragement.

JT
Sunday 13th January 2013, 15:44
to quote......."Sorry to hear of your woes - but least we're not short on JT drama now."

swings and roundabouts as they say! lol

hope you get it sorted,I'm looking forward to seeing some good figures from this:)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 13th January 2013, 18:59
quote who?

EddyP
Sunday 13th January 2013, 20:20
This is fairly tight

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/76mm-3-90-degree-Tight-Mandrel-Bend-Stainless-Steel-/260838328648?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cbb2d0948

Look for dairy bends, they're usually very tight, i've used the Jetex one and it's not too bad but not as good as that one above, the jetex one is formed from two halves pressed out of a sheet and then welded together.

If all fails, i've got a 19T and some cash I could give you for the GTX ;)

Ed

PS. I was with Mark Stringer today, he said he's pleased to see you're still playing with Volvos, but please don't crash this one :slap:

claymore
Sunday 13th January 2013, 20:25
These are the ones I was looking at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Universal-Tight-90-Degree-Exhaust-Bend-3-Diameter-Mild-Steel-/300705051461?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=PToH5%2BZBpvAFXRysxjGJ8k3vzEE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

EddyP
Sunday 13th January 2013, 21:00
Might be worth talking to these guys:

http://www.terraspan.co.uk/productsandstock.html

They're in the Midlands and stock the stainless bends that are a really tight radius.

graemewelch
Monday 14th January 2013, 11:19

looks a simular set up to yours except its for a r.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 11:27
That looks similar Graham but the turbo is higher & further towards my O/S - I wonder what manifold is being used?

EDIT This will be LHD - they have no brake servo in the way - so they can do that. Unless I can cut my brake servo in half not sure how far up I can come?

I found the thread by referencing the filename of that JPG picture.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?76551-Picture-Request-Downpipe-with-elbow-in-the-shape-of-a-question-mark.&

I see a lot of people using this kind of turbine housing - this one is not internally-gated

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4628/4681/24069840014_medium.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 11:57
You can see from this below shot that the exit from the V-band housing is directly below the brake servo...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 13:24
As I don't have an exact rear on view - I have tried to draw approx where my turbo sits relative to the block. LHD is much easier because the steering rack (in red here) is on the other side...

In hindsight I wish I had dropped my steering rack onto the subframe and set it with the engine sitting in position on it. I guess that way, I would have had a much better idea of the routing of the DP - even so it would have been tricky to know how low the brake servo was.

If I have to change to a non-garrett turbine housing to get it to fit then so be it.

On a positive note the engine runs sweetly and there are no leaks.

Does anyone have a spare S60/S60R rear gearbox engine mount. I believe it will fit better than the one I have modified. You can see it on the picture above.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 13:41
Someone else using the cosworth T3 housing...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/BlackT5_/DSC04619.jpg

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TP&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-004&Category_Code=

graemewelch
Monday 14th January 2013, 13:54
http://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo-discussion-14/custom-downpipe-need-alittle-help-30073/

this is howd id do it. its the best way to get the tight radious you need.
http://www.cravenperformance.com/gallery/fabrication-pics/

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 14:01
Wish I'd found this project a bit sooner....

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/64863-project-blackt5/

The GT35 is a lot bigger than what I have.

graemewelch
Monday 14th January 2013, 14:03
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/319094-lets-talk-custom-downpipes-3.html

and some more. id do it in 15 or 30 degree mitres. do it so it 135 degrees the add a 1d 45 degree bend. i think that would get you past the steering rack and clearance issues would be no more. once past the rack 1d bends should do the trick. never say never. the job isnt impossible. just needs a bit custom work

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 14:12
You mean this cake slice job?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n104/madmalc/10122008259.jpg

graemewelch
Monday 14th January 2013, 14:17
You mean this cake slice job?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n104/madmalc/10122008259.jpg

aye sumit simular. thats one huge turbo in that link.

smithy
Monday 14th January 2013, 21:23
Wish I'd found this project a bit sooner....

