PDA

View Full Version : Headlight problems

MobyUK
Monday 14th December 2009, 18:45
Hi. I've been somewhat dissatisfied with my V70 headlights, especially when on dip on country roads. Looking at the reflectors, which I assumed would be a bright mirror finish, they are dull silver, as you might get if you sprayed them with a silver aerosol. Is this right or should they be mirrored?

thebadger
Monday 14th December 2009, 19:15
They should be shiny, not really mirrord, what you *may* be able to do is ask around very nicely in the wanted section & someone who has swapped over a set of standard headlights for projectors may sell or be willing to do a swap (for postage) for a newer or better conditiond set of headlights (complete set) to replace the dull set.

Just a thought of a route to follow.

roy chu
Friday 18th December 2009, 12:15
I agree, maybe a change of headlight might be an improvement, I too had a V70 T5 and got my projectr headlamps and matching indicators from PFS.

They looked fantastic, there are a couple of pics on a volvo gallery, here is the link, see if its your cup of tea, alternatively, there is also HID's as an option, they are mean't to be very good.

timbo_1975
Friday 18th December 2009, 14:12
Just to clarify- are you able to fit the OE levelling motors to these headlamps at all??

I have HID's with the standard lamps, and it improves them 100%, but the projectors would be another step on again.

MobyUK
Friday 18th December 2009, 14:45
Thanks for the comments folks. I may well have a look at the projectors. The HID conversions, as I understand it, are actually illegal on reflectors which aren't specifically designed for them.

timbo_1975
Friday 18th December 2009, 16:49
[QUOTE=MobyUK;276108]Thanks for the comments folks. I may well have a look at the projectors. The HID conversions, as I understand it, are actually illegal on reflectors which aren't specifically designed for them...

Incorrect. The current MOT requirement for headlights is that the aim must be correct as per the alignment machine on both dip and mainbeam, and that the cut-off when on dip is properly defined-again according to the machine.

If HID's are fitted, then they must have means to clean the lense (i.e. wipers and or washers) and they should have means to level the lamp unit as the load in the car alters. There is no requirement for this to be automatic, nor for it to be operable from the cabin.

Therefore, most Volvo's satisfy the MOT when HID's are fitted in the OE lamps.

roy chu
Friday 18th December 2009, 18:45
When I got the new projector cluster set, the height adjuster was manual, but you can swap the oem auto ones you have straight in them, and they work a treat.

with my projector lenses, I had 7000khalogen bulbs, got a nice hint of blue to them. Not to blue, but they are a nice colour. And for the side lights, you can get some 501 LED bulbs. Ties it all together nicely, and then if you also went for HIDs, well I think it would look amazing as I never tried that one.