PDA

View Full Version : Some basic servicing on an S60 D5

mas
Sunday 13th December 2009, 12:11
Lo all, I have never clainmed to be Mr mechanic. In fact I never do more than check fluids and change bulbs.

It's 'well past' time I had an oil change etc , in fact embarassingly so which is naughty. I have a local oil change type centre who are good eggs and will change my oil and filter usinng semi-synthetic at very reasonable cost so I am going to go for that. What is an essential service part for the engine that I should have done also , woud I be right in thinking change the fuel filter and if so is this something I can do easily , is it hard to get at (where etc) .
Any other things I really should get done ?

I should add I do get my break linings done regularly and tyres , those are the two things I have never scrimped on.

Ta Mas

Chad
Sunday 13th December 2009, 12:56
Depending on mileage, changing the filters would be good, ie oil, air, fuel and pollen or just just change them anyway depending on how long you have left the service.....

remind them to change the sump plug washer too........

maybe get your brake fluid checked for contamination and your coolant strength.......

hope this helps..........

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 13:28
i think it very hard to tell when my D5 needs a service. With BT when she starts rattling i know she needs oil, Bonny rattles anyway so never know when she needs looking at lol

RobbieH
Sunday 13th December 2009, 16:46
I've slowly been replacing most of the bits on my V70 D5 to bring it to "zero time" as far as I'm concerned. So far all suspension changed (springs, shocks, drop links, front bushes), all new/refurbished brakes (discs, pads, Goodridge braided lines, fluid, refurbished calipers with all new seals) plus a few other bits and bobs.

For regular servicing I'm now setting the following schedule:

every 6 months
oil and filter change (4-5000 miles)

every 12 months (10-12,000 miles)
fuel filter
air filter

every 12 months
pollen filter
EGR clean

every 2 years
flush and replace brake fluid
coolant (just done mine inc. flush with clean water, the first time it's ever been done according to my records inc. FSH from previous)

I'm also just wondering whether to do an intercooler flush or just leave it well alone (unless it eventually pops as they appear to have a habit of doing)???

Hopefully that should help me get a good few years out of the barge and twice round the clock at least (unless even diseasel gets tooo much to afford in future times).

p fandango
Sunday 13th December 2009, 17:09
I'm also just wondering whether to do an intercooler flush or just leave it well alone (unless it eventually pops as they appear to have a habit of doing)??
funny you should say that, Bonny seems to be squirting oil over the internal bonnet slam panel, get oilly finger when you touch the bonnet catch & seems to be some coming out from the front of the grill. Any ideas, what are the signs of the intercooler going?

RobbieH
Sunday 13th December 2009, 17:32
funny you should say that, Bonny seems to be squirting oil over the internal bonnet slam panel, get oilly finger when you touch the bonnet catch & seems to be some coming out from the front of the grill. Any ideas, what are the signs of the intercooler going?

IIRC If the intercooler starts leaking, it's the same as a boost pipe blowing - loss of boost, smoking exhaust, etc. The other thing to note is oil on the engine tray under the intercooler / radiator assembly.

I'm not sure if oil would be on top of the slam panel given that the intercooler is at the "bottom" if you see what I mean. I think V70Torslanda or redbrick might be the people to ask as they have both popped intercoolers in the past.

Touch wood, not happened to me.

Redbrick
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 10:04
For regular servicing I'm now setting the following schedule:

every 6 months
oil and filter change (4-5000 miles)

every 12 months (10-12,000 miles)
fuel filter
air filter

every 12 months
pollen filter
EGR clean

every 2 years
flush and replace brake fluid
coolant (just done mine inc. flush with clean water, the first time it's ever been done according to my records inc. FSH from previous)

Pretty much what I do. Oil every 5K, I can also tell when it needs it as it starts sounding rough.
I tap the air filter out every month and probably clean it properly every 6 months (soak in heavy duty degreaser over night and then powerwash- the crap that comes out of it is remarkable).
Fuel filter is easy if the previous changer hasn't overtightened it.
Pollen filter is very easy but very expensive for what it is, just a normal filter with some activated carbon- gets filthy very quickly to.
The EGR clean is something I've done in the past but maybe it should be done on a regular basis.
I've now changed nearly all the intercooler/boost hoses on the car. The oil likes to rot them out and make them weak.
The slightest indication of smoke on acceleration or drop in economy will have me looking for problems in future. When the car is running A1 I can't see any from my wing mirrors.
If the intercooler is split there will be oil staining on the matrix and oil on the tray in front of the under tray. Mine also whistles as it has split again, only fitted 10/2007.
Brake pads and discs are easy, rear shoes IMHO are a pain and I'd pay MRG to do them again.
Cambelt- no chance, knowing me I'd stuff it up.

thebadger
Tuesday 15th December 2009, 10:23
Fuel filter is on the drivers side, in front of the rear wheel, I think?