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/64863-project-blackt5/

The GT35 is a lot bigger than what I have.
Nice turbo in that link and them are the injectors I have in my car mate .them are the ones I was telling you about

Volvostorm
Monday 14th January 2013, 22:13
Same injectors I have to go in mine too

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 00:09
I was thinking that 630cc was a bit OTT & I was worried about it being lumpy at low revs.

smithy
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 00:34
I was thinking that 630cc was a bit OTT & I was worried about it being lumpy at low revs.

If it is mapped properly mate then no you will have no probs.in USA peeps are using 1000cc injectors with just chips on 940/740s so you have no probs.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 00:35
Where can I get the siemen 630s from? Are they in the UK?

smithy
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 00:56
Where can I get the siemen 630s from? Are they in the UK?

You might be able to get them in the uk mate I will text you the part number if you want .i know my ones came from the USA but the must be a supplier in the uk

Volvostorm
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 15:55
Got mine off GavT4 on T5D5, think he can still get them

jardon
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 17:34
Got mine off GavT4 on T5D5, think he can still get them

GazT4R

Volvostorm
Wednesday 16th January 2013, 20:18
GazT4R

Him as well, I even checked to see if I had the right, which I didn't, thought I had corrected it! :shifty::wallbash:

graemewelch
Sunday 20th January 2013, 21:46
how you getting on with the down pipe plans. just if you thing you might need some help ill pull my finger out and start cuting some material to make tight radious bends.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 20th January 2013, 22:03
Everything is on hold.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 20th January 2013, 23:28
I think I have stumbled upon my answer & they are UK based...

http://www.goapr.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ttrs-stage3-prototype-008.jpg

Going to call them tomorrow to see if this collector is available

They are using the same swing gate turbine housing as me.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 20th January 2013, 23:49
If don't sell this prototype then this might work

claymore
Monday 21st January 2013, 07:33
I think I have stumbled upon my answer & they are UK based...

http://www.goapr.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ttrs-stage3-prototype-008.jpg

Going to call them tomorrow to see if this collector is available

They are using the same swing gate turbine housing as me.

How does that bolt onto the exhaust housing? the exhaust housing uses studs.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st January 2013, 12:53
I would have to drill out the threads on the bottom 3 holes - as they have done. Look carefully at their swing gate housing - you can just see the remains of the threads.

http://www.goapr.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ttrs-stage3-prototype-012.jpg

Jamest5r
Sunday 27th January 2013, 17:30
What's happening the Dave?? you gone a bit quiet :)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 27th January 2013, 19:24
Only to keep my excitement in check for tomorrow.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th January 2013, 23:29
Great news - Chris Tullett - a welding genius has successfully taken on my commission and completed it. The quality is exemplary. He has completed the turn using the v-band exit from the turbo - something A44 exhausts said couldn't be done. I'll post some shots when it's light.

Drove her home from Aylesbury (thanks to Mrs Wobbly for dropping me down).

I have a minor PAS leak which needs to be sorted but other than that I couldn't be happier. Betsy is home - 1st time since last October.

http://www.christullettexhausts.com/

t5 pete
Monday 28th January 2013, 23:33
Good news dave im glad you managed to get it all sorted and shepbomb will be happy

Wobbly Dave
Monday 28th January 2013, 23:43
aye - he can finally have the ferrita

smithy
Monday 28th January 2013, 23:57
Weldone dave next run it in and then tuning .how does the turbo feel

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 00:23
It makes suggestive whistling noises already. 120 miles done 1380 to go.

M-R-P
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 00:32
Real pleased for ya Dave. Looking forward to the first 1/4 run ;)

lance
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 08:09
Yeah cool glad betsy is safely home, can't wait to see her in action.

T5frankie
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 08:14
Nice one Dave mapping next shark performance do custom mte maps in Mansfield

V70 Graham
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 08:59
Really pleased for you Dave, worth all the blood sweat and tears you've put in, looking forward to seeing her soon.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 09:17
So now it's all back together.... Now the real fettling starts..!!!

Will you start with a safe map and build up or just go for broke???!!!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 09:44
Great news Dave, hope to see it soon

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 10:00
So now it's all back together.... Now the real fettling starts..!!!

Will you start with a safe map and build up or just go for broke???!!!

