PDA

View Full Version : TRACS - is mine working?

Flatout Phil
Thursday 17th December 2009, 14:58
850R manual. The TRACS light comes on at ignition as it should and goes out. But whenever I drive and get wheelspin, I am not entirely sure TRACS is working. The light does not flicker - I think it does on some cars when the TRACS is operating, and LSD aside, wheelspin (especially in this damp weather) is apparent. Whether it is on or off, the system seems to work the same. What SHOULD it feel like if it is working properly?
Any opinions welcomed.

I found a thread about a year old - Mrs Mopp says it is all but useless over 20mph, and someone else only good in the snow (could be handy tomorrow - if it works).

T5ER
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:06
i think it should back the revs off mate and try and eliminate the wheelspin

Tomcat
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:06
Yeah it's pretty much bloody useless, mine spins all over the place.

volvokid
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:14
I think TRACS on the 850's only work if your going somthing like 20mph or slower.

PaulZX
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:28
20 mph or slower? Mine can wheelspin away on a dry road in 2nd gear...... with tracs on.... TRACS is the equivalent of a chocolate teapot .....

Volvostorm
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:32
20 mph or slower? Mine can wheelspin away on a dry road in 2nd gear...... with tracs on.... TRACS is the equivalent of a chocolate teapot .....

Yeah, my can do :saint:

80mph is her favourite speed to start spinning too :crazy:

T5ER
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:36
allways turned mine off, on the R hmmmmmmmm very pointless indeed

thebadger
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:37
The DSTC was the only decent version they've made, & even that's a touch :pants:

I'd get some studded tyres, should warn other motorists with the sparks...

jez.w
Thursday 17th December 2009, 15:46
Mines the same, it doesnt seem to make any difference on or off.

thebadger
Thursday 17th December 2009, 16:04
The standard TRACS was prone to failure (electronic solder cracks) and was really no use above 30mph.

I'd switch it off. It's a waste of electrical power!

Flatout Phil
Thursday 17th December 2009, 16:04
Oh well. Thanks for all those. In th ehandbook is says it is only active below 40 kmh - but I have to say it is:pants::pants::pants::pants: City USA!

pjaystar
Thursday 17th December 2009, 17:30
mine is rubbish but i always turn it off

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 17th December 2009, 18:48
Yeah TRACS only works up to 25mph, and because its an early attempt at some kind of anti-wheelspin control its quite useless. But it does work, if I turn mine off the wheelspin lasts longer than it does when its on LOL.

p fandango
Thursday 17th December 2009, 18:57
The DSTC was the only decent version they've made, & even that's a touch :pants:
DSTC works quite well on Bonny, it does have a rare moment when it doesn't kick it quite as quickly as it should. But who would of thought you could wheelspin a Diesel anyway lol

TRACS does only work upto 25mph

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 17th December 2009, 19:11
But who would of thought you could wheelspin a Diesel anyway
Who would want to? LOL

woking rob
Thursday 17th December 2009, 19:31
when mine is on it will only spin 1 wheel at a time
and in the hand book it says it runs through the abs and mine does judder when alot when going down my local b roads

p fandango
Thursday 17th December 2009, 19:32
Who would want to? LOL
atleast you can try & blag it by saying the black smoke is off the tyres not the exhaust lol

Flatout Phil
Friday 18th December 2009, 14:44
Well I have now tried it in the snow and yes, it does work! I can hear it clicking and it generally keeps a much straighter course with it on than when it is off. So I guess TRACS is for traction control in snow and mud.
Not much use in suburbia.

bobbych
Friday 18th December 2009, 16:17
this post mentioned TURNING OFF Tracs? my 850 has TRACKS [i assume, switch is there anyway] Now, when i turn it on, the light comes on, and off, it goes off.

So my question the NORMAL mode seems to be off, not on, and you switch it ON when needed, or am I completly incorrect? does the light mean it is OFF??

