PDA

View Full Version : Possible return in a V70R

britten_mark
Saturday 19th December 2009, 13:36
Hello peeps. Have not been away from the forum long after selling my 1997 V70R a few months back - huge mistake. Missing the V70s desperately, and seen an 05 R auto. IS there anything particular to watch out for with these cars? I'm afraid my knowledge is limited to the older 850 generation.

The only cloud I can see on the horizon is the emissions and what plans this deceitful barstward government has to retrospectively sodomise us with. At least with an old R this wouldn't be a problem, but they are getting aged and there are so few good ones left.

PS has all that angle drive crap on the older cars been sorted yet?

britten_mark
Saturday 16th January 2010, 21:17
Well despite the deluge of replies I've gone ahead and bought this, trusting to luck and an extended warranty, so if it all goes wrong it's your fault ;-)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4279202627_3fe672fc50_o.jpg

Feels so much tighter than my old R which it should do with half the miles, and has a nice look that reminds me of our sweet old 850 T5. Looking forward to some continental holidays with the kids before they grow up and leave (hopefully)

phil_woods
Saturday 16th January 2010, 21:21
really nice car mate, welcome back!

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 16th January 2010, 21:40
Love the colour, and /\/\ wot he said.

scooter
Saturday 16th January 2010, 22:57
nice colour and very nice car congrats

volvokid
Sunday 17th January 2010, 00:19
Love it thats all I need to say on that one, have fun!!!!

Storm-Troll
Sunday 17th January 2010, 00:41
Laser Blue. very nice mate.. has to be my Fav colour on a car..>!!!

volvokid
Sunday 17th January 2010, 00:54
Laser Blue. very nice mate.. has to be my Fav colour on a car..>!!!

Sonic blue :P

Storm-Troll
Sunday 17th January 2010, 01:13
Sonic blue :P

lol wondered who would be the first to pick up on that.. lol well done. u get first prize hehe:hail:

Tomcat
Sunday 17th January 2010, 01:17
Welcome back, lovin the new car, I'd like one of them myself but sadly funds wont allow it. Hope it turns out to be a good one.

volvokid
Sunday 17th January 2010, 12:15
lol wondered who would be the first to pick up on that.. lol well done. u get first prize hehe:hail:

First prize for being a woozer

Storm-Troll
Sunday 17th January 2010, 15:49
First prize for being a woozer

Woozer? im unfamiliar with one of those.. is that a club you joined or is that hereditary lol :eek::D

volvokid
Sunday 17th January 2010, 17:52
Woozer? im unfamiliar with one of those.. is that a club you joined or is that hereditary lol :eek::D

Its slightly worse than a loser :blahblah: now were's my coat!!!

v70torslanda
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:10
Can't find the jealous smiley.

Oh well! I'll get one one day . . .

britten_mark
Sunday 17th January 2010, 18:48
Well I missed out on LeeT5s car by a whisker, and knew the next car had to be laser/sonic (are they the same colour?).

There is a P1 V70R W plate for sale on Pistonheads I was tempted by, but on 16" wheels, and it felt like starting all over again with my last car; the legendary, never-ending quest for a set of mint 17" Pegs or 18"Comets.

TBH I still think the old 850/V70 cars looked better, that lovely squareness Peter Horbury called "the biscuit tin"! Trouble is it's hard to get an 850 or P1 V70 that hasn't orbited the sun a couple of times now. If they still made the old shape I'd still buy 'em.

Have to admit to being thrilled/scared in equal measure by this car, it a complicated beast compared to the last one, but feels well solid. We shall see....

aftershock
Monday 18th January 2010, 13:39
Well I missed out on LeeT5s car by a whisker, and knew the next car had to be laser/sonic (are they the same colour?).

There is a P1 V70R W plate for sale on Pistonheads I was tempted by, but on 16" wheels, and it felt like starting all over again with my last car; the legendary, never-ending quest for a set of mint 17" Pegs or 18"Comets.

TBH I still think the old 850/V70 cars looked better, that lovely squareness Peter Horbury called "the biscuit tin"! Trouble is it's hard to get an 850 or P1 V70 that hasn't orbited the sun a couple of times now. If they still made the old shape I'd still buy 'em.

Have to admit to being thrilled/scared in equal measure by this car, it a complicated beast compared to the last one, but feels well solid. We shall see....

Wellll your loss was my gain! lol sorrrrrrrrrry!!

Still haven't been able to enjoy Lees car yet (long story) but it is a great car .. I have a big smile on my face!!!

I'll post some pics and a proper post soon......!

Storm-Troll
Monday 18th January 2010, 14:45
lol

LeeT5
Friday 22nd January 2010, 21:06
Hi Britten Mark (this reply is mainly for you but anyone with a late V/S70 R can refer).

After picking up my 04 'R' last week and gently driving home, i managed to get her into the garage for a 'Health' check. The only problems with the car at the moment are:

all 4 wishbone bushes are worn.
Underbelly tray - missing
Front fuel hose cradle, clip broken - common fault. (replaced whilst in the air)
2 x tyres nearly worn (put on the back until i replace in a few months)

Bonus points so far: Current mileage 107,000m
Full dealer service history up to and including last service at 101,000.

Air-con regassed at 98,000
HU-803 headunit replaced with oe recon unit at 71,797 (replaced under extended warranty)
Clutch assembly/release bearing assembly/Dual mass flywheel all replaced at 82, 557
Cambelt/tensioners/waterpump all replaced at 96,313
Bevel/Angle gear box removed and replaced with new at 101,946
o/s/f shock absorber replaced at 101,946
TCS replaced and ECM software update at 101,946

Happy days!! Practically all the most common expensive failures have been replaced recently. Result :)

Prices: (not inc fitting and Vat)
Dual mass flywheel £608
Clutch ass' £273
Release bearing ass' £86
water pump £63.50
Shock absorber £430
angle gear £756
TCV £39

Total: £2255.50!!
Labour costs at just under £2000!!

britten_mark
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 01:11
I have read the gearbox slave cylinders are a common fail too.

the_boy
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 10:31
Nice car Mark, I looked at this recently when thinking about getting rid of the BMW.

Good luck with it!

britten_mark
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 11:40
Thanks, I'll need it! It feels so much more sophisticated than the older Volvo we have had.

I think you would miss the BMW ride quality, but the all-weather capability and sheer useability of a Volvo performance wagon is awesome.

LeeT5
Saturday 23rd January 2010, 17:14

Yes, however mine was changed when the clutch was done (forgot to post). It is common practice to change not only the clutch (flywheel if needed) but also the slave cylinder, release fork and bearing (normally part of the clutch kit).

All the above components were replaced at 82,577 miles inc new flywheel bolts, gearbox oil etc etc.

LeeT5
Friday 5th February 2010, 00:56

Maybe, but mine was replaced along with the clutch and flywheel.