I need injectors and a fuel pump plus 1500 miles to bed the new bores in. Going to start off slowly and build it up. I set out some bench mark goals when I started. If I can reach those targets then I will be happy.

rikcougar
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 10:59
Great news Dave, look forward to seeing it in action this year

What will you do now ???

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 11:45
Great news Dave, look forward to seeing it in action this year

What will you do now ???

Use up hideous amounts of fuel trying to get the engine ready. Anyone got any thoughts on the best way to bed an engine in?

M-R-P
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 11:48
I've heard that sitting at the same speed/revs on the motorway should be avoided.

You're always welcome down in Poole for a Mc Donalds, I'll even buy you a Mc Flurry ;)

What about putting it on some rollers, with the cruise control on in 5th and just change the speed every now and again?

Nealevo
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:02
Anyone got any thoughts on the best way to bed an engine in?

Dave when we bed in gearboxes, diffs and engines after big bangs, we are told never to sit on a motorway at constant speeds for more than 10 miles at a time, so keep it varied and take it easy, we flush the engine after 200 miles just incase and use thick oil, now this could be useless for volvos as im used to land rovers and jags but all information helps you decide...

Cant wait for the season to start, it should be a good one!!!! thats you (nearly) James (nearly) and claymore (nearly) ready

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:10
Oops - well I drove 120 miles at pretty much constant 2500 rpm. A change of approach is needed.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:15
I did various driving including about 200 miles of motorway but never over 3k rpm, took me over 2 months to run mine in, also swooped oil after the first couple of hundred just in case there was any swaff hanging around

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:19
I did various driving including about 200 miles of motorway but never over 3k rpm, took me over 2 months to run mine in, also swooped oil after the first couple of hundred just in case there was any swaff hanging around

Well I am planning on running over to HLM today - but I'll go the back way. I've already done 1 oil change after the first 20 minutes. Can't see me being ready for the 1st drag race, if I have 8 weeks. Probably do another oil change today if I can.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:29
New D/P from above. Quality of the welds is astonishing...

M-R-P
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:42
Yep that is some really good work. Top marks to the fabricator.

smithy
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:56
Dave just drive the car mixed driving like everyday driving for around 700 miles then start to stretch her legs abit and that don't mean beating her ether .change oil every 250 or so miles and filter too .

graemewelch
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 17:24
New D/P from above. Quality of the welds is astonishing...

looks like theyve done a nice job. bet your glad youve done. happy days now burning some optimax for the fun of it.

stribo
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 19:25
Glad you've got it up and running Dave, look forward to seeing it in full flight later in the year.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 19:44
Well I am planning on running over to HLM today.....

Anything found/bought/fitted ?

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 19:46
Nice looking work on that DP mate :)

One thing I did to mine, I had it ceramic coated to help keep the heat away from the servo.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 21:10
Yes - do you have a contact for that?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 21:12
Anything found/bought/fitted ?

Yes - the top line going into the steering rack, the o ring seal had perished. 10p part job done leak fixed.

claymore
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 21:37
DP looks great Dave, but for gods sake can you please get yourself a photobucket account

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:09
Yes - do you have a contact for that?

These are the people who done mine: http://camcoat.com/main/site/

I had mine double coated, i.e both in and outside, wasn't a bad price, about £70, give them a ring, they are only in Warrington, so not to far away

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:21
Why inside?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:25
DP looks great Dave, but for gods sake can you please get yourself a photobucket account

What's wrong with stickin' 'em on 'ere?

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:27
Why inside?

Helps to keep the heat inside the exhaust, which helps with gas flow.

claymore
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:30
What's wrong with stickin' 'em on 'ere?
it means having to click on the image to see it full size, then click again to go back to the thread, which is a pain in the §§§§.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 22:32
Sorry. I will open one just now. You can SHIFT + click to avoid having to do that?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 23:20
Here are some shots of the new DP from underneath

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/WobblyDave/Garrett%20GTX%20conversion%20project/newflexdpjoint_zps51ece7fa.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/WobblyDave/Garrett%20GTX%20conversion%20project/dpfrombelow_zpsc28d8a7f.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/WobblyDave/Garrett%20GTX%20conversion%20project/look_back_at_new_cat_zps48999ff9.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/WobblyDave/Garrett%20GTX%20conversion%20project/dp_coming_over_PAS_rack_zps9b3cda67.jpg