Flatout Phil
Friday 18th December 2009, 17:30
this post mentioned TURNING OFF Tracs? my 850 has TRACKS [i assume, switch is there anyway] Now, when i turn it on, the light comes on, and off, it goes off.

So my question the NORMAL mode seems to be off, not on, and you switch it ON when needed, or am I completly incorrect? does the light mean it is OFF??

When the light is on the system is off. When the ABS/TRACS ECU goes on the blink - as they all do in the end, the ABS and TRACS light come on to show the systems are not working.

bobbych
Friday 18th December 2009, 17:36
ta, so mine is ON unless i operate the switch, to turn it OFF, and the amber LED on the switch lets me know it is off? A lot of lights are not working on my dash, so i would prob not see a dash light

p fandango
Friday 18th December 2009, 17:43
ta, so mine is ON unless i operate the switch, to turn it OFF, and the amber LED on the switch lets me know it is off? A lot of lights are not working on my dash, so i would prob not see a dash light
yeh its the same on the P2 stuff with DSTC, you get a warning light & message saying the system is off

kevin4878
Friday 18th December 2009, 19:08
"I'd get some studded tyres, should warn other motorists with the sparks..."
That would be awesome!!!!

Al115
Friday 18th December 2009, 19:39
TRACS basically brakes the spinning wheel - it doesn't cut the power (you have to do that yourself with the right foot!) It's useful as a safety device in snow, and useless as a tool to get you off the line quicker on the strip :D

woody
Saturday 19th December 2009, 17:32
Mines the same, it doesnt seem to make any difference on or off.

I'm with you on that one Jez! Bloody useless.

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 14:13
went out on the icy roads this morning & had a bit of a play/trial on a deserted back street. The STC didn't really do anything in 1st gear, it just let the wheelspin & flashed the light. 2nd gear worked very well & almost stopped them spinning completely, it slowed the car that much it wouldn't of been happy changing up into 3rd. Turned the STC off & span right unto the governor in 4th lol

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 17:35
I've just been 4 wheel drifting on the works carpark wheeeeeeeeee

p fandango
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 21:26
I've just been 4 wheel drifting on the works carpark wheeeeeeeeee
We had a bit of a play on the quiet roads with the handbrake in my bro's Festa, bloke walking his dog didn't look too impressed as we slide past him going backwards lol. Quite bad handling really becuase it just snapped back the other way & span out, BT just pulls herself back inline & carries on

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 22:12
My handbrake doesn't work, it just slightly slows the car down.

The works car park has a nice big bit of open space with a central isle to go sideways round. Just trying to learn how the car reacts as its a bit unpredictable.

Had some more snow tonight (heavy but short, only an inch deep), caught everyone off guard as the forecast was for rain, and the gritters hadn't been out. Caused chaos on our road (we live on quite a steep hill). We've got the nieces staying over tonight, so we've been playin in the snow,building snowmen and watchin all the cars struggle up the hill, and some idiot had an accident further up and blocked the road up (was goin too fast apparently).

Gouldy
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 22:24
must admit the STC system on my S60 is very good, 10x better than the 350z system

phil_woods
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 23:39
My p1 v70 sounds very similar to the observations mentioned. If my tracs is off both wheels spin up, tracs on and only the nearside wheel spins with a clicking/grinding sound. I thought mine was broken but it sounds like everyone elses

nick
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 23:50
that's exactly the same as mine - i thought the damm TRACS might be broken making that 'orrible noise from the nearside wheel.

why does it just spin the inside wheel ? - a faulty ABS sensor on that wheel ?. no warning lights though - confused....

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 23:54
The noise is from the pump, which is situated next to the near side wheel arch by the bulkhead

nick
Wednesday 23rd December 2009, 23:57
ahhh - of course.....thanks bomb

****walks away, slightly embarrassed !!****

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 24th December 2009, 00:07
LOL dude, no worries, it does sound wierd (like a vibraslap percussion instrument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibraslap see bottom right for sound clip)

I tested my whole system by jacking it and starting the engine and putting it in gear, then stopped each wheel to see what happened.

