PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Question ?

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 13th December 2009, 14:48
Hi Peeps. and a good afternoon to all :-)
A chap at work who owned a 850 said to me, when I come round to changing my spark plugs I should opt for the multi type with the extra arms thingys on them LoL ( having a blonde moment forgot the name )
but I have heard eleswhere that these plugs can cause damage by burning too hot ??
does any one have and ideas ??
many thanks
neil

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 14:53
Hi Peeps. and a good afternoon to all :-)
A chap at work who owned a 850 said to me, when I come round to changing my spark plugs I should opt for the multi type with the extra arms thingys on them LoL ( having a blonde moment forgot the name )
but I have heard eleswhere that these plugs can cause damage by burning too hot ??
does any one have and ideas ??
i used to use Bosch Super 4's in my cheesewedge & did look for them for the 850, but sure they only listed them for the T-5R. I was new at the time & didn't realise they are the same as the normal T-5 so just brought normal plugs

i have heard of arms falling off the multi-sparkplugs but not sure on all of the details so could of been the wrong grade for the car etc

Shortbusdriver1969
Sunday 13th December 2009, 14:56
arms falling off !!!! that sounds expensive !!! :-0

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 15:09
arms falling off !!!! that sounds expensive !!! :-0
as i say i can't remember the full details so might of been an exempt on a very highly modified car, i ran them fine on my cheesewedge. But no its not a good idea having the spark plugs falling apart lol

callyuk
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:36
i used the bosch super 4's on my old 2.0ltr calibra and within 6 months they had burnt through the ceramic would never try them again

cameron
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:54
Genuine ones are supposedly about the best you can buy for these mate :B_thumb:

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th December 2009, 20:56
Genuine ones are supposedly about the best you can buy for these mate :B_thumb:
I'll second that, and they're only £30 ish from Rufe!

nobananas
Sunday 13th December 2009, 22:37
All spark plugs have a heat rating, the number of electrodes however has no relation to it. Most VW's have multi-electrode plugs or 'triple chancers' as we call 'em at wotk !

Jod T5
Monday 14th December 2009, 13:31
IMO a hype...

Contrary to popular belief you don't get 3 or 4 sparks depending on how many electrodes there are . The spark will always take the easiest path , that is the electrode with the smallest gap .. when this wears the spark will have more difficulty bridging the gap and will choose the next easiest route , one of the unworn electrodes etc etc .. The purpose of multi electrode plugs is long life that's all . These plugs now last 72000 miles on the later Volvo with the "R" engine type plugs ..

Jod

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th December 2009, 14:31
There is but one code you need to remember - NGK BKR7EVX

99% of the time they are just the best - and about a fiver per hole!

Even J said so - and that was 4 years ago...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=541&highlight=BKR7EVX

Unfortunately I run my car like a lune - so I have gone up one to the iridium 8's by NGK. Just had a look at mine after 8K, to which said infamous Volvo indie garage owner's chief mechanic (to the stars) aka Tom, said they were the best colour plugs he had seen in his entire life.

Those multi arm jobbies are just a fad.

princepugh
Monday 14th December 2009, 14:43
There is but one code you need to remember - NGK BKR7EVX

99% of the time they are just the best - and about a fiver per hole!

I'd totally agree with that.

nobananas
Monday 14th December 2009, 23:51
That's whats in mine too ! Don't think they were a fiver each though !

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 09:49
That's all I ever paid.

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 13:19
OE everytime.

However I am non-turbo - so there may be a case for the above.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 15:23
Tis tried tested and trusted for T5 for a long time. (good aliteration eh?).

Mental Wealth Doctor
Saturday 19th December 2009, 17:50
ngk irridium, keeps lpg happy too

PHIL V70R
Saturday 19th December 2009, 18:01
now then o,great ones,,lol,,any viwes on what plugs to fit the v70R 2.3...

T5ER
Saturday 19th December 2009, 18:06
standard or ngk iridium plugs, seen modded skylines with over 600bhp with ngk iridium plugs as they are a must apperently