Good - init?

shepbomb
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 23:21
Looking good there Dave, very NIiiiiiicccceee

M-R-P
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 23:26
That is really god fabrication mate, I doubt you'll ever see better.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 23:28
I am very chuffed the way they've put in the 3 bolt coupling - just to make things a bit easier, without me having to ask. Bought some heat wrap and shielding this evening to help shield the steering rack & brake servo from radiant heat.

smithy
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 23:31
That looks like plasma welding to me .nice work

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 23:33
You'd have to ask Chris Tullett about that.

graemewelch
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 00:36
That looks like plasma welding to me .nice work

its tig welded

smithy
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 01:55
its tig welded

Nice welding any case

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 08:28
I am very chuffed the way they've put in the 3 bolt coupling - just to make things a bit easier, without me having to ask. Bought some heat wrap and shielding this evening to help shield the steering rack & brake servo from radiant heat.

Don't forget, as well as functionality, heat wrap (when done properly) looks the bogs dollocks ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:13
Wondering weather to buy one of those titanium heat shield covers for the turbine housing too?

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:20
It's shiny isn't it?

If so, then the car obviously needs it ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:51
Not shiny as such - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1471&g=242423&p=223973&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Heat%20Shielding%20&%20Protection&gclid=CJGnqYD0j7UCFeTMtAodmF8ASg

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 11:07
Hmmm, not shiny but looks important :)

jardon
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 18:20
That down pipe is a neat job in a very tight space - good find. I read (possibly inaccurately) that when bedding a new engine you shouldn't run a fully synthetic oil but use a mineral oil instead. Something to do do with future oil consumption?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:12
Yeah, I've been told that too, mine has running-in oil in it, which I believe is 100% dinosaur!

claymore
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:15
Just dumped the mineral oil out of mine, ready to put Semi synthetic and a new filter in tomorrow.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:16
I think running in oil is far too thin, i used it for the 1st few miles and i mean a few the went onto the budget 10-40

claymore
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:21
I think running in oil is far too thin, i used it for the 1st few miles and i mean a few the went onto the budget 10-40
That's the whole point of it, it's to let the bores wear in, if you don't use crap oil to start with, the engine will be an oil drinker and have less compression in later life.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:22

Yes, was told that too, I will be doing that as well, but, as mine has only done 3miles its ok for a while.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:27
That's the whole point of it, it's to let the bores wear in, if you don't use crap oil to start with, the engine will be an oil drinker and have less compression in later life.

Just as well i used it for a few miles then lol

LiamT4
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 19:58
Anything on here that may help you dave

http://www.thermalprotectioninc.com/

Think silver is supposed to be the best, but it corrodes quicker than gold (think thats why they used gold in the mclaren f1)

T5frankie
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 20:12
That is really god fabrication mate, I doubt you'll ever see better.

i think you'll find there is.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2011/11/xlarge_72c39c2c45e054cda944cc37e8887078.jpg

Nealevo
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 20:18
Ha ha that looks like I welded it!!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 20:57
That down pipe is a neat job in a very tight space - good find. I read (possibly inaccurately) that when bedding a new engine you shouldn't run a fully synthetic oil but use a mineral oil instead. Something to do do with future oil consumption?

Thought about mineral oil - but didn't want to damage the turbo bearings, so settled on a thicker semi-synth, for better or worse.

Volvostorm
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 21:28
Mineral won't harm the bearings, just use the cheapest oil you can lay your hands on

smithy
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 22:09
10/40 autolube cheap stuff is fine for running in but after you have done 650 miles then start putting better stuff in when you start to stretch things.

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 23:15
i think you'll find there is.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2011/11/xlarge_72c39c2c45e054cda944cc37e8887078.jpg

Holy poo!
That looks like it was stick-welded by Steevie Wonder!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 1st February 2013, 19:52
I have been doing my research. I can get the D/P done by http://www.zircotec.com/ - the rolls-royce/F1 of thermal coatings for 120 quid in performance white. Turn around is a disappointing 5 days. Heat wrap would be pointless.