As mine is the AWD, the rear wheels when stopped activate the auto diff lock and immediately start spinning again with no slip. The O/S wheel when stopped I heard the tracs kick in and it start to spin with a little slip (tracs system pulsing). And the N/S wheel I could stop, hear the tracs work, the wheel would try to spin, but I could hold it with my hand, just a slight pulsing of power to the wheel but that was it. I'm not sure why that was, my tracs system could be faulty, or it could be something mechanical I dunno, but at least the rear wheels with the mechanical interference work.

cameron
Thursday 24th December 2009, 00:38
So if the systems on then theres no light and if you turn it off you get the light.

Then how come i have no light at all, ive checked the bulb and even changed the dash switch.

Hopefully now since my abs ecu has just been resoldered it may start working again :B_thumb:

phil_woods
Thursday 24th December 2009, 00:46
Last owner may have disconnected it cos it was knackered lee ??? Just throwing it out there I'm probs wrong again lol

cameron
Thursday 24th December 2009, 00:52
Disconnect it where though phil ?

Ive looked about the engine bay and there were no loose wires / plugs etc :confused:

Also there was power going to the switch it was tested whilst changing the switches over.

phil_woods
Thursday 24th December 2009, 01:24
Is it not possible to take the bulb/led or whatever out from the dash? Mate I dunno it was just a suggestion and besides all this why are you up so late?

cameron
Thursday 24th December 2009, 01:26
Just been wrapping pressies for 4 kids :cry:

phil_woods
Thursday 24th December 2009, 01:34
Just been wrapping pressies for 4 kids :cry:

I have to do all mine tomorrow night, gutted!! I still think my tracs is broken lol

cameron
Thursday 24th December 2009, 01:36
LOL :D

Hope you have a gud'n buddy, i'll be putting my abs ecu back on tomorrow, i'll let you know how i get on with the tracs etc :B_thumb:

Checking out for the now :santawave

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 24th December 2009, 10:52
I have never heard so much clicking recently - the TRACS and ABS.

With the snow and stuff it really does make a difference - well a small one...

phil_woods
Thursday 24th December 2009, 13:15
I have never heard so much clicking recently - the TRACS and ABS.

With the snow and stuff it really does make a difference - well a small one...

I agree my ABS works a treat but ill be honest and say that if my TRACS is working right then it is crap. I have had loads of cars with traction control and this is the worst yet.
Fords cut the power which is really intrusive but I think in this weather is idiot proof which would be good news for me lol

cameron
Thursday 24th December 2009, 21:09
Phiiiiiiilllllllllll :D

Replaced the ABS ECU today and hey presto the tracs now works as it should do again :B_thumb:

Plus ive got my speedo back which is brilliant as i didnt like not having it.

The ecu soldering thing was easy, the hardest bit was getting into it in the first place :grumpy:

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 24th December 2009, 21:55
Phiiiiiiilllllllllll :D

Replaced the ABS ECU today and hey presto the tracs now works as it should do again :B_thumb:

Plus ive got my speedo back which is brilliant as i didnt like not having it.

The ecu soldering thing was easy, the hardest bit was getting into it in the first place :grumpy:

See, told ya it was easy! Piece of cake innit? And yeah, getting the lid off is a hard task.

phil_woods
Thursday 24th December 2009, 23:40
Nice one lee, made up for u. Now you can come and do some work on my car since you are that good.... I have a few dents and a full service that needs doing lol. On a serious note did that repair actually cost you anything except for the new tools that you needed??

cameron
Friday 25th December 2009, 10:50
No mate totally free :D

The best sort of repair :B_thumb:

Borrowed the soldering iron of a neighbour, solder was in it already so i didnt have to buy any.

The only expense was the set of Tengtools Female Torx - £25.

More than happy to help you out buddy, give us a tinkle i'll pm you my number and when you need a lift phone me.

PM sent.

phil_woods
Friday 25th December 2009, 12:32
How good is that, there is nothing better than fixing something and noticing the difference and if it's free it makes it oh so much better.