PDA

View Full Version : Best solution to get a spare key?

Axeboy
Sunday 20th December 2009, 14:05
Hi Guys..

just wondering what the best option is for me to get a spare key for my s60r?

Ive searched and found a few threads talking about dealers and some forum member who can help...

Anyone up to speed with the best option of the moment?

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th December 2009, 17:11
Where about are you?

Axeboy
Sunday 20th December 2009, 18:53
Sorry, should have said, im near Glasgow

Jimmie
Sunday 20th December 2009, 20:43
Dealer is the only option for a new key
S/h keys wont work as they are programed to your car and it cant be changed.
Approx £150+ total price.
Get arnie to supply one as you bought it from them

Axeboy
Sunday 20th December 2009, 21:13
Thanks, im going to call tomorrow to confirm :)

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th December 2009, 22:16
Shame if you in Hertfordshire i could have helped you out as i know a man that can do volvo keys and programming

Rufe
Monday 21st December 2009, 00:15
I am off until the 4th of january, but if you can wait until then I can supply the parts with discount. This comes in two parts, well 3 as its a 'R', so has the separate 'R' back cover too. Generally, without being able to check this out right now there would be 20% off retail price for the parts, so is a bit of a saving. you would still need to get it programmed locally (which involves 2x software downloads).

If interested please send me a PM/email with your registration number and I will get back to you with a full quote and order reference number, and ordering details.

Simon :)

thebadger
Monday 21st December 2009, 03:18
Taggarts in Glasgow (Maryhill Road tho they are a bunch of bandits)

Or the same in Motherwell. My own garage in Paisley use them cos thier parts department is not operated by excess genitails.

Hope this helps.

Axeboy
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 11:08
Got a quote of £170 from Volvo in Stirling...

How does that seem gents?

v70torslanda
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 12:57
If that is supplied and programmed it's not a bad deal. Speak to Simon (Rufe) @ FRF to see if he can save you any dosh on the parts.

Was your car supplied by a franchised dealer? Part of the requirements for a 'Volvo Approved' used car is to supply it with all keys present and correct, IIRC.

If you didn't buy it from a Volvo dealer then you are in their hands but if they won't stump up for wishbone repairs I can't see them dipping in to their pockets to buy you a new key.

Have you tried the previous owner?

J

Axeboy
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 13:04
Hi mate, its was from Volvo Stirling arnold clark, but i dont think it came under the volvo approved scheme...

Im still chasing them regarding the above... not given up yet as its still under warranty. To be fair to the saleman, ive not really pressed the issue... yet

v70torslanda
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 14:22
The only cars a franchised dealer can sell off his forecourt are Volvo 'Approved'.

You are entitled to the balance of the vehicle warranty (3yrs/60k) subject to a minimum 12mths/20k the latter is usually 'mechanical breakdown insurance' or 'Volvo used car warranty'

The dealer is required to supply you the car in a condition commencurate with its age and mileage. They have an obligation to supply a vehicle which has a checkable service history, no major accident repairs and in as complete a condition as possible. That is why you pay a premium at a dealership.

Axeboy
Sunday 3rd January 2010, 14:27
Car is 2004, outwith manu's warranty..

Car is good condition overall to be honest.. issues are:

1. One key
2. Lower arms bushes - they have checked, claim fine, my mech says otherwise
3. Brake judder at higher speeds (+50mph) but discs and pads appear fresh

Ive sent the dealer an email (letter to follow) regarding what they wish to do about it. Then i'll take it further.

Am i expecting too much? Car has 45k miles

v70torslanda
Monday 4th January 2010, 00:58
I'll lay odds that you sort the wishbones and the high speed judder just goes away.

Do bear in mind that none of this is going to get any better. If the bushes are gone the wheels will toe out under power/braking. This will lead to 'tramlining' or following white lines or tarmac joints. This will give you uneven tyre wear - just what you want when your boots are over 200 quid a pair - which will leave you wondering wear the 'R magic' went when, for the umpteenth time, the car has suddenly and violently changed direction again on a wet slip road.

Guess how I know this . . .