The contact Paul gave me said he'd do the same D/P - not quite such a good quality but done inside & out for 70. Heat wrap cannot be applied.

I've already bought heat wrap tape - s/s ties, heat shield and heat proof pipe surround (for the PAS pipes)

I could just wrap the d/p and have done. I know that heat wrap does not last for ever.

rikcougar
Friday 1st February 2013, 22:13
I have been doing my research. I can get the D/P done by http://www.zircotec.com/ - the rolls-royce/F1 of thermal coatings for 120 quid in performance white. Turn around is a disappointing 5 days. Heat wrap would be pointless.

The contact Paul gave me said he'd do the same D/P - not quite such a good quality but done inside & out for 70. Heat wrap cannot be applied.

I've already bought heat wrap tape - s/s ties, heat shield and heat proof pipe surround (for the PAS pipes)

I could just wrap the d/p and have done. I know that heat wrap does not last for ever.

The exhaust manifolds on the diesels that we build at work are often hot enough to see through Dave, we have tried various coatings on them but none are as efficient as the heat wrap at keeping the heat in. Lloyds the marine insurers will not accept coated manifolds, only wrapped

Volvostorm
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 09:12
5 days turn around isn't bad, but I guess mine is off the road, so its not like I needed it.

The quaily oif the finish on my D/P is really nice, I also had all the stuff to wrap it, but chose not as I've seen that heatwrap can cause the exhaust to rot out quicker.

My system is wrapped though ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/paulxr4x4/20120601_164120.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 22:25
Have a packet of tissues at the ready - Carbon Fibre ITG intake filter. And I also managed to sort out the twist in the PCV tube (the one that goes into the PTC valve) at the bottom of the MAF to Turbo pipe - which was playing havoc with my idle & all kinds of problems on reappling the throttle after a trailing throttle.

As for the ITG intake - I've had my eye on it for a long time. Thanks to Hamish for letting pinch it finally. I will put the IPD shield & cone (their short RAM intake kit) up for sale soon.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/WobblyDave/newITGcarbonfilter_zpsa72e657a.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y530/WobblyDave/enginewithnewintakeFeb2012_zps99f06dd7.jpg

V70 Graham
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 22:32
That is a serious intake !
Glad the twist is sorted, project is in the home straight now.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 22:40
As serious as cancer (as per the song). Hardly home straight but getting there for sure!

Heat proofing, recirc piping, injectors, fuel pump & then perhaps some remapping.

Engine revs nicely under no load - I've had her up to 5500 standing still. Sweet as a nut.

Nealevo
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 22:47
Barsteward I had my eye on that intake :-) looks very good

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 22:49
Barsteward I had my eye on that intake :-) looks very good I'll let you have my IPD one?

deathrider311271
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 00:23
Dave how are you running a dump valve??? i was told it caused issues

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 00:39
Because the garrett GTX3071R doesnt have a built in one? Plus this will be plumbed into the MAF to Turbo pipe (as the recirc). I have to cut & weld on a pipe to recieve the dumped air. Current dump to atmosphere is only temporary and I am not running any boost during the run in period.

smithy
Sunday 3rd February 2013, 00:50
Looks nice dave now drive it and get the mileage up

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th February 2013, 15:48
Look - heat protection stuff!

I know I can tell that you are all excited - but it is good when stuff turns up.

Flexible Heat shield, velcro pipe shroud, heat wrap tape & s/s ties.

hybriduno
Friday 8th February 2013, 16:13
OOOOH pretty :)

M-R-P
Friday 8th February 2013, 16:18
Stainless cable ties - covers so many manly needs...

martybelfastt5
Friday 8th February 2013, 18:24
looks great under the bonnet!

jotter22
Friday 8th February 2013, 20:20
Does Hamish stock induction kits ?

Tony.

BlackBeast
Friday 8th February 2013, 21:17
TBH I'll be happy with anything over 400. Any tips you can give me would be appreciated - perhaps on another thread?

Found you project thread. You should be around the 470 mark minimum on a Maha dyno, can't speak for other dynos as I dont use those.

Anything you need to know, send me a pm as I dont often visit these parts.

As for tips, oil pressure/temp gauge is a must, decent size oil cooler, metal bearing cage for the turbo, heat jacket for the turbo, eeerrrrmmmmm...................

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th February 2013, 22:19
Does Hamish stock induction kits ?

Tony.

No but he has performance panel filters. I have my old induction kit going for a decent offer. Hell I'll even throw in the elephant trunk mod if you wanted to replace your plastic fresh air pipe (the one that runs over the intercooler/rad).

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th February 2013, 22:25
Found you project thread. You should be around the 470 mark minimum on a Maha dyno, can't speak for other dynos as I dont use those.

Anything you need to know, send me a pm as I dont often visit these parts.

As for tips, oil pressure/temp gauge is a must, decent size oil cooler, metal bearing cage for the turbo, heat jacket for the turbo, eeerrrrmmmmm...................

Cheers BB - I appreciate you taking the time. I already had turbo dynamics work their magic on the CHRA - heat jacket, hopefully it will come as part of my birthday? I have torque app to monitor things.

I am curious as to why you think I can jump 150 bhp on that turbo?? I haven't lowered the compression - however anything over 400 would be a bonus.

jotter22
Friday 8th February 2013, 22:40
No but he has performance panel filters. I have my old induction kit going for a decent offer. Hell I'll even throw in the elephant trunk mod if you wanted to replace your plastic fresh air pipe (the one that runs over the intercooler/rad).

does it come with fitting included? I will be at HLM on 27th march.

Tony.

t5 pete
Friday 8th February 2013, 22:41
Im sure if all the parts are at hlm he will fit it for a fee

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th February 2013, 22:46
Induction kit has nothing to do with HLM - but they will fit it if you ask nicely. Or I can just send it to you? It is not difficult to fit.

jotter22
Friday 8th February 2013, 22:55
Dave are you far from HLM maybe i can do a round robin.

Tony.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th February 2013, 23:03
Quite far - in Telford. It's an hour away (52 miles). I'd happily fit it for you or even send it to you. I'd even come over to HLM and do it.

jotter22
Friday 8th February 2013, 23:05
Quite far - in Telford. It's an hour away (52 miles). I'd happily fit it for you or even send it to you.
I have asked Nat for a book in time wait and see what it is then i can sort something out with you maybe pop up after the work or before depending on the book in time i would have you send it but i dont do paypal or anything out of interest pm me a price i might be able to get my boy to sort something out.

Tony.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 8th February 2013, 23:09
Do you want the shiny trunk or are you going to stick with the black plastic one you have?

jotter22
Friday 8th February 2013, 23:17
HHHmmmm shiney sounds nice.....as long as its not too dear!

BlackBeast
Saturday 9th February 2013, 01:52
Cheers BB - I appreciate you taking the time. I already had turbo dynamics work their magic on the CHRA - heat jacket, hopefully it will come as part of my birthday? I have torque app to monitor things.

I am curious as to why you think I can jump 150 bhp on that turbo?? I haven't lowered the compression - however anything over 400 would be a bonus.

Not a problem.

On the GTX, as long as your using a T3 flange on the compressor housing? you should fairly easily make that sort of power imo. My set up (standard compression too) with pretty much standard T5 ignition timing and a rich fuel mixture makes a reliable 450bhp and thats with no water/meth injection.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th February 2013, 17:46
Save you having to read everything so far.
The turbo is the ATP GT internally gated t3 flanged turbine housing (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-037&Category_Code=) (0.63 A/R), imported from the US, bolted onto an modified S60r (flange ring flattened off) manifold.
To that the ATP low profile 3" v-band 5 bold adaptor (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-160&Category_Code=)was added, custom 3" stainless D/P from Chris Tullett.
Compressor and GTX301R CHRA came from Turbo Dynamics who did the work up on the core, added the brass outlet & the actuator. They also supplied the TIAL recirc BOV.
I'm using an uprated TCV from snabb.us (rated to 45 psi).

The head/block is a 2001 s60 donor which was fully overhauled, bored & rebuilt using wiseco forged 81.5mm pistons & k1 tech forged rods (http://www.k1technologies.com/)

I already have a rebuilt M56 with a quaiffe LSD, Nissens 3" core intercooler & Sachs motorsport clutch (new friction plate went in with the transplant).

I have also retained the Miltec cat back I've had since 2004.

BlackBeast
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:06
Save you having to read everything so far.
The turbo is the ATP GT internally gated t3 flanged turbine housing (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-037&Category_Code=) (0.63 A/R), imported from the US, bolted onto an modified S60r (flange ring flattened off) manifold.
To that the ATP low profile 3" v-band 5 bold adaptor (http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-160&Category_Code=)was added, custom 3" stainless D/P from Chris Tullett.
Compressor and GTX301R CHRA came from Turbo Dynamics who did the work up on the core, added the brass outlet & the actuator. They also supplied the TIAL recirc BOV.
I'm using an uprated TCV from snabb.us (rated to 45 psi).

The head/block is a 2001 s60 donor which was fully overhauled, bored & rebuilt using wiseco forged 81.5mm pistons & k1 tech forged rods (http://www.k1technologies.com/)

I already have a rebuilt M56 with a quaiffe LSD, Nissens 3" core intercooler & Sachs motorsport clutch (new friction plate went in with the transplant).

I have also retained the Miltec cat back I've had since 2004.

Looks a very good spec and thanks for condensing it all.

Do you know if TD replaced the plastic bearing cage with a metal one or if it has a metal cage as standard?

Only thing I can add is that your Milltek cat back wont be sufficient, the amount of air you are pumping through, the Milltek will be the restriction. You need a 3" cat back. Another point, the Quaife depending upon how it is set up might be overcome due to the power/torque produced, all depends what tyres you use. And thats for both road and exiting slow corners on track.

If you only had waited a few months Dave, you could have bought the main parts from me, only done 10k miles

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:15
Cat back is relatively easy to replace & yes Hamish did kinda point at it, questionably. I am only giving away 1/4 inch.

Garrett ship the GTX CHRA with a plastic cage - & I got T/D to replace it with the metal one. That's what I was eluding to earlier.

I may yet take some bigger pieces off you - Did you have the GTX?

BlackBeast
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:48
Cat back is relatively easy to replace & yes Hamish did kinda point at it, questionably. I am only giving away 1/4 inch.

Garrett ship the GTX CHRA with a plastic cage - & I got T/D to replace it with the metal one. That's what I was eluding to earlier.

I may yet take some bigger pieces off you - Did you have the GTX?

Hey, 1/4 of an inch makes all the difference LOL

Ah, sorry, completely missed your eluding.

No, I had the GT3071R with the same ATP housings all welded up to a ported S60R manifold.

t5 pete
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:51
Sorry to jump in but what bit will you be selling bb

BlackBeast
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:55
Sorry to jump in but what bit will you be selling bb

Every bit except for the block and crank as I'm breaking the car.

T5frankie
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:56
i think this year we will have the most powerful volvos on this forum for a change

hybriduno
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:59
coilovers? PLease ? lol

smithy
Saturday 9th February 2013, 18:59
i think this year we will have the most powerful volvos on this forum for a change

Who's we not me I will have 140 bhp and I will show the graphs to prove it too.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:01
Maybe??

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:02
coilovers? PLease ? lol
Vultures are already circling

T5frankie
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:03
Who's we not me I will have 140 bhp and I will show the graphs to prove it too.

wasnt talking about your effort lol

hybriduno
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:04
Vultures are already circling

Shut your gob you.....lol. i need some to progress project volvaxo lolz

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:16
No, I had the GT3071R with the same ATP housings all welded up to a ported S60R manifold.

Did you have clearance challenges on the rear engine mount?

I haven't ported or polished anything.

Volvostorm
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:31
I didn't with mine, is the ME7 slightly different?

smithy
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:32
wasnt talking about your effort lol

Effort that's what it is and not a very good one ether .now daves car is something else

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 9th February 2013, 19:49
I didn't with mine, is the ME7 slightly different? AFAIK only the VVT and the inlet shape.
I've seen that snabb.us (http://www.snabb.us/) offer delete plates for that.